Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Xenonauts 2

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Tzaero, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Goldhawk Goldhawk Interactive Developer

Goldhawk
    Hey, it's hard to keep your hair clean on the frontlines! :) It looks to me like the beard is most of the problem there - it's very dark on the bottom and sides. Does the hair alone class as blonde to you, or is that too dark even by itself?

Since the £35 tier with the portrait editor has been super-popular, I'm probably going to ask the artist to do some additional revisions and some extra art for it before the end of the Kickstarter. If you've got comments on how it could be improved then by all means post them up.

^ Top  
  2. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I just want to be able to make a super blond swede. By the way, the five o clock shadow goes outside the narrow face template on males, the white person one at least.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. PanteraNera Erudite

PanteraNera
    Goldhawk I did some research for you, looking for true blond.
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Conclusion: if you add true blond Alienman will probably ask next for an uniform editor. Also SJW will be all over you.
    Advice: add light blond instead!

• incline incline x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. PhantasmaNL Arcane Patron

PhantasmaNL
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
    Looks promising, backed.
    The stretch goals are not that exciting tbh.
    Btw with over 640 'custom' soldiers in the pool my guess is there will be 'some' doppelgangers.

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  6. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Gray hair would be nice too :)

So I can make:

[​IMG]

Edit:

You can see that the "five o clock" shadow goes outside the face on PhantasmaNL picture.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Wait is this a remake? Like, a group of developers made something, and now they are doing remake? I don't hold it against developers like Vogel, or disabled, or freeware makers... But an established commercial group is something different. What about some skill and courage of making new stuff?

And I don't like what I seen on kickstarter. Even UFO:ET had locational damage.

^ Top  
  8. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    I think the devs should try to innovate - and by that I mean GOOD innovation, like more complex systems, not streamlining - because competition is tougher than ever. Especially when you see stuff like OpenX-COM Mods - Piratez being the foremost example.

For example, one feature I think that Xenonauts got beat compared to OpenX-COM, is the air game. One of the problems of the X-COM airgame is that its pretty much a UFO shooting gallery. To the UFOs, your vessels might as well not even exist - which makes sense in the early game where they probably laugh at your puny jets while they zoom around with Elerium engines that enable them to go up to Mach 7. But later on, it makes no sense that the UFOs are letting your vessels stroll around. They can only hurt you in the Geoscape in three ways - taking down your intercepting planes, base attacks and country infiltration.

They can't, for example, decide to mount a Combat Air Patrol around a mission site and then shoot down any X-COM aircraft that get near. Or mount a Counter-Air Patrol over an area they suspect has X-COM bases, in order to shoot down your aircraft at the start of their path. They can't counter-intercept you. Alien UFOs can totally attack you in Xeno, althrough I think Xeno does a mistake when it seems that alien UFOs can always be detected - they should be able to hide.

Also the air combat in Xeno is more fun.

Another feature I like is being able to bombard UFO sites, which is pretty much a way to get rid of shitty scouts and small saucers that are more hassle than it is worth.

^ Top  
  9. Arctrax Literate

Arctrax
    Looks nice, funded!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    https://www.kickstarter.com/project...gic-planetary-defence-simulator/posts/2223103

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. Goldhawk Goldhawk Interactive Developer

Goldhawk
    So, a question for you guys - one I thought I'd ask here because this forum tends to cater to the more hardcore side of the strategy community.

When you guys play Xenonauts and / or 1994 X-Com, to what extent and for what purpose do you make use of secondary bases in both games? Do you set up secondary teams of soldiers when you play, or was that something you experimented with a couple of times and then stopped doing, or never tried? Do you build up secondary manufacturing bases in X-Com to fund your entire organisation by mass-producing Laser Cannons and not do that in Xenonauts? Are they just interceptor bases? Do you station troops at them to defend them, or use defence batteries? Anything else you can think of that might be relevant too.

^ Top  
  12. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    I use secondary bases to extend reach and response time, as important as the first/main base.

^ Top  
  13. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    In UFO 1994 I made all you said here. I did radar/interceptor only bases and I did manufacture/research only bases. UFO 1994 has a nice "trick". Aliens only look for your bases when you intercept their craft in that area.
    So you could place your manufacture/research bases with just radar in areas where you mostly don't touch alien craft and you didn't need to have any troops or batteries there as aliens would not find them except by pure luck.

As for Xenonauts I don't know the logic behind that game, but I mostly tried to do something similar. I also dominated aliens in airgame so completely they never got a chance to attack anything so I didn't really bother with base defenses much, I just made more aircraft to shoot down any and all UFOs. But I did keep at least two teams for ground missions in two different bases.

EDIT: Let me also add I like to play on harder difficulties and on ironman.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    ^ Top  
  14. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    I usually build a secondary base which will be built to have full capabilities like primary base, rest tend be interceptor/radar facilities with token defensive force.

^ Top  
  15. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2

^ Top  
  16. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    I make a second base and staff it fully, deluding myself that I'll develop it into a full fledged secondary HQ competing with the main one, and then I end up using only the A-team anyway.

Other bases I set up with hangars + radars + lots of defence guns + token defensive force (usually tanks and like 4 dudes) in case anything somehow manages to get through.

i dont think i've ever had to mass-produce lazers

^ Top  
  17. Goldhawk Goldhawk Interactive Developer

Goldhawk
    I guess the final question I should have asked is - and why do you choose to do that? Is it because you can't fit that functionality into your main base, or for a specific strategic reason? Or is it because it's just kinda fun to build a big second base even though you don't strictly need to do so?

^ Top  
  18. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    I usually build second bases because of larp reasons. Like building up a b-team on Base 2 that fight the a-team on Base 1 for glory. I imagine b-team laughs when a-team is taking causalities. B-team is such bastards :argh:

I also build smaller radar like bases, but I do keep a couple of soldiers there with older type of weapons, weapons no longer used by a or b-team. Always exciting when the aliens raid one of those outposts and you get to fight off high-tech aliens with a bunch of rookies and older equipment. Survivors might even get a chance to enlist in the a or b team :)

^ Top  
  19. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    I see what you are trying to do here with that second question.. trying to get us the hardcore players to cover for your one base choice in Xeno 2 and you come into this by already having your mind made up.

Well I am not an expert in your Xeno 1 but UFO on hardest difficulty and ironman was designed well enough that you needed to get an edge wherever you could get one and that meant making manufacturing bases and being rich enough to get to make more new bases faster and have enough money to be able to buy new troops and equipment for them as well as recovery from bad missions. So making more bases was not something "you don't strictly need to do", it was the best play and best way to guarantee success.
    Also base defense missions could always go sideways fast and having another one with troops and equipment ready to take over immediately was also a smart play.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. PanteraNera Erudite

PanteraNera
    as I haven't played Xeno 1 enough I can't comment on it. I played UFO:EU since its release every now and than.
    Well I had a main-base with my A-Team and a second-base with my B-Team, also a researcher base and an crafting base. Never bothered doing a C-Team base as two teams with enough spare member are enough. A couple of interception bases and rest radar bases.

The reasons:
    - Two bases with two teams on different places on earth: quick response time, also a backup team if a missions ends really terrible, also easier to recover if one base is lost
    - research / crafting base: I like to have specialized bases, easier to manage, also if one or both main-bases get destroyed I still can research and craft for money
    - Interception bases: quick response time and to cover countries I could not with my two main bases

^ Top  
  21. Joined on the 4th of July Arcane

Joined on the 4th of July
    Yeah, backup base with full functionality was really good to have in UFO, if you weren't using reload spell.

^ Top  
  22. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    The most important use of a secondary base in the original was to prevent game-over from base attacks. I have actually lost my primary base once in the first month and had to restart with a secondary that was still under construction.

Specialization is also important, as bases have limited space and at some point its better to specialize in research/manufracture bases to pump out greater income and faster research.

So, generally:

- Primary Base
    - Secondary Base
    - Production Base
    - Research Base
    With the rest being a mix of interception/radar and storage.

Can't fit. Its also strategic and keeps things simple and logical. Its also fun to be a secret organization with worldwide bases, and fallback bases in case mine fall down to enemy attacks.

^ Top  
  23. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    I don't mind getting rid or changing the base system, but do remember that the design philosophy of the original X-COM was all about simulationism. Substituting it with a arcadey single-base system is dumb. Always ask yourself: What happens if the aliens come in and blow up my base - you know, the one with all the officers, soldiers, the retrieved tech, etc? If you can't provide a in-game answer beyond "You die lol" and no ways to address it, you need to change the design.

The FiraxisCOM system failed because it made base attacks not happen (except a scripted event), it made you have a secret organization with a single base worldwide, and led to a passive geoscape where you just press on a button and wait to get new missions. Compare to the original's, where its necessary to look at the charts to see where alien activity is, and use aircraft to spot enemy UFOs. The whole concept of sattelites is laughable, who the fuck thinks putting detection on orbit is a good idea? Aliens have defacto control of orbit and can take down your sattelites anytime they feel like.

One difference between Xeno and X-COM is that all UFO activity in Xeno is pretty public, can always be detected and comes in waves, so a well-run air campaign can intercept almost if not all the UFOs. In X-COM, the aliens are pretty stealthy, your rate of UFOs defeated/not defeated is usually like 1:10 through most of the game, until you either cover the world with radar and aircraft, or you get Hyperwave Decoders.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Goldhawk Goldhawk Interactive Developer

Goldhawk
    Heh. Is it difficult being that cynical all the time? I don't need any PR cover for any of my game design decisions; probably less than 1% of the people that play the final game will ever read one of my messages on any forum anywhere. Judging from the questions I get sent on Kickstarter, half the people giving me money can't even be bothered to read the page let alone drum up a revolution against a one-base system. No, what matters to me (and my bank balance) is making a game people can have fun playing when I release it.

My logic is actually the reverse of what you've assumed - if even the hardcore players are doing something that's largely sub-optimal simply because it's kinda fun ... well, then it might not be a good idea to remove that from the game. No amount of tinkering with the game balance is going to be able to bring that feeling back.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Bigg Boss Prophet

Bigg Boss

It's just a shame to see one of the games that was supposed to be like X-Com deciding to go with the remakes shitty base system. Granted you might be doing something amazing with it for all I know. Realistically what branch of government puts all it's members in one facility anyway? Makes no sense.

[​IMG]

In before: Not discussing realism in a game about aliens and psychic powers.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)