Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Xenonauts 2

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Tzaero, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Doktor Best Arcane

Doktor Best
    Any way to back this with paypal?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. PhantasmaNL Arcane Patron

PhantasmaNL
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
    Jul 13 2018

One Week Left: MARS / Sentry Gun Achieved!
    1 Comment
    5 likes

With one week left of the Xenonauts-2 Kickstarter, we've just blown past 300% funding and hit our fourth stretch goal! Huge thanks to all of you!

This means the MARS Support Platform & Sentry Gun single-tile vehicles will now both be included in the final game for everyone.

MARS & Sentry Guns:
    The MARS is a small robotic tank manufactured in the workshop that can accompany the Xenonaut soldiers on a ground missions. It has relatively high TU and HP, making it good for scouting and crushing fences / other obstacles to make a path for the rest of your team - but it has a relatively low Accuracy. It is smaller than the 3x3 armoured vehicles in Xenonauts 1 and therefore can enter buildings and UFOs, but can only carry infantry weapons (by default it carries the machinegun).

The Sentry Gun is a defensive unit that can only be deployed on Xenonaut Base Defence missions and can be manufactured relatively cheaply in the Workshop. These immobile units are placed during the deployment phase, but have limited rotation range - making them a good way of defending choke points but leaving them very vulnerable to flanking if left unprotected!

We've now started work on both of these units, and if all goes well we might be able to show off some early progress with them next week.

Final Week & Upcoming Stretch Goals!
    It's difficult to know how well the final week will go for us, but Kickstarters often finish strongly and it's definitely possible that we hit one or both of remaining stretch goals.

The next stretch goal is arriving at £200,000 - the Additional Community Edition / Modding Support. Of course, we'll do our best to leave the game open to modding (just as we did in X1) but it'd be great if we could afford to take some extra time to add additional features / tools that will allow modders to make things that fundamentally change the game. I know this is something many of you feel very strongly about; with your help we can get there!

We'll be doing more PR work after the weekend - hitting up our mailing list, journalists, Twitter, Reddit, etc. It'd be great if you could help us spread the word in any way you feel you can, as everything helps! To help things along, we'll be unlocking two extra £500 and ten extra £200 rewards with 48 hours left to go.

Finally, we're working on some more additions to the Portrait Editor to give you guys even more options for your custom soldiers. There's a bugfix and a few new hair variants in the most recent update, and the portrait artist also thinks he's figured out a way to support greying hair for any hair color (something a lot of people have been requesting). That'll all arrive next week.

Have a great weekend everyone - and let's hope next week brings more stretch goals! :)

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Arctrax Literate

Arctrax
    It's nice they got to that stretch goal, but I hope they get to the modding one...

Even if they say they'll prepare the game to be moddable, I'd prefer if they had it like a must in their checklist...

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. kyrub Augur

kyrub
    Come on!
    50 hours to go. We need the full modding support for the few extra bucks.

Xenonauts 1 was a close miss. It was very good, but not quite as special, it lacked atmosphere, despite some very solid design decisions. The sequel tries to correct the formula rather than to make a NuXCOM revolution like everybody. They stick to TUs.
    Xenos deserves that second shot.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. PhantasmaNL Arcane Patron

PhantasmaNL
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
    Tldr Kickstarter done, modding in even though goal not officially reached.

Posted by Goldhawk Interactive (Creator)
    After thirty days our Kickstarter has come to a close, and what a journey it's been! We asked for £50,000 to help us develop the game and your generosity saw us raise a grand total of £191,057 / $250,000 from 6,826 backers - almost 400% our initial target!

All of us here at Goldhawk are hugely grateful for all the backing you have given us, and it's also been really nice to read all of the comments from people who enjoyed the first game. We want to say a massive thank you to all of our backers and we'll be working hard to repay your faith in us!

Stretch Goals:
    We've unlocked a total of five stretch goals for the final game:

• #1 Modular Weapons
    • #2 Geoscape Situations
    • #3 Locational Injuries
    • #4 MARS Weapon Platform & Sentry Guns
    • #5 Additional Community Edition & Modding Support
    The eagle-eyed among you will notice that the Community Edition & Modding Support stretch goal has been unlocked even though we didn't quite hit the £200,000 target. We had a quick chat within the team earlier today and we all feel that we should show our gratitude by unlocking the next stretch goal too!

Next Steps & Backer Surveys:
    If you've backed our Kickstarter you will receive a Backer Survey from us in the next few days that will ask you to provide all the information needed for us to fulfill your rewards - this is where you specify whether you want a Steam key or a GOG key, provide the details and portrait code of your custom soldier, etc.

I don't know exactly when those will be sent out - we only get one chance to do a Backer Survey, so we have to be super-careful about making sure we don't miss out any questions the first time around. Expect them to arrive before the end of next week though!

The Steam / GOG keys will be emailed to you prior to the launch of the closed beta around October if you pledged at the £25+ tier or above, or before the Early Access launch in around January if you backed at the £18 tier.

We will of course be keeping you guys informed via Kickstarter Updates as we approach these two launch dates, so keep your eyes peeled for your keys when they arrive!

For one final time - a massive thanks for all of your generosity and I can tell you with certainty Xenonauts-2 will be a much better game as a result of it!

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • incline incline x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Glad the kickstarter went well.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. kyrub Augur

kyrub
    They have it all to do, though. Let us see if they can tackle repetitiveness of the first game and bring more pace and suspension. Right now, X-piratez seem like a much better game then Xenonauts despite its crazy setting.

Hopefully, Xenos 2 will hit the right spot.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. SausageInYourFace Codexian Sausage Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Glad they made it to expanded modding tools!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    There is 0 chance their plan is to make this game appeal to x-piratez players, or for any other game that wants to earn decent money.
    Hardcore products like X-piratez are always meant for specific small communities.

I hope the game is a bit more like Open Xcom in ways that improve it while also bringing enough new stuff so there is a reason to play it instead of Open Xcom.
    Xeno1 didn't have those reasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. SenisterDenister Novice

SenisterDenister
    Hopefully the mod tools and being on unity will make total conversions easy to produce, then. Truth be told, I think a lack of modding tools for Wasteland 2 is what killed the game's longevity. Games need mod kits to stay active, I think. Look at STALKER, for instance. A singleplayer game that's had consistent modding and playerbase for over a decade now. Being fully 3d will make it easier than being sprite-based.

^ Top  
  11. SymbolicFrank Prophet

SymbolicFrank
    I just missed the kickstarter and bases discussion, I see. I normally look at this thread every few months.

I would like to add, that the best reason to have multiple bases and teams is to train and keep officers. Because there's a cap on promotions per base.

As the game progresses, I put the soldiers with the highest rank at the back of the skyranger, in the best armor. They tend to stay there for the full duration of the mission. Rookies go out, officers stay in.

By the time psi comes available, you have a lot of officers, half of which have become a liability. You cannot afford to lose any in a random battle, and you might want to keep some in reserve, for when the shit really hits the fan. (Like, a blaster bomb exploding inside the skyranger. Happened to me twice.) So, I spread them out over my other bases. The small ones get the psi-risks, the larger ones get a full team with the hotshots.

That way, I can keep on sending recruits out and training better ones. Simply because many things are far too dangerous for good soldiers to do.

At the end of the game, I could use only hardened officers in flying armors with blaster bombs to destroy everything, but that destroys the elerium I need for that as well. Just send in some recruits first, have a bunch of sergeants follow them and have those flying officers circle above.

Well, ok, that doesn't work in Xenonauts of course, because the soldiers aren't expendable enough.

^ Top  
  12. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    And that is another reason why I prefer Open Xcom over Xenonauts.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. SymbolicFrank Prophet

SymbolicFrank
    Yes. All the remakes and sequels did that wrong. They all tried to make it into JA2.

Consider the setting: Aliens are taking over the world! If we don't destroy them, they will enslave every one of us! The survival of our entire species is on the line! Only you can save mankind!

It's not about a team of Heroes, like in an RPG. It's all-out War. Soldiers die. Weapons are made for killing. If a hit only wounds, use a better weapon.

And if that guy who did heroic things during many missions finally dies, you're not happy.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. SymbolicFrank Prophet

SymbolicFrank
    Btw. At the start of an X-COM game, I buy lots of heavy weapons. And when equipping my soldiers, I only look at their strength. The big ones get a rocket launcher, the medium ones a heavy cannon, then auto-cannons, and the weak ones get a stun rod and whatever else they can carry.

^ Top  
  15. SenisterDenister Novice

SenisterDenister
    Ah, yes. The classic strategy: Prime grenade, throw rookie.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. SymbolicFrank Prophet

SymbolicFrank
    Stun or explode ;)

^ Top  
  17. mwnn85 Learned

mwnn85
    Just out of interest...

I've got the Kickstarter Demo working with wine-staging 3.13 under Arch Linux with the latest mesa-git drivers:
    https://imgur.com/a/2fPUinH

Works rather well; obviously it'd be nice to see this land on as many platforms as possible if there's not a lost of extra work/cost involved.

Not sure why they're building 32 bit executables though ?!?
    Wouldn't going 64 bit allow the game to use more than 4GB RAM and probably make modding less crashy aka Xenonauts CE.
    Plus I wouldn't have to install a bunch of outdated libraries.
    There hasn't been a desktop 32 bit CPU released for about 20 years! (Pentium 4/Athlon iirc)

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Started a replay of Xenonauts and I have totally forgot how hard this game is. At first everything is going really well, except a few losses of course. Then comes a base mission with those robot dudes and they totally stomped me. Soon after that a terror mission with heavily armored lizard folk and about 1 million reapers. It was game over at that point. I hope the second game remain that difficult.

[​IMG]

Above is just a small amount of reapers on that map. 2-3 more came sneaking. One snuck passed my dudes and turned them into zombies.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • incline incline x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Sarissofoi Savant

Sarissofoi
    is that Brasil?

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. Stavrophore Learned

Stavrophore
    Wait, does it looks like typical BOPE action in favela? :lol:

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    Any life in this one?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Whiskeyjack Educated

Whiskeyjack
    The closed beta should be released in October.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Every time I replay the GoG demo I feel like a junkie licking his table in a desperate attempt to get ANY amount of leftover cocaine.

Goddamit Goldhawk I need more of this "Xenonauts 2" thing. Maybe give us a new mission on the demo? Maybe?

• Rage Rage x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. geno Educated

geno
    https://www.kickstarter.com/project...gic-planetary-defence-simulator/posts/2286691

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    Different grenade types confirmed.
    I was quite worried about that after playing yhe demo.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)