Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Thinking of buying this game today. I've heard from some folks that a controller is mandatory, due to shit mouse and keyboard combat. Is this true? I really want to play this.

I played Yakuza 0 with mouse and keyboard without experiencing any issues. You don't need a controller to fully enjoy the game.

Same here..only things that I guess are shittier are some of the minigames where it's just simpler and more intuitive to use the buttons for say..the Karaoke, than the IJKM keys, which are pretty shit.

Aqua, commie... thanks. I took the plunge. Will report back.

Swigen

Arbiter
Been playing Yakuza Kiwami, pretty badass. Feels like such a SEGA game if you know what I mean and I’d almost forgot that feeling.

Shimano fight in the beginning almost gave me an aneurysm though. Fuckin’ dickhead.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Fuck disco,batting,pools and darts.
Whoever made those mini games deserves to get smashed by a bicycle by a passing random goodhearted criminal.

GrainWetski

Arcane
https://steamcommunity.com/app/638970/discussions/0/1776010325134009474/

Beta Patch v3 is live - 11 February 2019
Hi Yakuza fans,

We’ve got another patch to address some issues we’ve seen mentioned in this forum. We’re releasing in beta first. As always, beta patches are opt-in only; if you are not experiencing any issues with Yakuza 0, we recommend not downloading this patch.

For those who wish to download the patch, your feedback is always greatly appreciated. Please remember to post your system specs when posting issues; it helps our trouble-shooters tremendously.

To access the beta patch, please enter the password below in the BETAS tab in Properties in Yakuza 0 in your Steam library.

Branch: community_test_branch
Password: DragonOfDojima

• Fixed an issue related to shaders and shadow rendering affecting lighting/skin tone (most noticeable during cut scene at the end of chapter 6)
• Fixed an issue where certain particle effects were not being displayed (most noticeable when using certain weapons like the cannon)
• Improved ultrawide display support
• Added FOV slider in advanced graphics menu
• Added border artwork displayed during areas with locked aspect ratio when played in non-16:9 display modes
• Added Background audio slider in audio menu
• Added UI toggle in settings menu
• Added target monitor output selection option for multi monitor setups in advanced graphics menu
• Added support for QWERTZ and AZERTY keyboard layouts
• Fixed an issue where disconnecting a controller during conversation could cause a soft lock
• Fixed an issue where mouse cursor would be confined within application window while in menus
• Fixed an issue which could cause a crash when playing the fishing mini game
• Fixed an issue where the game could crash if the installation folder path includes a dot
• Improved behaviour of camera control when using a mouse to use raw mouse input
• Improved mouse scroll wheel behaviour
• Improved Alt+Tab behaviour

Thanks,
SEGA Dev

Sounds like they also removed Denuvo. Makes sense since Kiwami apparently won't be using it.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Makes sense really. Denuvo currently claims that they protect "initial sales", so after it's cracked as it always is why even bother anymore?

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Makes sense really. Denuvo currently claims that they protect "initial sales", so after it's cracked as it always is why even bother anymore?
That's pretty much what DRM has always been for--getting people to buy stuff as soon as possible. I'm surprised removing Denuvo isn't more common, actually, since they have to pay for its implementation and maintenance

Vaarna_Aarne

I feel they've been more open and desperate about it recently tho (certainly more than any other DRM company I think), what with it always making headlines when it's cracked again after big talk by the corporate.

I have no idea if they sell it as a one-time-payment package contract, or if they really charge for maintenance too. So they do treat it as a paid service then?

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I feel they've been more open and desperate about it recently tho (certainly more than any other DRM company I think), what with it always making headlines when it's cracked again after big talk by the corporate.

I have no idea if they sell it as a one-time-payment package contract, or if they really charge for maintenance too. So they do treat it as a paid service then?
After doing some research, looks like it depends on the contract and how much devs are willing to pay. Companies can do a large lump sum payment for lifetime support or do a per unit cost (basically, a tiny fee for every purchase). So I guess in neither situation is there really any incentive to remove Denuvo, since you can just factor the cost of the drm into the game price even if you're going with the budget option.

Knowing that, it makes a lot more sense why Denuvo's been so successful. As long as Denuvo keeps games uncracked for a little while (and VC4 took ages, for example), and as long as day-one sales cover the startup cost, it's always going to look like a good investment.

Jinn

Arcane
Only a little over 2 days until Yakuza Kiwami comes out on PC! Just pre-loaded it up today. So damn excited to get back to my adventures in Kamurocho. Going to grab a nice bottle of whiskey to sip on as I play long into the night.

Vaarna_Aarne

Well, here's the Japanese intro for Kiwami, and the international release intro (as I've mentioned before, Kiwami 2 is the first one where they used licensed music abroad) for hyping up:

Modron

Arcane
Only a little over 2 days until Yakuza Kiwami comes out on PC! Just pre-loaded it up today. So damn excited to get back to my adventures in Kamurocho. Going to grab a nice bottle of whiskey to sip on as I play long into the night.
Always thought those unencrypting preloads took longer than downloading stuff specially as the games get larger.

Jinn

Arcane
Always thought those unencrypting preloads took longer than downloading stuff specially as the games get larger.

People say that, but not in my experience. Even at 10 mb/s, I guarantee this will unencrypt faster than the download would take.

Anyway, that's not the point of the post. Rejoice, you fool!

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Finished Yakuza zero, and I liked it a lot. Overall, I don't know exactly why, but I liked yakuza 5 a little more, despite some weak moments. The story is better in zero though.

Will make a break to play another games and come back for kiwami 2, hopefully in PC.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
I'm really hoping to squeeze more than ~35 hours out of Kiwami, as that's what I'm hearing is the average completion time for the main story + substories. I got a little over 100 hours out of Yakuza 0 and completed all but like 5 substories, but I think that completing the real-estate and hostess club management added quite a few hours on for me. I did a few mini-games, but not much at all besides pocket circuit.

I'll just have to make sure that I pace myself, because I know when I'm done with Kiwami I'm going to be left craving more and have to wait an unknown amount of time for confirmation on a Kiwami 2 PC release. Basically, I wish I just had a constant stream of Yakuza in my life that I could pick up at anytime without having to play them on consoles. There's just something very comforting about having a long Yakuza game that I know I can slide into at any time for weeks on end.

Last edited:

Deflowerer

Arcane
Eh, I think they are playing it smart by spacing it out between months. You can get fatigued from them if you binge them in succession.

Kiwami is probably one of the more tiring ones, all things considered. Great combat, but otherwise p. bare bones. On the other hand, it doesn't have egregious pacing issues like Yakuza 5.

Jinn

Arcane
Eh, I think they are playing it smart by spacing it out between months. You can get fatigued from them if you binge them in succession.

It's very clearly a smart business move to space out the PC releases and I can't fault them at all for that.

Even if I had all the Yakuza games at my disposal now, I wouldn't binge them. I played Yakuza 0 slowly over the course of a couple months, because that felt like the best way to savor the gameplay. So to be clear, I don't wish I had all the Yakuza series on PC now so I could binge them over the course of a few months. I wish I had them so I knew once I finished Kiwami, I'd have the next one lined up so I was ready to slip into it like a nice warm bath when I was ready for it.

Yakuza is like a great friend you can carry around with you in your mind day to day, and enjoy a nice smile at the occasional thought of. The kind of great friend you can go a week or two without seeing with no problem, but when you get back together it's like you were never apart. To take the analogy further, not knowing if or when Kiwami 2 will release on PC is kind of like not knowing if you'll ever see that friend again. I knew Kiwami was coming after 0. I don't know if Kiwami 2 is coming after the first.

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

I went full autist on Zero->Kiwami->6->Kiwami 2->Fist of the North Star. Now that I am without the binge, I'm starting to get the shakes. Shenmue 1 could do nothing to alleviate the symptoms. Thankfully Judge Eyes is coming soon, but the re-releases of Yakuza 3-5 and international releases of the jidaigeki spin-offs would be welcome.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Has anybody played the updated version of yakuza 3?

I am wondering have they cut anything of value and have the karaoke duets remained?

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Aaand just plat'd Yakuza 5. Not sure if I'm going to do the same to 4 and Dead Souls next on the PS3 or wait for the remasters to be honest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom