Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Blaza

Educated
Finished Yakuza Kiwami today,compered to 0 it's a :decline: in most parts and it's a shorter game,about half as long as 0,still a good enough game.

I felt similar upon finishing Kiwami. I'm maybe about halfway through Kiwami 2 and it's on par with 0. So much fun stuff and the story is as great as ever.

I'm really enjoying the progression of Majima, going to Kiwami from 0 he seemed to lose a lot of depth and go full on "lol so random" but the scenes where he's alone with Kiryu shows more 0 Majima than Mad Dog Majima.

Modron

Arcane
IIRC in Zero you could bring dates but you didn't need to because you could access all songs regardless of accompaniment as the hostesses at the karaoke joints could be tagged in.

Pablosdog

Prophet
So I beat the original Yakuza back in the mid 2000s. I waited forever before jumping back in with Zero.

This is honestly one of the best fucking games I've played in years. What the hell. The atmosphere, the characters. The diversity of gameplay. It's never boring, and it always amps up when you think it might slow down or get stale.

Kuze's dialogue in the sewer is amazing. The side stories are hilarious and memorable.

Also that OST.

This is THE Bro game.

Ivan

Arcane
YES! I'm hoping Yakuza Kiwami 2 reaches that bar after the somewhat lukewarm experience I had with Kiwami 1.

Modron

Arcane
I enjoyed Kiwami 1 more than 2 because while the engine was a massive improvement they removed styles from combat and also further reduced combat variability by removing many heat actions particularly a lot of counters. Counters are primarily limited to just that omni-directional on attack komaki one and in regards to what weapons enemies are carrying. Overall just a terrible reduction in the circumstances in which you can deploy heat actions as well mostly being limited to being deployed from grapples or based off item in hand. I hope this is mostly due to growing pains of switching to a newer engine and not being as easily able to recycle animations/programming of previous moves.

It's still a great game I just seem to be in the minority that didn't enjoy it as much as the two previous PC installments.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
finally finished kiwami 2.

so far 0 > kiwami 2 > kiwami 1

like modron said, what brought yakuza kiwami 2 down was the stripping of styles. i admit i got pretty burned off the combat by the end (50 hours or so) because there isn't much to do. with 0 + kiwami 1 you have so much to do with 3 + 1 unlockable dragon styles. countering certain enemy type or boss with styles that complement their fighting. even if i found kiwami 1 the worse game, i never got bored of combat. with kiwami 2, there isn't just many variations. the bosses are better than 1, but you defeat them all mostly the same way. komaki counter their light attacks, then KO with those heat actions and heat aura thing that does ridiculous amount of damage (in retrospect i should have played in harder difficulty, but i dunno if it would just make the combat more interesting or more tedious)

story wise, i really like it. whether it's the minigame story (majima construction, cabaret club), substories and the main story is really solid. story was my main problem with kiwami 1. the characters feel flat and if not for the fact that i have the context of these people from yakuza 0, it would be a really rough story. yakuza 0 simply retroactively made a mediocre story better. kiwami 2 give the reccuring characters and new characters more nuances, the writing are more in line with 0 than kiwami 1. that said, it still doesn't reach the peak that is yakuza 0.

there is some problems that i noticed with the story too: spoiler

first the stardust club owner impostor. they never explained how that works at all. i don't think it is said they are twins at all, just a guy that look alike. so alike he deceived ALL of his friends and co worker. i just don't buy it.
terada's appearance at the end. i really like ryoji goda as a main antagonist. it is the dark knight rises again. they made such compelling villain, but suddenly "hahaha i am the real villain and y'all been bamboozled" then it doubled down by making another "hahaha i am THE real bad guy and ya'll been played"

it kinda works for the majima construction storyline, but the story is never that serious in the minigames and i take it they play that trope ironically. it just don't feel like it in the end. way to (almost) ruin goda. but the final fight and final cutscene. kinda made up for it.

other than those, i don't think the story have any problem. i legit enjoyed it, though 0 is still the peak of it. i was teary eyed at 0's ending.

mogwaimon

Magister
You gotta recall that the original games didn't even have styles and that's a pretty new thing just for 0 and Kiwami. Also 1 and 2 remakes probably (haven't played the Kiwami versions yet) feel pretty rough storywise because the originals kinda were, they threw all these terms and characters at you that you're expected to figure out on your own and it's somewhat overwhelming...especially when you're dealing with the fact that 1, 2, and 3 all had a ton of content cut from release in the West and didn't have the translation/localization quality of today.

Still amazing games though. I finally got around to starting 0, on chapter 3 and while it's not quite hooking me yet it's still a high quality game. I do enjoy the addition of styles, don't get me wrong, but it's not something you should get used to expecting from these games. I can't wait to get 3-6 and hopefully Kenzan/Ishin on PC, while I bought 3, 4, and Dead Souls on PS3 I ended up stopping after 3 due to burnout and eventually saltiness over 5 not having a physical release in the West. It's a shame because I hear 5 has an extreme amount of content even compared to other games in the series and 4 was supposed to be pretty good too. Ah well, we'll have them on PC soon enough, I hope.

mogwaimon

Magister
Well, I finished the main story at least, still got a lot of substories and stuff but I'm strapped for time so I couldn't focus 'too' much on side stuff (Though I did get like 20 of each protag's substories and the first districts of each business done). Impressions follow

Was kinda miffed that we fought Kuze no less than 5 times but never got a chance to kick Sagawa's ass. Glad the ending was happier than I thought it would turn out, I figured Makoto was going to be killed especially since, IIRC, she's not mentioned in later entries. I know Majima's oath brother comes to prominence later in the series because he's supposed to be one of the playable characters in Yakuza 5; least I recognize the name from the same place where I heard Y5 has 5 whole cities/protags to mess with. Otherwise, I was pretty much expecting a lot of the characters in this game to disappear, from prior experience with the series. Still, some of the twists were pretty well done and not entirely predictable even going in as a series 'vet', I guess.
I'm still not entirely convinced that the Majima in this game is the same Majima from 1 and 2, but I guess his grief at having to leave Makoto behind to prevent her from being dragged into the underworld any further and the influence of Sagawa, Nishitani, and Awano led to him becoming the way he is. I was also expecting Majima and Kiryu to meet during the main storyline as well, if I recall correctly in the original Yakuza it's fairly heavily implied that Majima already knew Kiryu before the events of that game well enough to respect him, and he also seemed like a killer whereas he never crosses that line in 0. He's also far more unhinged in the original...but, I guess the remakes probably fix that discrepancy by highlighting more of his character arc in the...what is it, 15-16 years between 0 and 1? 0 is like, late 80s, right?
also thought that the western releases always missing out on the hostess dialogues, at least in the entries I've played besides 0, wasn't anything to get too disappointed about. But running the cabaret club has changed my opinion; they're small and inconsequential but I did find myself enjoying the special training sessions with the platinum hostesses I've recruited so far.

anyways can't wait to get to Kiwami, but it's gonna be a bit. Work is about to take up a lot of my time and I also want to finish the side stuff in 0. But, as an aside, has anyone actually gone through and played Y6? I've heard things about pretty much every entry except that one, which flew under my radar completely. Did it turn out good? I just have this nagging feeling like, because it's 6th in the series it likely follows the trend of practically any other long running series where the narrative/gameplay quality declines significantly from the original entries. But it IS Ryu ga Gotoku, so maybe it defied that.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
All Y0 fags are not real fans, only noob casuls.

If you were the real deal, you would appreciate Y5 more, all the bloat and excess would be God sent to you.

Modron

Arcane
All Y0 fags are not real fans, only noob casuls.

If you were the real deal, you would appreciate Y5 more, all the bloat and excess would be God sent to you.
I'll see if I agree with you when this finally comes to a real system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom