Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Yakuza Thread

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Abu Antar, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Assisted Living Godzilla Arbiter

Assisted Living Godzilla
    This article just really made me wish they'd drop Virtua Tennis into a Yakuza game.

• Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Assisted Living Godzilla Arbiter

Assisted Living Godzilla

If you don't want to see them all outside of the game.

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  3. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Reactions in Japan from what I've heard seem to be split between two sides: People who never like turn-based combat, and people who like turn-based combat. Everyone seems to agree the story is real gud and seems Ichiban's generally well-received as a new protag.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Deflowerer Arcane

Deflowerer
    First week numbers in Japan are about 155k sold. The second worst in franchise after 1 (not counting spinoffs / remakes), but has more to do with the actual decline of Japanese home console market probably. Still, pretty understandable that they have to get more and more sales from global markets going forward.

• Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. Readher Educated

Readher
    That's why they're porting even to Xbox. Now, if only Fatlus would follow...

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Misco Jones Learned

Misco Jones
    Yep. And Vanillaware.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Readher Educated

Readher
    At this point I'm pretty sure Vanillaware would just follow on whatever Atlus decides. After their latest "hit" release, they're probably completely dependent on them.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. GhostCow Educated Patron

GhostCow
    I played Yakuza 0 when it first came to PC and it turned out to be pretty much the best action RPG I've ever played. I enjoyed it more than words can describe. Unfortunately it was so good that when I tried Yakuza Kiwami it seemed like absolute shit to me. Are any of the other games in the series as good as 0?

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Diablo1_reborn Savant

Diablo1_reborn
    You fucked yourself with starting with 0.

It's definitely the best and most polished Yakuza game out there.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Deflowerer Arcane

Deflowerer
    These are normal Japanese numbers. These games are budgeted around such expectated sales, frankly.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I don't need a better Yakuza game, just tell me if any game tops Kuze's and Shibusawa's fight music.

• No No x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Yakuza 6 Someya final fight music is gud.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Deflowerer Arcane

Deflowerer
    Ishin's final boss music is the best in the series.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Readher Educated

Readher
    Last time Vanillaware game sold that bad was like 10 years ago. They worked almost 8 years on this, they definitely expected higher sales. Sales like that are normal for 2 year dev time basement budget kusoge, not a long-time project.

^ Top  
  15. Psquit Arcane

Psquit
    FFS. welp I'll stick with 0 and watch the rest on youtube.

^ Top  
  16. GhostCow Educated Patron

GhostCow
    Sega really fucked up by making 0 the first release for PC. I don't know what they were thinking there. Then again I might have written the series off if I played Kiwami first. Who knows.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. taxalot Gone forever. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Any news about more Yakuza games coming to PC?

• No No x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Modron Arcane

Modron
    Well they said Yakuza 3 is coming to the pc, but they haven't said a release date yet, so no new news it is done when it is done.

• Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. GhostCow Educated Patron

GhostCow
    I just checked the list of Yakuza games and it looks like there's been two since 0. Surely those are nearly as good if not better?

^ Top  
  20. Modron Arcane

Modron
    Yakuza 0 was the latest and greatest but in my opinion Kiwami 1 measures up as well. Kiwami 2 is pretty damn good but there is some growing pains in switching to the new engine in regards to combat variability with just not enough variety in ways of deploying heat moves.

^ Top  
  21. GhostCow Educated Patron

GhostCow
    I was more referring to Yakuza 6 and Yakuza: Like a Dragon. I could borrow a ps4 to play those if they are worth it

^ Top  
  22. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    I can't say yet for Yakuza 7, but every game so far has been well worth playing. I personally like the Dragon Engine games better than 0.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. CaffeineConquistador Learned

CaffeineConquistador
    Just curious, what did you like more about it?

^ Top  
  24. GhostCow Educated Patron

GhostCow
    I guess I'll give Kiwami another shot. Now that it's been a year or two since I played 0 the difference in quality might not seem as huge. I didn't think it was bad or anything when I played it before but 0 is definitely in my top 10 games of all time. Maybe even top 5. Hard to measure up to that.

^ Top  
  25. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    In case of 6, I liked the core themes of the story. It does (so far) the most consistent and emotionally resonant story about Kiryu being a father and grandfather. I've liked all the stories in the series so far (except Fist of the North Star, but that's a spin-off hitting all of the source material bases and even then its original story elements are good stuff). I suppose in terms of pacing I like having just one protagonist more as well. And another thing 6 does quite well with Kiryu is that it does the reaction to his reputation even better. Korean Virgil et al who are a new generation of mobsters all know of him, and all of them think they can totally take him, only to soon realize "oh god he's even tougher than the rumours said." There's also in general a great feeling of time in 6. Kiryu really does feel old and that time has passed him by.

I also really like the way the Dragon Engine can present Kamurocho seamlessly (now it's quite rough sometimes in 6 due to them clearly not having gotten transparent objects like windows optimized completely, but it's overall a great feel, and by Judgment there isn't a single hitch or slowdown due to windows) and slide in and out of fights. The fights themselves also feel a lot more fluid. The core XP loop in all three of the Dragon Engine games (6, Kiwami 2, and Judgment) is also very addictive I find, getting into fights -> eating -> getting into fights (the main problem with this is that these games make me hungry, Asian food is delicious but expensive). It's a nice little feedback to the whole completionist angle of going through every establishment in Kamurocho, and that in turn leads to side stories, and so on.

Also worth noting that Judgment has one of the most hype final boss sequences and fights there is, in a series that's already a rare case of them landing without exception (in big part because only rarely do games go with mano-a-mano fistfight for climactic boss sequences, and in case of games that don't have dedicated hand-to-hand combat core the only one who pulls off temporary transition to a dramatic fistfight is Kojima).

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)