Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yendorian Tales

octavius

Arcane
Patron
1994 marks a shift in CRPG history, after the two best CRPG years of '92 and '93, with very few quality commercial titles. In fact, apart from Star Trail, the indies are more interesting this year, with titles like Yendorian Tales, The Aethra Chronicles: Volume One - Celystra's Bane, and Nahlakh.

I was able to track down down full versions of all three Yendorian Tales games, but it's hard to find useful info or manuals for them. I get the impression YT1 is an Ultima clone (with very nice and crisp graphics, even in full screen), and the two others are like World of Xeen.
But I can't find any information on what the combat is like, nor how the classes and skills work. The accompanying text file for the first game is very brief and tells nothing about character generation.
Does any proper manual exist, or a web wite with some useful info?
If not, anyone who has played these games and can provide some tips on character generation?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yendorian Tales is kind of... alright, I guess. I didn't get very far but I thought the game was nothing special, really. Don't have any tips, I'm afraid. But then again, I don't recall it being particularly complex either, so just roll with whatever characters you feel like playing.

YT II is more of a first person M&M clone though - I hear it's a better game than the first one, but I'm yet to give it a proper try.

mondblut

Arcane
YT 2 and 3 were a gulp of water in the drought of mid-90s. YT1 is apparently impossible to find in full version nowadays, all there is is a demo.

Can't help about game mechanics, it's been 20 years ago, but it was fairly primitive and obvious. Have a cleric, a mage and fighters, bash things, gain levels :)

Luzur

Good Sir
1994 marks a shift in CRPG history, after the two best CRPG years of '92 and '93, with very few quality commercial titles. In fact, apart from Star Trail, the indies are more interesting this year, with titles like Yendorian Tales, The Aethra Chronicles: Volume One - Celystra's Bane, and Nahlakh.

I was able to track down down full versions of all three Yendorian Tales games, but it's hard to find useful info or manuals for them. I get the impression YT1 is an Ultima clone (with very nice and crisp graphics, even in full screen), and the two others are like World of Xeen.
But I can't find any information on what the combat is like, nor how the classes and skills work. The accompanying text file for the first game is very brief and tells nothing about character generation.
Does any proper manual exist, or a web wite with some useful info?
If not, anyone who has played these games and can provide some tips on character generation?

you could have asked me, i got all 3 fullgame versions of them in a zip.

also, well YII-III are very much like the Might and Magics, so roll your party like you would in MM, it worked for me (finished the first island and about to go further.).

and combat is exactly like in MM3 and onwards, party bowing and all.

never found a manual though, but i read that a hintbook was available from Spectrum Pacific, but they are dead so i guess its lost forever.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
How long is the first Yendorian tale ?
I remember playing the shareware version, but never getting too much invested into it.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Aethra? is that the game with the extreme birds eye view?
Indeed. That one.
aethra_kyla.png

One of the best CRPGs what I have played, by the way.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I couldn't really get into YT1, but I really liked YT2 and 3. Only had shareware versions of them, though and was very disappointed when I could not continue because I had to enter registration code when accessing a portal. :(
Similar disappointment to the abrupt ending of Albion's demo just when the story got really interesting.

I remember merchants being a kickass class in these games, as it was a strangely-named combo of fighter and thief. Also, You could find a cat in one of the quests and equip it as a weapon (it had razorsharp claws). :lol: Good times.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah hoverdog 's LP was the shit -- until he abandoned it like a pussy.

(I know I have abandoned all my latest LPs too but you know... well... I am a pussy, essentially.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom