Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Yes Virginia, Obsidian are working on you.

Luzur

Good Sir
my guess is a JRPG.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DragoFireheart said:
What IPs does Obsidian have ownership of?
None. IP's are usually (read: almost always) owned by the publisher. See PB vs Jowood for a more recent example.

(gets a little bit more complicated when the IP originated outside the industry, like with D&D, but even then notice how that IP got split between Atari and Interplay; Bioware never owned any part of it)

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Sceptic said:
DragoFireheart said:
None. IP's are usually (read: almost always) owned by the publisher. See PB vs Jowood for a more recent example.

(gets a little bit more complicated when the IP originated outside the industry, like with D&D, but even then notice how that IP got split between Atari and Interplay; Bioware never owned any part of it)

Then who's dick is Obsidian sucking to make a new game? Could it be Fallout 4 as a means for Bethesda to bypass the older contract they had with Interplay on the Fallout game limits? I honestly can't think of anything they may be working on.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Speculation in the GRPGD thread is that it's a facebook MMO.

Sannom

Augur
DragoFireheart said:

Presumably Alpha Protocol. Not that they're going to try anything with that IP before a few years, if they try at all.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
DragoFireheart said:
Then who's dick is Obsidian sucking to make a new game? ...I honestly can't think of anything they may be working on.
They don't have to suck anybody's dick. They make a game based on their own idea, an original IP.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
DragoFireheart said:
Then who's dick is Obsidian sucking to make a new game?
Erm... what? Obsidian are an independent developer. Any publisher can approach them and say "do a game on this IP we own, here's some money." Or Obsidian can approach any publisher and say "we'd like to do a game on this IP of yours, please give us some money." The former's probably how NV got started.

And if an IP doesn't exist yet, all they need to do is find a publisher who's willing to own that IP and fund the game (see Alpha Protocol)

Drakron

Arcane
Sceptic said:

Yes but the only IP Obsidian could have was Alpha Protocol since all their titles have been based on existing IPs.

Not sure if Sega owns it but even if they did, considering how badly it turned out to be who would pick it up for published? besides its too generic to even have value as a setting.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
It's not an existing IP or, if it is one, then it's something obscure that could be bought/licensed cheaply. Notice that it's a small, internal, private project. There's no way Obsidian would get rights to any well known universe without being contracted by a big publisher.

It's not Wheel of Time, even though this one is probably a cheap license. WoT RPG is not an Obsidian game, abviously not an internal project, they are only helping other devs and it definitely doesn't get a code name Project [insert USA state].

Free-to-play MMO seems to be the most probable option. At one time Feargus mentions a downloadable game, other time he says "Facebook, MMOs and Story Based RPGs" so while it would be using Facebook (for finding friends etc.), I doubt it will be played in browser. One can safely assume it will be a "casual" gama.

deuxhero

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
deuxhero said:
Wild West RPG (very much want one)

Fucking Deadlands crpg would be heavan.

Alas, it's not gonna happen for sure :(

Any western style setting would be cool. Give us Jagged Alliance 2 style combat in it and an actually fantastic setting (along with Obsidian's usual above par writing wtih decent respect for alternate options for quests and separate consequences for them) and it could be the best game ever.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Sceptic said:
Erm... what?

-Exaggerating.

Obsidian are an independent developer. Any publisher can approach them and say "do a game on this IP we own, here's some money." Or Obsidian can approach any publisher and say "we'd like to do a game on this IP of yours, please give us some money." The former's probably how NV got started.

- They haven't exactly been making stellar games as of recent. New Vegas was pretty good but Alpha Protocol was abysmal. If I were a publisher, I'd see that as a hit or miss sort of company and be slightly weary of them. OE also has a history of glitches galore. New Vegas had some pretty annoying glitches regardless of it's quality before the patches came out.

And if an IP doesn't exist yet, all they need to do is find a publisher who's willing to own that IP and fund the game (see Alpha Protocol)

-There is no way that piece of shit Ip is being used for awhile. They need to let some of the negativity of AP be forgotten before trying again.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
DragoFireheart said:
Alpha Protocol was abysmal.
YMMV. I certainly don't consider it great, but I reserve "abysmal" for really abysmal games (can't really think of any recent one I've played, I have to say).

If I were a publisher, I'd see that as a hit or miss sort of company and be slightly weary of them.
Industry doesn't seem to work like this (though this would be a more logical approach). I'm not privy to AP sales, but I would guesstimate it either covered its expenses, or if it fell short then it was only by a small margin. Enough to kill the IP, not enough to kill the developer. Thing is publishers are used to this. That's why we get this deluge of crap: they know 90% of the games will flop, but the one big winner will make a huge profit and cover the cost of all the flops. I think EA was one of the early adopters but the industry's been following this business model for almost 10 years now. And, unless the game is such a flop that it doesn't even cover say half its expenses, the publisher/developer relationship isn't really affected.

Now this is usually with internal development studios, or with companies they have bought. Independents have it tougher because they have to constantly pitch to different publishers and hope they get the money they need. But as long as their games make some profit (and I'm pretty sure all pre-AP Obsidian games did; KOTOR 2, NWN2 and MotB absolutely certain, SOZ highly probable) publishers will be willing to bet on them. Since NV seems to have made a tidy profit that obviously increases the chances of other publishers being interested.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't care because I don't have a facebook account and never will.

Xor

Arcane
IronicNeurotic said:
denizsi said:
You're so edgy, Xor. I'm afraid to be around you.

xor tried to rape me last night

true story

:smug:

Clockwork Knight said:
Xor said:
I don't care because I don't have a facebook account and never will.

Because you don't have any friends to begin with, right?

ba-dum-tsh

I don't have text messaging either. If my friends want to contact me they can give me a fucking phone call.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom