Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Speaking of Mysticism, that was my favourite spell school in Oblivion. I am, based fully on fanboyism and not a single ounce of logical reason, kind of angry that it got axed in Skyrim.

It is telling of casualization and retardation how the game rejects the intellectuality of Psijic's :obviously: approach to magic in favor of "hurr durr Destruction".
The Old Way is the true way!

The Psijic Order is the only reason there is a College of Winterhold still standing. And this how Bethesda chooses to treat them! It's an outrage!

The Psijic Order is the only reason there is a College of Winterhold still standing. And this how Bethesda chooses to treat them! It's an outrage!

Practitioners of Mysticism saved so far the only magic community that rejected Mysticism :troll:

Sounds like something Kirkbride conducted.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I tried to play Morrowind a year or two ago as turn based. I would attack, then wait for the enemy to attack, etc. Was fine during most of the game, but towards the end, I got tired of playing that way. Mobs would take a ton of clicks to kill, and they'd also do more damage per hit to me. Could have worked though with some tweaks.

True Codex Hero. Through your valiant efforts, we now know the answers for the age-old question: "Where exactly is the sweet-spot of the autistic spectrum, in which your mental condition slowly turns you into a supehero?"

:kingcomrade:

Can't blame him, the combat is so shit I can see someone taking desperate measures to make it more interesting.
Combat is fine if you stick to enchanted items and pretend it's a fps.

DraQ

Arcane
You turn markers off the compass (or even turn the compass off, or make it a toggle) but you keep them on the map. Then you can check where quests are, since the game makes you, but it doesn't feel like you're playing follow-the-arrow.
This.

Speaking of Mysticism, that was my favourite spell school in Oblivion. I am, based fully on fanboyism and not a single ounce of logical reason, kind of angry that it got axed in Skyrim.
Fuck oblivion.

I'm angry because more schools give better chances of actually accommodating all spells where they belong, and if they don't, some kitchensink category is useful and mysticism played that role admirably.
It's retarded how Todd went "durr no kitchensink is needed" then promptly introduced a spell (Clairvoyance) that simply doesn't fit anywhere else.

Isn't the Stormcloak's "kill the ice wraith" a tribute to it? I think the originality in Skyrim lies mostly in a small, but significant twists underlying a seemingly mundane world, and the fact TES5 adheres to the lore confirms it.
Ok, I missed this one. Anyway, I was addressing the remark about Cyrodiil being generic. I don't have that much problems with Skyrim.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I was addressing the remark about Cyrodiil being generic.

I meant Cyrodiil's world design, as it appears in Oblivion. Which is as generic as they come. Could've been great if they had gone with this instead:

Cyrodiil is the cradle of Human Imperial high culture on Tamriel. It is the largest region of the continent, and most is endless jungle. The Imperial City is in the heartland, the fertile Nibenay Valley. The densely populated central valley is surrounded by wild rain forests drained by great rivers into the swamps of Argonia and Topal Bay. The land rises gradually to the west and sharply to the north. Between its western coast and its central valley are deciduous forests and mangrove swamps.

DraQ

Arcane
I was addressing the remark about Cyrodiil being generic.

I meant Cyrodiil's world design, as it appears in Oblivion. Which is as generic as they come. Could've been great if they had gone with this instead:

Cyrodiil is the cradle of Human Imperial high culture on Tamriel. It is the largest region of the continent, and most is endless jungle. The Imperial City is in the heartland, the fertile Nibenay Valley. The densely populated central valley is surrounded by wild rain forests drained by great rivers into the swamps of Argonia and Topal Bay. The land rises gradually to the west and sharply to the north. Between its western coast and its central valley are deciduous forests and mangrove swamps.
The thing is cyrolol in game was completely inconsistent with Cyrodiil in lore, so you might just as well say that Morrowind is the most generic province because ESO made it so.

Anyway, the most generic province is High Rock, because it's essentially medieval Europe, except with actual witches, fantasy creatures and orcs.
Cyrodiil was supposed to make Morrowind seem plain and generic.

Cyrodiil was supposed to make Morrowind seem plain and generic.

How is Byzantium, even with jungle mixed in, more alien than a mix inspiration of Kshatriya Jews, Middle Eastern, Vietnamese, Mongol, and a bit of Japanese cultures, all molded into a completely separate, inventive entity with enough bizarre concepts that in the first place doesn't even include humans?

Redguard was actually pretty mundane and, well, Skyrim-like in its presence of supernatural/bizarre elements. I doubt they would've taken extreme measures with a cosmopolitan center of the Empire, even with Kirkbride as a loremaster.

AW8

Arcane
Fuck oblivion.
I haven't played a mage in Morrowind yet (only casually cast some Illusion spells), but I know that Detect Animal only displays enemies on the minimap while Detect Life in Oblivion shows an aura on enemies that can be seen through walls (immersion!!), and in comparison the former sucks like Christopher Lee in his earlier days. In Skyrim, Detect Life has improved by being cast only for as long as you hold down the button instead of being time-based. BUT, to aquire this basic spell effect you have to join the College of Winterhold and level Alteration to 50 by casting your limited selection of useless Alteration spells (or complete a quest out in the middle of nowhere). In Oblivion, you get Detect Life as a starting spell if you pick Mysticism as a Major Skill, meaning you can level Mysticism from the start as a stealth character with this spell.

So fuck Skyrim in this regard.
I'm angry because more schools give better chances of actually accommodating all spells where they belong, and if they don't, some kitchensink category is useful and mysticism played that role admirably.
It's retarded how Todd went "durr no kitchensink is needed" then promptly introduced a spell (Clairvoyance) that simply doesn't fit anywhere else.
It's Bethesda. Some skills just have to go with every new game, and for some reason you need exactly the same amount of warrior, mage and stealth skills.

Besides, do you take Todd for The Flash? 5 years is far too little time to properly implement 5 spell effects and 12 spells for the Mysticism skill. It's just inhuman to ask for that much.

What was the explanation for spells like Soul Trap or Detect or others for belonging in Mysticism, again? Other than the kitchensink thing, a lore one, an "Old Way" one. It always seemed too random for me for any "spiritual" cohesiveness.

I think it's "raw magic", that is, magic that affects beings directly and not through means such as fireballs to harm, curative energies to heal, portals to summon daedra, etc. The sort of stuff you'd expect a real wizard to know, not just some battlemage who wants to burn you when he cuts you so you can die while you die.

DraQ

Arcane
I think it's "raw magic", that is, magic that affects beings directly and not through means such as fireballs to harm, curative energies to heal, portals to summon daedra, etc. The sort of stuff you'd expect a real wizard to know, not just some battlemage who wants to burn you when he cuts you so you can die while you die.
So you could say Mysticism is to other magic schools what other magic schools are to mundane shit?
Not sure if :obviously: or :troll:
Prehaps both.

Fuck oblivion.
I haven't played a mage in Morrowind yet (only casually cast some Illusion spells)
Do. Just don't get burned - runinng in and slinging fireballs just gets you killed in Morrowind. To succeed as a mage, you must make your own, multi-effect spells that chain synergistic effects and be always wary of extremely limited magicka pool.

but I know that Detect Animal only displays enemies on the minimap while Detect Life in Oblivion shows an aura on enemies that can be seen through walls (immersion!!), and in comparison the former sucks like Christopher Lee in his earlier days.
detection spells are not everything there is to magic and MW detection spells, although shit and cumbersome, also allowed finding keys and magical items.

In Skyrim, Detect Life has improved by being cast only for as long as you hold down the button instead of being time-based. BUT, to aquire this basic spell effect you have to join the College of Winterhold and level Alteration to 50 by casting your limited selection of useless Alteration spells (or complete a quest out in the middle of nowhere). In Oblivion, you get Detect Life as a starting spell if you pick Mysticism as a Major Skill, meaning you can level Mysticism from the start as a stealth character with this spell.
There is another massive improvement. Detect Dead spell.

Boomtish.

AW8

Arcane
Do. Just don't get burned - runinng in and slinging fireballs just gets you killed in Morrowind. To succeed as a mage, you must make your own, multi-effect spells that chain synergistic effects and be always wary of extremely limited magicka pool.
Which sounds very intriguing, coupled with the fact that an Altmer (heil!) with spell schools as majors/minors won't suck completely with spells - compared with my Redguard fighter and Imperial assassin who are absolutely useless at spells. I'm probably the only one here, but I really like to have character creation influence my character.

Not to mention that ever since I was a boy, I've wanted to jump from city to city and fly like a cliff racer in the sky, so high...
detection spells are not everything there is to magic and MW detection spells, although shit and cumbersome, also allowed finding keys and magical items.
Finding keys, you say?

Scroll down to inventory and behold the highly treasured artifact Shirt of Detect Key!

There is another massive improvement. Detect Dead spell.
In Oblivion Detect Life meant "detect lifeforce"! So highighting undead still made sense!!1

In all seriousness yes, not only does it split up Detect between live creatures and undead, it also lets you find corpses in high grass without resorting to typing "tg" into the console.

Last edited:
Fuck oblivion.
I haven't played a mage in Morrowind yet (only casually cast some Illusion spells)

I actually find playing a mage easier and less frustrating; casting spells is less hit/miss than using weapons, and relatively very powerful Firetouch has 100% chance to succeed even at low levels, and kills enemies much faster. Although I did tagged Short Blade as a minor skill and use Bound Dagger often just in case.

Borelli

Arcane
Switching between weapons using hotkeys is VERY fast in Morrowind, so when i played as a thief i would swap between short sword of paralyze (you can buy it as early as Balmora) and a more ordinary weapon. For early low lvl enemies without magic resistance the game was a piece of cake.

baturinsky

Arcane
For melee char in Morrowind, I recommend getting a hammer, called "Sunder". There is a lengthy quest involved, but it worth it. Huge damage, no need to recharge, and inherent to-hit bonus, so it is effective even without skill in Blunt.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Sunder schmunder, go to Solstheim and grab Mace of Aevar Stone-Singer.

DraQ

Arcane
For melee char in Morrowind, I recommend getting a hammer, called "Sunder". There is a lengthy quest involved
Yeah, it's called the MQ.

Sunder schmunder, go to Solstheim and grab Mace of Aevar Stone-Singer.
Actually, armor aside, Sunder does more damage over time because it can be swung 1.5x faster, and then it has fortify strength enchantment.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Actually, armor aside, Sunder does more damage over time because it can be swung 1.5x faster, and then it has fortify strength enchantment.

Yeah that nord mace was heavy as shit, wasn't it? But then again, if you want the ultimate damage you'd be making a custom-enchanted ebony staff anyway; enchanted with either of those traitors' souls it can dish out some instakill damage on strike.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm probably going to start this up again soon but with zero graphical mods and maybe only two or three gameplay/bug fix mods like MCP and BTB.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I'm probably going to start this up again soon but with zero graphical mods and maybe only two or three gameplay/bug fix mods like MCP and BTB.

Yuck, those vanilla character models are so ugly when nude. You some kinda low-polygon perv?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Yuck, those vanilla character models are so ugly when nude. You some kinda low-polygon perv?

I played with the supah-dupah MGE shit before and it didn't really appeal to me. The original graphics are more atmospheric. Sort of like how I couldn't imagine playing G1 or G2 with a shitload of texture mods.

Also, there's always Skywind: http://morroblivion.com/forums/conversion-to-skyrim/conversion-to-skyrim/2606

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom