Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

DraQ

Arcane
I'd love a game combining hand placed and random loot - either randomize between a number of possible pre-set locations for legendary lewt (and between occurence and absence of particular artifacts at all) at chargen, or find a way to customize resting place of an item and logically connect it in a way that can be examined by player with in-game clues despite choosing it from generic set.

I think hand-placing named unique items but leaving everything else random would be fine.
The problem is that after playing the game once you can make a beeline for them.

It would be better if you actually had to track them down each time you played and by "track them down" I don't mean "have them fall out of a punched rat randomly".

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The problem is that after playing the game once you can make a beeline for them.

It would be better if you actually had to track them down each time you played and by "track them down" I don't mean "have them fall out of a punched rat randomly".

Eh, you'd still make a beeline for the two or three places it could randomly bee after looking at a wiki. I think it's just an unavoidable side-effect of hand-placed loot in general. I don't really think it bothers me as long as the really good stuff is behind a difficulty wall, either due to location or owner.

DraQ

Arcane

Eh, you'd still make a beeline for the two or three places it could randomly bee after looking at a wiki. I think it's just an unavoidable side-effect of hand-placed loot in general. I don't really think it bothers me as long as the really good stuff is behind a difficulty wall, either due to location or owner.
If the game gives a lot of options to the player (obviously preferable) and character development is mostly horizontal (also preferable), then difficulty walls can prove very leaky.
In such case an extended difficulty obstacle course is more preferable, but being able to make a beeline allows you to opt out of that.

SKOOMA IS SECRET WOMEN DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW

FOR ONLY $9.99 IT CAN BE YOURS

Wf5PqXt.png

deuxhero

Arcane
That reminds me: Oblivion never does mention what happened to Cosades (the character who explicitly goes to the area Oblivion takes place in AND has a significant rank in the organization you interact with a lot during the main quest) does it?

Fuck, Bethesda couldn't get a single thing right iin that piece of shit.

DraQ

Arcane
That reminds me: Oblivion never does mention what happened to Cosades (the character who explicitly goes to the area Oblivion takes place in AND has a significant rank in the organization you interact with a lot during the main quest) does it?

Fuck, Bethesda couldn't get a single thing right iin that piece of shit.
*roll*

"You drop your weapon and manage to shoot yourself in both eyes. Then your gun explodes."

There is no fail like critical fail.

Xeon

Augur
I have been reading a little bit of everything on the wiki and watched these videos. Should I resort to metagame[?] and balance my skill leveling to get the maximum attribute during a level up? Everything is mostly manageable so far as long as I don't get surrounded mostly thanks to the Dark Brotherhood armor I got or fail to avoid a mage attack. I have been raising my strength, Agility and Willpower and it seems Endurance is the most important attribute to rise first.

I also found a mod that make all attacks that land hits and get rid of the random hits and misses. Should I installed it or will it change my game considerably?

Sorry for asking so many questions I'll try and make these my last. Thanks for all the help

Don't bother with balancing the attribute level-up bonuses, it sucks all the fun of the game and it's not necessary (it's more for trying to make the most godlike character you can). Just get your favored skills to an acceptable level (say, 50) to make sure you can actually do stuff instead of failing all the time.

Endurance is important at the beginning, yeah. You can use spears for a bit to help raise it faster. Alternatively, avoid getting hit. :M

I wouldn't bother with the no-dodge mod, once you get your attacking skills to a good level you'll hit enemies frequently enough that it won't be a problem anymore. Plus it makes Agility useless.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
I have been reading a little bit of everything on the wiki
Jesus fucking Christ, don't.
You're depriving yourself of the most entertaining part of the game.

I also found a mod that make all attacks that land hits and get rid of the random hits and misses. Should I installed it or will it change my game considerably?
So you've found a mod that effectively gets rid of over 25% of skills in a cRPG and are still wondering whether to install it.
:hmmm:

Xeon

Augur
Yea sorry, Its not that random outcomes aren't great but even rats are almost killing me sometimes with me not being able to land hits and them hitting me none stop. If it gets better when I improve my skills then its not really a problem.

DraQ

Arcane
Yea sorry, Its not that random outcomes aren't great but even rats are almost killing me sometimes with me not being able to land hits and them hitting me none stop. If it gets better when I improve my skills then its not really a problem.
Use weapon you're good with (high skill) and don't fight tired (green bar full or near full).
Having high agility also helps with both hitting and not getting hit.

Also, what race class and sign are you playing?

Xeon

Augur
Oh did not know stamina affected the hit rate. Thank you!!! Probably explains why I did pretty good against the assassin.

Dunmer - Agent Class - Shadow Sign
Short Blade is one of my major skills so I normally use Daggers and Short Swords.

DraQ

Arcane
Oh did not know stamina affected the hit rate. Thank you!!! Probably explains why I did pretty good against the assassin.

Short Blade is one of my major skills so I normally use Daggers and Short Swords.
Stamina affects *everything*.

Hitting, dodging, spellcasting, persuasion, etc.

Join House Telvanni. #thread

DraQ

Arcane
Hlaalu fits agents better, though if you develop your two magical skill plus another magical skill of choice you can be capable of advancing in Telvanni as an agent if amoral crazy old wizards are your thing.

It'll probably be a while until he joins a House, I'd leave that bit for him to find out later, at his pace.

For now, the three guilds on Balmora should have quests to get you started on the world.

Stamina affects everything, so if you run out of stamina in combat stall for a bit until it's at least half-full again.

Another important combat bit are the weapon damage ranges. Hover the cursor over them at the inventory to check which attacking movement is better for your chosen weapon.

Walk forwards or backwards and hold attack button = thrust

Walk sideways and hold attack button = slash

Stay put and hold attack button = chop

For example, axes cause pitiful damage with thrusting, but great with chopping and slashing. This means that when fighting with an axe, you'll want to move to the left or right (or stay put), hold down the attack button for a while and then attack. Don't attack while marching towards the enemy or you'll stab him with a weapon that sucks at stabbing.

Since you use daggers, you probably noticed they have a high minimum damage, but the maximum damage isn't much higher than that. This makes them good for fast stabbing motions. So you'll want to close in, stab a few times, then fall back to recover stamina. If you chose the premade Agent class, you have Conjuration as one of your major skills and started with the Bound Dagger spell. It summons the best dagger in the game, complete with an enchantment that ups your hit rate. Use it often. :M

If you don't have Bound Dagger, one merchant in Balmora sells short swords that let you cast it.

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
You get a unique daedric dagger very early during Balmora mages guild questline.

A lore question: Who is more "powerful" - House Telvanni or Psijic Order? I have my doubts and conception, but maybe some of the lore-buffs know better.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Well considering that House Telvanni no longer exists thanks to the geniuses at Bethesda, I think the answer should be quite obvious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom