Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

On the subject of really good mods, I can't recommend Pax Redoran enough. Really, really good stuff, fleshes out a lot of places and characters (Llerar Mandas, Sudanit mine, Athyn Sarethi), and takes into account some quests usually associated with other factions - you can, for example, stop Dorvayn's Disguise quest from happening). There are some minor bugs, however, so if anyone's interested, try not to finish quests before they start.

EDIT: don't get me wrong, there are some parts that are poorly written, but it's nothing terribly offensive and still couple of gradients above usual Morrowind mods.

Last edited:

Puukko

Arcane
God damn modders. I have spent a good dozen+ hours modding OpenMW following the guide on their site and have been ready to actually start playing for a few hours now if it wasn't for one mod that's giving me headache, BTB game improvements. I really like how it buffs birthsigns, but the mod also includes some robe replacements that do not work at all and give me lots of walking yellow exclamation marks. Well, disable those esp's and it's problem solved, right? Nope, changes nothing, and I even found a third party edit of the mod with just the character changes and no mention of any robes and it still gives those errors. What kinda fuckin spaghetti code is this?

Tracking down the culprit took a good while in the first place since who expects a game improvements mod to come with random textures and meshes?

Ah well, time to find a generic birthsign mod I guess.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
BTB's Game Improvements is fantastic as long as you remember it's not just a rebalance mod, but one that outright nerfs or removes some of the original game's mechanics.

MWaser

Arbiter
when I was modding OpenMW for myself recently I followed the guide lightly and skipped stuff like rebalance mods (and some of the texture packs I found to just be excessive waste of space), with the one notable balance mod I recall installing being ranged weapon/marksmanship rebalance which was mostly a buff -not really necessary but didn't really seem to break the game any more than it was already broken to begin with.

I also made the mistake of installing the Caldera Mine mod - I didn't read fully and had assumed it was only a terrain and visual overhaul, but instead it even ended up adding some amazingly dumb quest associated with it.

DraQ

Arcane
mods that do too much are usually junk
Unless they are Requiem.

Mind you, it's not because Requiem has no junky stuff, just because its ratio of crucial game improvements to junk (measured in gameplay impact, NOT number of changes) is very high.

BTB's Game Improvements is fantastic as long as you remember it's not just a rebalance mod, but one that outright nerfs or removes some of the original game's mechanics.
Butchered Morrowind makes worse Skyrim than Skyrim.

If you want to play Skyrim, just play fucking Skyrim.

Puukko

Arcane
Was there some mod to make NPCs less intrusive? I literally just stood still for 10 seconds and got approached by 3 NPCs spouting some variant of "spit it out" while I wasn't even looking at them.

Deleted Member 16721

Was there some mod to make NPCs less intrusive? I literally just stood still for 10 seconds and got approached by 3 NPCs spouting some variant of "spit it out" while I wasn't even looking at them.

Pretty sure there is. Search for 'greeting distance '.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
RPGCodex 2019:
"Removing spellmaker is incline, yo!"
:hearnoevil:

Removing broken features is incline, yeah. Especially because it makes the other features present in the game more useful. When you can break the game at will and unintentionally, then your features are no longer useful, but gimmicks.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I'd have said spoken like a true Sawyerist, but seeing your attitude I'm afraid you might take it as a compliment.

Sawyer balances games but makes them unfun in the process. What BTB's mod does is nerf certain mechanics but make others much more useful and much more fun to experiment with. And he makes sound arguments for everything, such as the removal of self-enchatments: you can't create your own spells, so why would you be able to create something that is infinitely more useful?

I do wish someone came up with a rebalanced Morrowind that didn't remove any existing mechanics.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
God damn modders. I have spent a good dozen+ hours modding OpenMW following the guide on their site and have been ready to actually start playing for a few hours now if it wasn't for one mod that's giving me headache, BTB game improvements. I really like how it buffs birthsigns, but the mod also includes some robe replacements that do not work at all and give me lots of walking yellow exclamation marks. Well, disable those esp's and it's problem solved, right? Nope, changes nothing, and I even found a third party edit of the mod with just the character changes and no mention of any robes and it still gives those errors. What kinda fuckin spaghetti code is this?

Tracking down the culprit took a good while in the first place since who expects a game improvements mod to come with random textures and meshes?

Ah well, time to find a generic birthsign mod I guess.

There are many but choose between Expanded Birthsings for Purists (personal favorite), BAMF or Lore Friendly Birthsign Rebalancing.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/18016
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/17888
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45494

EDIT:

Know that roughly 60% of mods (particularly old ones like BTB) are incompatible with OpenMW because it uses a different pipeline. There is no reason to opt for OpenMW other than multiplayer at this time, trust me. Coming from someone who modded obsessively and unhealthily for 10+ years and playtested hundreds of mods on dozens of different setups.

BTB's game improvements (especially the "Game Settings" plugin) is still the best balance mod after 15 years, it makes logical corrections that should have been in the vanilla game and gives you reasons to play differently. Don't listen to these bums.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom