Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Discussion in 'Bethesda Game Studios' started by ScottishMartialArts, Aug 23, 2013.

1. MWaser Learned

MWaser
    Killing someone before they draw their weapon in Morrowind is as easy as successfully landing a hit with one of those silly weapons with 10 second paralysis effects on them.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Morroweird Novice

Morroweird
    And that's what I hoped to get from her corpse, but in fact she only had Dagoth Dagger, which does:

Cast When Strikes
    [​IMG] Absorb Fatigue 20 pts for 30 secs on Touch
    [​IMG] Drain Fatigue 20 pts for 15 secs on Self

Not bad, but not good enough to do a number on two Ordinators.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. MWaser Learned

MWaser
    I guess it could be pretty interesting if the cultist actually had something like a ranged paralysis ring that would require you to have spell reflection/absorption or resist/cure paralysis to fight them, and would also explain it storywise how they were so deadly.

Although without any greater script changes, you can naturally resist paralysis with willpower.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Drain willpower 100pts, paralysis, duh.

(I know several better ones too).

Anyway, what was implied there was sneak attack. A good sneak attacker won't necessarily be all that good at self defence. A formidable warrior (like ordinator) won't necessarily be effective when attacked by stealth or subterfuge.

^ Top  
  5. Morroweird Novice

Morroweird
    True, lore-wise it could be explained by stealth or by more exotic tactics (I don't think it's a coincidence that she was described as 'Dunmer woman wearing a skirt)'.

I think the Skyrim quest 'Blood on Ice' (a nod to Bathory? :obviously:) was a decent development of this idea. Can't remember if Oblivion had an equivalent.

^ Top  
  6. Funposter Savant

Funposter
    The weakest Ordinator in the game is Level 13 and has 257 Fatigue, so this dagger would knock them out after 13 seconds, not taking into account anything that they may do to wear themselves out, like chasing after a weirdo who just stabbed them in the back with a dagger. It's not that far-fetched that she was able to maybe score a couple of sneak attacks on guards and then evade them for 10 seconds or so before they lost consciousness.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Butter Magister

Butter
    Closest in Oblivion is A Brotherhood Betrayed probably.

^ Top  
  8. shidder Literate

shidder
    Started my first playthrough and just hit level 13. I think I should have put more points into Endurance as I get absolutely destroyed by anyone wielding a two-hander. I've done some quests for each guild in Balmora and have gained a a few ranks. When is a good time to continue with the main quest?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Funposter Savant

Funposter
    It's hard to say since you're apparently still struggling with hard-hitting NPC enemies. A well-built (arguably powergamed) character can very comfortably complete the main quest and several factions around Level 15-20. I think in a playthrough from a couple of years ago using the crappy premade Knight class I was able to finish the Imperial Legion, House Redoran and the Main Quest all by about Level 17/18 or so, but that's really not a difficult feat when nearly all of your level ups are coming from increases to weapon and armour skills, allowing for very high Strength and Endurance, which then leads to the snowball effect of using heavier and better armour, turning you into a walking tank.

If you mean "continue" as in go back to Caius after he's told you to gain some experience, then you won't have any problems at all. All of those early quests are made to be completable even by a Level 1 character and are pretty short dungeon crawls without any difficult enemies. The point where you go to meet the Ashlanders should still be very comfortable at Level 13, although the dungeon crawl is more extensive and has a couple of tougher, unique enemies, but it will also likely be the point where your character finally encounters some high-tier gear for the first time if you haven't already found some. The next quest, 'Sixth House Base', isn't particularly difficult but it will have a few Daedric enemies spawning based on levelled lists that might cause you some trouble since you're getting close to the point where any Daedric enemy can spawn, which could mean getting sandwiched by Golden Saints or something. This is also the point where the Main Quest really ramps up, and without going into spoilers, will keep you occupied without any oppurtunity for a break, which is uncharacteristic of Morrowind's questing system.

I'd say go for it, since you the gear you find in these dungeons will likely be the main thing bridging the gap between a scrub character still getting smacked around by bandits and a competent adventurer ready to dive into most of the game's dungeons.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. JDR13 Prophet

JDR13
    Difficulty in Morrowind is an oxymoron. Combat in the vanilla game becomes trivial before the halfway point.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Too bad it adjusted your character level on the fly if you equipped any stats enhancing equipment. Unless it was eventually fixed.

^ Top  
  12. Wayward Son Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Wayward Son
    You could just... not powergame... Morrowind isn’t that hard, you don’t need an optimal build to complete the game. My first time at 14 I didn’t even use any spells since I built a stealth character and played him as such with little to no grinding.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Thal Savant

Thal
    You're fine for the MQ, but don't come asking for tips here. Just build your character and enjoy the ride. Once you learn how to powergame, you'll never enjoy it the same way as before.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Wayward Son Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Wayward Son
    Agreed. Now that I know how to powergame Morrowind, I don’t think I’ve even reached a level near 13 or 14. It just gets boring.

^ Top  
  15. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Blood on Ice was a pretty decent quest - accounting for partial failure and different levels of success.

That's something oblivion quests didn't do on principle.

It's not ideal, mind you, for example, you are not able to find the actual killer before he strikes even though you should be able to.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Butter Magister

Butter
    The quest also breaks really easily, even with the unofficial patch.

^ Top  
  17. Carrion Arcane Patron

Carrion
    It was a neat quest in theory, but the execution was shit. As far as I remember, you can pinpoint the killer with absolute certainty, with more than enough evidence to support it (the game even gives you enough hints to do so!), yet the only thing you can do is follow the script and finally catch the killer red-handed, no real deductions required on the player's part. The one good thing about the quest is that you can actually fail it, and probably even will if you're just meekly following quest markers.

Many of Skyrim's seemingly more ambitious quests are like this, which arguably makes them more disappointing than a linear quest with no pretense of choice in the first place.

^ Top  
  18. Wayward Son Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Wayward Son
    Is Blood on Ice the murderer in windhelm one?

• Yes Yes x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
    The good news about the difficulty in Morrowind is that you can mod it pretty heavily, making the game nigh impossible to complete. And it's piss easy to do.

Some mods that spring to mind (I forgot the names):

• Harder Barter
    • disable Creeper and mudcrab merchant
    • BTB's game settings plugin
    • Faster projectiles
    • NPC use racial powers
    • single point to spend on attributes per level
    • advance skills via training only (Wizards & Warriors oldschool vibe)
    • Blight storms spread disease, you can die from blight which puts you on time pressure to cure it (technically a restored content mod)

• meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    IIRC you can only get the extra evidence early if you pickpocket the key from the actual murderer. Then it indeed turns into idiot ball following contest (unofficial patch makes it impossible to get the key early AFAIK).

Other than that it's quite ok - you can be misled into taking the investigation in wrong direction, you might end up with varying number of people dying depending on your performance.

It would have been better if it involved more shortcuts (getting killer's journal early) and potential entry points (get into Hjerim first and discover gruesome altar, etc.).

Disagreed. Involved railroaded quests tend to work poorly in open world games. If anything, even minimalistic quests that serve as excuse to go places are better.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Funposter Savant

Funposter
    Or just play as a pure Mage without exploiting alchemy, and experience the joy of 20-60% Reflect on all high level enemies.

^ Top  
  22. Funposter Savant

Funposter
    Yes, of course. I mean the easiest way to "fix" it is to just make it so that Intelligence has no effect on the outcome of potion-making so that the player can't infinitely stack Fortify Intelligence potions, which several mods already do.

^ Top  
  23. Curious_Tongue Larpfest Patron

Curious_Tongue
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
    1581352779842.png

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)