Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet another Piracy: Good or Bad? discussion

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Why aren't you respecting their wishes?

Just what part of "doing something bad doesn't mean you can't admit you are doing something bad"? Is this your brain on Undertale?

Deleted Member 16721

This is Satanism.

I don't know much about religions but in my own personal experience, it's about overcoming Satan and the influence of the negative mind. Once you discard that you can live freely, but I still believe you should be kind to each other and not hurt anybody. But I'm not going to get inovlved in debates like this as I have no interest in it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Why aren't you respecting their wishes?

Just what part of "doing something bad doesn't mean you can't admit you are doing something bad"? Is this your brain on Undertale?
You didn't admit it was bad though. You gave some half assed excuse about how you took a screenshot so it's yours now. You also didn't admit that watching a game on youtube is bad- even though that also goes against the wishes of publishers, which is your argument for why piracy is bad.

If their wishes don't matter, and the law doesn't matter, in what way is it bad?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You didn't admit it was bad though.

I admit it is bad.

You also didn't admit that watching a game on youtube is bad- even though that also goes against the wishes of publishers, which is your argument for why piracy is bad.

If the publishers say it's bad, then so be it. Videos should be taken down. I would expect them to quickly regret that decision, though.

all this discussion about what's legal and what's not. "legal" is a very temporary definition, volatile as much as "cultural". back in ancient greece, a society much more advanced than most of today, it was legal, cultural and encouraged to fuck young boys, and if the person in power did a bad job he was out, exiled, forever.
we lost the ability to cast away assholes and criminals, leaving them the chance to tell us what's legal and what's cultural. what a coincidence, both are exactly what make those criminals richer and richer. how quaint!
in layman's terms, i'd be more than glad to blindly buy deus ex, system shock 2, freespace 2, but when the whole industry is perfectly engineered in every detail to force me to suffer oblivion or biocock infinite i'll stop playing by the rules they made for themselves. it's my duty to do so.

Mustawd

Legal helps define if it’s “theft”. It also helps determine if you can be fined or jailed for said theft.

So imo it’s a very relevant aspect of the discussion.

EDIT: Like I’ve said before I think piracy is illegal. i consider it theft. Is it wrong? I’d say it depends ob the context. Does pirating something make me a bad person? I’d say it depends on the context.

Have I ever felt guilty for pirating something I could have purchased instead? Yes, once. I felt bad for pirating Vogel’s Avernum games because it does make a difference to his wallet in a tangible way.

But that’s it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Damned Registrations

Legal helps define if it’s “theft”. It also helps determine if you can be fined or jailed for said theft.

So imo it’s a very relevant aspect of the discussion.

So I ask the question: were blowjobs bad (in 18 states) until 2003, when they became legal? Did that illegality help define what was abusive, evil behaviour? And why does one country (ruled by a plutocracy with conflict of interest in this particular realm no less) get to decide what is good and bad? The legal aspect of things is a dead end. All you're left with is drooling worship of corporations for it's own sake.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
b6NWHiR.jpg

Damned Registrations

Also the panel where nobody gives a fuck because who needs to buy bikes when you can duplicate them en masse?

Also the panel where the guy who actually built the original bike gets paid to build new things worth duping by a shitload of people with bikes.

Damned Registrations

Yeah because nobody ever invented anything except for profit and the only way to make to make a profit is selling something with total control over it. :roll:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
It's really useful in the current #CultureWar.

For example I don't need to give SJW-run Netflix money when I want to watch something that I'll later use as fodder to bitch about how cucked it is.

:)

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Yeah because nobody ever invented anything except for profit and the only way to make to make a profit is selling something with total control over it. :roll:

True, how could we forget all those wonderful indie RPGs whose owners demand no money in return? My favorites are ..., ..., and ..., though I heard ... has some great C&C.

Even the indiest and purest of cRPGs has its developer banning Steam users left and right if they ask a gameplay question without an icon next to their name signifying they have purchased it.

Last edited:

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
When I was a kid, piracy was the only way I was able to play any games. As a result of me playing those pirated games, I became a fan of certain game series and genres.

Now that I'm older, I can pay for my games now. I especially want to pay for games that are in the series and genres of games that I became a fan of during my pirating youth.

However, I can't pay to play those games because they aren't being made because they don't make much money, in part because of piracy.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
in part because of piracy.
Or maybe because those games are often either shit or just unpopular without any market appeal. Even if every pirated copy of these games you speak of was a legitimate sale, chances are the situation would stay the same.

Damned Registrations

What kind of games do you mean anyways? Steam is crawling with games made by people who grew up on the same stuff. And most are dirt cheap.

True, how could we forget all those wonderful indie RPGs whose owners demand no money in return? My favorites are ..., ..., and ..., though I heard ... has some great C&C.

Even the indiest and purest of cRPGs has its developer banning Steam users left and right if they ask a gameplay question without an icon next to their name signifying they have purchased it.
Yeah I must have imagined all those games the codex helped kickstart that were in the black before they even had a copy to pirate. Or perhaps after releasing the game and getting torrented all those lost sales made them bankrupt?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Yeah I must have imagined all those games the codex helped kickstart that were in the black before they even had a copy to pirate. Or perhaps after releasing the game and getting torrented all those lost sales made them bankrupt?

When you help Kickstart a game you are giving money to the devs, genius.

Now ask yourself: why would a publisher give money to a dev when they will get nothing in return if people just pirate the game? Likewise, an indie game that gets no funding from people other than the dev team would probably not even bother making a game to begin with.

abija

Prophet
Sekiro was on torrents before you could play it on steam, single player game perfectly functional, no real "gain" from buying it. Not exactly a cheap game either, full outrageous AAA price. WORST possible scenario piracy wise. Yet it sits comfortably at 4th place on active players list.

Certainly doesn't look like users are the worst kind of scummy sociopaths. Wonder what's to gain in painting them that way and abusing guilt...

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
It's good because Game Preservation, also I just sold my PS4 pro and buying a PC. So I need to play pirated stuff for a while before I can afford games again!

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
Sekiro was on torrents before you could play it on steam, single player game perfectly functional, no real "gain" from buying it. Not exactly a cheap game either, full outrageous AAA price. WORST possible scenario piracy wise. Yet it sits comfortably at 4th place on active players list.

Certainly doesn't look like users are the worst kind of scummy sociopaths. Wonder what's to gain in painting them that way and abusing guilt...

I've not seen any other media where the customer is demonised to such an extent as in software, to me it would seem obvious that each pirate is a potential sale and you should be trying to lure them away, not calling them entitled man babies or whatever insult is fashionable this week.

Simple supply and demand states that if someone wants something then you try and provide it, at a price that both can agree upon, yet anti piracy measures and no longer available games always seem to affect the honest customer more than the pirate.

If you're driving the customer to pirate then don't complain when he does so, treat him better and try to lure him back.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
When you help Kickstart a game you are giving money to the devs, genius.
That's the point. They don't need to stop piracy to get funded. Plenty of other models for funding development or arts.

Except if you are an indie developer, there's a good chance you won't ever muster the amount of money (through backing) needed to create an AAA game. In other words, going the way of Kickstarter and Kickstarter only won't work. That's a measure for small developers with small ambitions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom