Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet another Piracy: Good or Bad? discussion

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Until recently, there was no indication that the consumer wasn't the owner of the game they paid for. It was just a technicality stated in the fine print of the EULA.
So even if the game was technically a lease, the customer only paid once, and they never heard boo from the publisher/developer about it afterwards.
That's not how laws work.

What are you talking about?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
ix7R374.png

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
What are you talking about?
Laws don't cease to be laws based on whether you consider them to be a technicality. You also can't invalidate honest-to-god established legal precedent simply by rating it "autistic" on the internet. None of this works like that.

You have to THINK about the posts you're responding to.

I said that until recently, game purchases were for all practical purposes you buying the game, not leasing it. Nearly all game purchases were done with one-time payments, and with no contact with the developer/publisher afterwards. A person handed over money to a retailer for a physical copy of a game, and that was it.

Technically, the EULA would say that you were leasing the game, but it ultimately had no effect on the experience of the person buying and playing the game.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
I said that until recently, game purchases were for all practical purposes you buying the game, not leasing it.
Which means fuckall if that's not actually what's occurring under law. What is your point?

The legal situation doesn't magically effect the reality of a situation.

If one drug dealer sells me some drugs for a sum of cash, and the next day I go to another drug dealer who "leases" me the same drugs for exact price as the previous dealer, what difference does it make to me? What practical difference is there between the two sales?

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Also, I think the leasing agreements publishers tried to push through their EULAs were bullshit anyway. Under the law, you owned the game if you had a physical copy. That's why you could sell them and give them away.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
The legal situation doesn't magically effect the reality of a situation.
Oh, you'd be surprised. The legal department at IBM was known colloquially throughout the computing world as "The Nazgul".
If one drug dealer sells me some drugs for a sum of cash, and the next day I go to another drug dealer who "leases" me the same drugs for exact price as the previous dealer, what difference does it make to me? What practical difference is there between the two sales?
...And now you're trying to equate the sale of an illegal substance to copyright law surrounding games, which makes all the sense of a bastard cat.

You're not very good at this.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I don't want to play any of those games.

Same, except Hollow Knight, which was cool.
His post is retarded anyways, just because he likes indie games better doesn't mean shit. Hit me up when an independent developer does something like Fallout: New Vegas.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I think his definition of indie is retarded. A massive bunch of those (especially the last panel of action games, where he lists Dota 2 as an indie action game) aren't indie in the modern sense of a very small team making them and are more in the classical definition of self published but still have a sizeable team like Looking Glass was in their later years.
Plus a bunch of them are forgettable shit no one will ever replay.

Damned Registrations

It's certainly not a AAA game either. I mean honestly, it's just ripped right off of a custom map for WC3 which was in turn ripped off of a custom map for starcraft. Fallout NV was far more forgettable than it's ancestors, which were made on a fraction of the budget with far less meddling from publishers. If that's your high bar for games you're too shit to even be worth talking to.

None of these games required big publisher dosh to make, a good chunk of them didn't even have seed funding from the developing studio itself, most were made by less than 10 people, and at least half a dozen of them spawned a shitton of clones. Tell me more about how games people still play 20-30 years after they came out are lame shit.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
One game.
How about hack n' slashes and platformers?
That 's kinda my point. More technically complex games are not easy to be developed by smaller teams.
The best platformer ever was made by 16 people.

What's the game's name?
Just some small, unknown game called Super Mario World.

Super Mario World is AAA yo.

A massive bunch of those (especially the last panel of action games, where he lists Dota 2 as an indie action game) aren't indie in the modern sense of a very small team making them and are more in the classical definition of self published but still have a sizeable team like Looking Glass was in their later years.
Plus a bunch of them are forgettable shit no one will ever replay.

Pretty much this.

Damned Registrations

So now that we've established that 'AAA' has nothing to do with the size or budget of a game or it's development team, I suppose piracy doesn't matter because anyone can make a AAA game with a kickstarter or just their own personal savings. As long as it's popular it's AAA!

Piracy is great. I can blow all that money on pinball, steaks and whisky while not creating a giant bookcase full of shit that I film my youtube videos in front of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom