Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Yooka Laylee: Impossible Lair

Ivan

Arcane
Figure this should have its own thread since it is quite different from the inaugural title:

As an original backer of the inaugural Yooka Laylee title, which ended up biting off more than it could chew and received mediocre reviews, the second entry in the series is a fantastic take on the classic Donkey Kong Country formula. The game presents the player with an overworld, think a mix of 2D Zelda and Mario 3. The overworld starts off simply enough, but soon it morphs into a cool level unto itself, through which you can alter the states of the levels, and discover secrets that only exist in that outer layer. Speaking of secrets, my favorite aspect of the game is the thought put into the secrets found in every of the game's levels. These secret coins are your bargaining chips for unlocking new worlds. The main reason I enjoy this so much is because it makes me flex not only my twitch reflxes, but you need to put yourself in the head of the level designer and ask yourself, where would I hide a secret if I were designing this. Most of the time, this is very well done. There was only one such secret that relied too much on luck thank skill for my taste.

Aesthetically, the game is serviceable. It's got more in the charm department than featuring truly impressive art. I wish in the sequel they really place more of their budget in the enemy department b/c enemy variety and behavior is really lacking. Interestingly enough, because the game doesn't really focus on "worlds" or "chapters" it's mostly boss-less and relies solely on its strong level design.

Then there is the titular "Impossible Layer." It's a meatgrinder of a level that will kill all players who play the game for the first time (no way anyone completes it with any foresight). Completing any level in the game (40 I believe, there could be secret worlds I have yet to find) will net you an extra hit you can take. And boy will you need them. I've only attempted the Impossible Lair twice and I the game says I've made it 70% of the way through on two attempts (my second was after collecting 30+ of the level completions armor points).

All in all this is a fantastic entry in the 2d-platforming pantheon. It makes me incredibly excited for a sequel where Playtonic can stretch their muscles and be more ambitious. They have the level design nailed down, now they just have to innovate and find new ways to alter the gameplay. This was definitely on my radar during the Xmas Steam Sale 2019, but it was a freebie on the Epic Game Store so that's how I got my hands on it. I look forward to purchasing on the Switch for my nephew.

Oh! It's also got an amazing soundtrack that will rank among the greats in all of gaming. You can tell much of the budget went here, it seems like there's a unique song for every single level in the game. Courtesy of: Grant Kirkhope, David Wise, Matt Griffin, and Dan Murdoch. Some favorites below:

Put this up there with the kids of the 2d-newschool: Rayman Origins/Legends, Giana Sisters, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's definitely one of the better nostalgia trips I've played in this genre. Especially if you were more of a SNES kid like me than a NES one. The levels changing between two "worlds" is cool too. I didn't last super long because for me the nostalgia wears off eventually and I want to play something I enjoy more now, but it's very good at being what it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom