Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You cannot totally avoid combat in Fallout 4.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://kotaku.com/guy-beats-fallout-4-without-killing-anyone-nearly-brea-1749882569

Sometimes, though, forcing a no-kill playthrough makes Fallout 4 lose its shit. There’s a quest in Fallout 4 where the player must save a companion, Nick Valentine, from a vault. Nick Valentine goes into the vault searching for a missing dame, only to find out she had actually run off with a mobster type, Skinny Malone. At the end of this level, the player has a confrontation with both Malone and the dame. You have a few options. You can attack everyone. You can convince the damsel to turn on her lover. Or, you can convince the damsel to leave without having to hurt anybody.

In a no-kill playthrough, the last option seems like the most reasonable one to pick, right? As Hinckley progresses through his playthrough, though, it becomes obvious that the game literally doesn’t know how to deal with a player who pacifies everyone into submission. So, he starts experiencing weird audio problems related to that peaceful mechanic. More notably, though, when he convinces the dame to leave, the game bizarrely spawns an enemy where it shouldn’t, and this forces the peaceful encounter to become violent once more. Normally, this wrinkle can be dealt with fine—Hinckley can simply pacify the characters again. The problem is, after calming everyone down, the game borks itself. Characters won’t continue their dialogue like they’re supposed to at that point. Nick Valentine refuses to actually leave the vault, even if there’s nothing stopping him from doing so. Hinckley becomes so desperate after this happens, he tries to physically push Nick out of the vault by force. It doesn’t work.

In this case, one of Fallout 4’s rare “talking your way out of it” options broke down because the player tried going through the entire game in a peaceful manner. The only way Hinckley could actually complete the quest was by picking the violent option, thereby starting a firefight that he couldn’t actually participate in. Worse, he had to stop his own companion from taking shots at anyone, because companion kills are logged as player kills. It took a ton of tries, but eventually the AI found a way to kill itself without any intervention. It’s amazing.

Basically, some dude plays through Fallout 4 with 0 kills, abusing save-scumming and some peaceful perks that allow the player to avoid killing, but it makes the game break down and glitch like hell because it never expected something like this happening.

bloodlover

Arcane
Well to be fair how many RPGs are there where you can totally avoid combat? I am assuming most of them are old(er) and were made with different views in mind, for different players and a different market.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
What's the point of playing a first-person shooter if you're not going to kill anyone? It's like people are thinking that this is an RPG.

Space Insect

Arcane

Lemming42

Arcane
Alpha Protocol, too, except for a single kill - the terrorist dude's bodyguard who necessarily dies in a cutscene. Don't think anybody ever reacted to non violence in AP, though, and the dude at the end still tries to call you a hypocrite by pointing out how many people you've killed, even though you've killed either nobody or one person depending on how you count it.

I wish more RPGs made pacifism interesting. The first two Fallouts had decent pacifist routes but there's still bullshit like having literally no solution to defeat the Great Khans in Fo1 other than killing the entire base. Fallout 2 pacifism pretty frequently devolves into fighting everyone but just shooting them in the arms, legs and genitals and hoping they run away before you accidentally critical hit them to pieces, unless you want to bypass about 90% of the game. New Vegas was great with a non-violent solution for literally every single quest except that bounty hunter one (and I think there were still ways to get the targets to kill themselves rather than you having to do it), but Age of Decadence shows the way it should be done, with characters who you spared coming back to haunt you and making you wonder whether it was really such a good idea to save them in the first place and stuff like that. The combat difficulty helps lethal violence to feel like a last resort, too, unless you're playing a combat dedicated character.

As for Fallout 4, it's just pathetic. When even redditors who came their pants over the Fat Man in Fo3 are complaining that the game doesn't have enough non-violent options Todd must know he's fucked up.

typical user

Arbiter
New Vegas was great with a non-violent solution for literally every single quest except that bounty hunter one (and I think there were still ways to get the targets to kill themselves rather than you having to do it)

As for Fallout 4, it's just pathetic. When even redditors who came their pants over the Fat Man in Fo3 are complaining that the game doesn't have enough non-violent options Todd must know he's fucked up.

I watched playthrough of some guy, who got popular from his non-violent New Vegas letsplay, he dealt with that quest by luring Violet and Driver Nephi into Cook-Cook who was enraged with death of his favourite brahmin, then he somehow lured him to NCR patrol or vice versa and collected their heads while running from any stragglers left.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Undertale is also one of the games where a pacifist run is possible.

wrs57.jpg

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hello, player, this is Fallout 4. I'm totally giving you access to a power armour in the first 15' of gameplay out of showcasing reasons, and because totally compelled by the storyline (myhandsaretied.png), not because I am in any way endorsing shooting stuff. Nossirreeeee.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
So some dude plays one of the few instances in the game where you can actually avoid combat by talking your way out of it, insists on breaking 3rd person dialogue scripts by forcing a not needed pacification script on the NPCs and then whines about the game denying him his peaceful solution?
Boy who could have expected that those fragile scripts could bug out if you do anything else than just sitting tight and watching. Shit, on my first try I managed to lock myself out of Diamond Shitty by trying to initiate dialogue with Piper while the conversation script was running and got stuck watching at the back of her head in close up.

I assume he will also draw a gun on a cop after successfully convincing him not to write a ticket as well. Just in case!

Kids these days...

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Undertale subverts this by making non-violent solutions still use the same mechanics as violent ones. Hey, just make it all combat but change the outcome...and you have pacifism. I hope the irony was intentional in that violence is *actually* the solution to all problems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom