Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Your favourite "hardcore" platformers?

Atomic Runner
Run Saber

These ones are underrated as fuck, excellent games.

I've recently found Chakan - The Forever Man for Megadrive, gameplay is raw but fun and that weird grim setting rules the night.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I've recently found Chakan - The Forever Man for Megadrive, gameplay is raw but fun and that weird grim setting rules the night.
Too fuckin' hard dude.

I loved the setting/comics, but the game was just too rough. Bad physics, very dark (as in hard to make out) graphics, much frustration. They planned a sequel in 3D, which eventually got rebranded as Blood Omen 2. I loved that weird af steampunk with aliens, nightmare fuel, prostitutes and degenerates everywhere setting.

Ivan

Arcane
Playing Jack 2 was such a jarring experience. It felt like they had traded the simple collect-a-thon gameplay of Jack 1 into GTA 3. I enjoyed it at the time but I did feel the switch in gameplay was not to its benefit. I'll go into Ratchet and Clank expecting Jack 2/3 and not a collect-em-all platformer.

Falksi

Arcane
These ones are underrated as fuck, excellent games.

Definitely. I remember playing Atomic Runner in the arcade and wanting a home port, then when the Megadrive version arrived I couldn't believe it was even better. Good times.

Yeah I remember Chakan. It's definitely a struggle to play at times, but the setting, vibe & premise makes it worth it. I remember being drawn in by that intro big time.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
One of my favourite platformes is Crash Bandicoot. I recall having great fun playing back in the days in video game club.

I recall playing more games but I don't remember their names.

People should be more tolerant to less smarter people and include them in enviroment.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure: Forbidden Planet

Cosmo.png

The first episode is a lot of fun but it's also pretty easy going all things considered. It's worth playing and features a neat special cameo. The later episodes will really put you to the test.

Dark Ages: Same as above but without the cameo appearance. This was the first game I played that put that fancy sound card to good use:love:

Prehistorik, Realms of Chaos, Monster Bash, The Keen games, Jill of The Jungle, Bio Menace and the 2 original Duke Nukum Nukem games are also highly recommended.

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Plenty of fond memories of platformers on NES, SNES, and PC back in the day.

I recently got a Super NT and have been replaying a bunch of games. (BTW, the Super NT is AMAZING and well worth the $200 plus shipping).

Super Mario 3 was always my favorite in the series as a kid, but replaying Super Mario World has opened my eyes to what a perfect game it really is. The levels take concepts in all previous Mario games to the extreme, all the new added bits are used to craft some very memorable and interesting levels, and although the game is not difficult at all, there are some tricky parts here and there. On top of the brilliant level design you have the exploration aspect in that all the red stages (and some ghost houses) have secret exits. It might be something you would simply not pay attention to your first time through, but then you go back and switches from a pure platformer to more of a sandbox/exploration type of thing (which would be explored TO THE MAX in Mario 64).

Contra III is another platformer that is not "hardcore" but difficult enough on the higher difficulty levels, but is a blast to play and perfect your game. It's a great game for your first attempt at a no-continue (or even no-loss) run. It's just memorable set-piece after memorable set-piece, without feeling artificial, with some of the most intense music and atmosphere in a game.

It is arguable whether Splatterhouse is a "platformer" since falling into a pit will typically just send you into a harder section of a level rather than kill you. However, this is just another great game that has atmosphere in spades and some great boss fights (excluding the first couple where you can easily find safe spots and literally just keep pressing punch to win). Another great choice for one's first no-continue run.

Metal Storm: Great game where you can switch the direction of gravity up and down, with the challenge expected of an IREM game.
Vice: Project Doom: A fun mix of gameplay styles like Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden and Spy Hunter.
Super Meat boy and The End is Nigh: Modern versions of the classic merciless platformer genre, with distinct style.
Maximo: Ghosts to Glory: Modern version of the Ghosts and Goblins series with a similar difficulty level.
Bionic Commando, Rocking Kats and Umihara Kawase: Grappling is a great alternative to jumping.
Adventures of Batman and Robin for SNES: This is the only batman game I really like, but it is one of my favorites. Wildly varied, captures the feel of the comics perfectly and quite challenging.
Aladdin: One of Capcom's best from the 16 bit era.
Not A Hero: A fun and challenging parody of Hotline Miami.
Gunstar Heroes: Lightning fast action game with a lot of variety.
Mutant Apocalypse and the SNES version of War of the Gems: Unusual combinations of fighting games and beat em ups, it takes a while to get used to the controls but once you do they are very fun.
Prince of persia: Classic series, definitely flawed but charming. I usually prefer more responsive controls, but somehow it works.
Moon Crystal: A superior Japanese version of Prince of persia
Plok: Surreal game that is definitely unique
Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands and Parasol Stars: Surreal series of games, each distinct
Legend of the Mystical Ninja: Odd game series about a theif, somewhat awkward but very fun.

Egosphere

Arcane
Not too familiar with the genre at all.
I think the only classic which I've finished is Abe's Odyssey, which was awesome.
I recently beat Volgarr the Viking as well. Its quite new, from 2013. Its not that hard once you beat the second ( water ) world, but there's a Valkyrie ( ie. no hit ) run which is nigh on impossible but which unlocks the more difficult versions of each level. If you die, you have to start the game over again if you want to do that run, so i never bothered with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom