Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Your favourite shooter FPS games?

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
I wanna play some FPS games with guns and mags and clips and stuffs but not sure what to play. My current ideas is either SWAT 4 or STALKER: SHADOW OF CHERNOBYL, I played a bit of SWAT 4 before and played a lot of STALKER so I think SWAT 4 would be a fresher experience but idk some new mods might have come out for stalker. Anyhow what other FPS shooter games are there of a similar calibre to these that you wold recommend to me?

Martyr

Arcane
you want a modern FPS, not some 90s games, right?

Call of Juarez
Far Cry 2
Crysis
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Tron 2.0

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Swat 4, Swat 5 (Ready or not),
Crysis 1 - 3, Call of Juarez 1 and 2, R6 Vegas and Vegas 2.
I haven't played many FPSes but these are the ones I liked.
Edit: typos.

schru

Arcane
The original Far Cry is very nice, combining a bit more realistic and challenging shooting with semi-open levels and freedom of approach. The later games that Ubisoft made under that title had very little to do with the first one and Crytek on its own also failed to live up to its quality with the Crysis games.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Medal of Honor Allied Assault (+ Spearhead and Breakthrough)

Operative No one lives forever

Red Faction (2001)

Aliens versus Predator 2

Soldier of Fortune

Vietcong

Chronicles of Riddick - Escape from Butcher Bay

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
No One Lives Forever 1 & 2 for fun(ny) spy stuff. The first game is a masterpiece, the sequel has its moments. And if we're talking about Monolith, F.E.A.R. has some of the most enjoyable FPS combat out there. Avoid the sequels.

From tactical shooters I'd recommend Rainbow Six: Raven Shield and Rogue Spear (if not too old), as well as Operation Flashpoint. Cream of the crop from that genre alongside SWAT 3 & 4.

edit: If you're looking for something relatively modern but not outright popamole, I think you'll find plenty of stuff that's worth checking out from around 1999 to 2005, lots of games that weren't really all that great but which blow the current stuff out of the water. Wunderbar already listed a bunch of those.

Last edited:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Except for MoH:AA. CoD1 is better. If you think otherwise you must've not played it in 19 years.

Wunderbar

Arcane
CoD is too reliant on setpiece battles with dozens of bots on your side, Mohaa is a bit more oldschool and has a plenty of levels where you're alone.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
CoD is too reliant on setpiece battles with dozens of bots on your side
Except they are designed to be mostly background fluff, they don't influence actual gameplay much.

Moh has less realistic damage absorption, simpler hitboxes and less movement options. It's clunky and ugly. I'm sure there is good stuff still in there, but cod is better in every way.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
And here I was watching all the Civvie 11 and Gmanlives vids with far older shooters. There are some stinkers.

Lemming42

Arcane
Ignoring the post-1.6 requirement to say Blood, Outlaws, Unreal, Half-Life and Kingpin.

Anyway, post-1.6 games:
Soldier of Fortune
Red Faction
No One Lives Forever
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Soldier of Fortune 2 (not as good as the first one)
Call of Duty (first one is fine)
Far Cry
F.E.A.R.
Call of Juarez
Rainbow Six 3 (only good RS game)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Metro 2033
Far Cry 3
Singularity
Metro Last Light
Metro Exodus

To respond to the argument above, CoD and MoHAA are doing totally different things. CoD is about simulating huge battles where your teammates shoot into the air and get shot while you walk over to glowing objectives and press F on them to make Sgt Moody kick a door open so you can proceed, whereas MoHAA is pretty much just about you going solo (occasionally with really shitty teammates who can die with no effect on the game) and wiping everyone out.

The only really bad part of MoHAA is Sniper Town. It's completely fucked.

thesoup

Arcane
e.y.e divine cybermancy if you haven't played it for some unfathomable reason
Not a pure fps shooter, but pure fps shooters are boring repetitive garbage in singleplayer anyway

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
you want a modern FPS, not some 90s games, right?

Call of Juarez
Far Cry 2
Crysis
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Tron 2.0
Bro, we're in 2019. If this was 2009, would you consider a game from 1999 to be modern?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom