Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your pet peeves

Swigen

Arbiter
Entering a detailed space, but being unable to interact with it.
Like in Shadowrun, the levels are well drawn, but you can't interact with anything. You can't sit on a chair, you can't flush the toilet, you can't loot a flower from the pot, stupid little things like that. I much prefer the useless, but existing interactivity of Divinity Original Sin.

are there more bros with similar opinions?

Yeah! It’s a pet peeve of mine in FPS’s when you can’t shoot lights, glass or things that should move like billiards balls. Duke Nukem got it right like 25 years ago, fuckin’ figure it out!

Black Angel

Arcane
Related to audio aspects, I know that many will disagree but:

- Continuous music.

Music should happen only in specific moment where it can really contribute to the mood of the game. If the music is playing continuously, every potential strengths is automatically defused. More over, continuous music is simply annoying. For Pete's sake, even good music at the level of Beethoven became unbearable when listened for 30+ hours.
I hate non-stop music in particular in fantasy RPGs, where it is usually obnoxious generic fake orchestral epic music. Particular offenders are also some JRPGs where not only the music is continuous, you cannot switch it off too.
Some examples of music well integrated in the gameplay: Half-life, Portal, Thief.
One thing that is worse than unskippable cutscenes: unmutable music.
Thief 2 became unplayable to me when, unlike Thief 1, I couldn't turn down the ambient sounds (which is closer to music than "organic" sounds). It's especially grating when you use headphones.
Do you guys not having much fun playing Fallout, Age of Decadence, and Underrail because of this? Although, they can definitely be muted/turned down completely, but still I think ambient soundtracks actually reinforce the whole experience of playing these kind of games.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Related to audio aspects, I know that many will disagree but:

- Continuous music.

Music should happen only in specific moment where it can really contribute to the mood of the game. If the music is playing continuously, every potential strengths is automatically defused. More over, continuous music is simply annoying. For Pete's sake, even good music at the level of Beethoven became unbearable when listened for 30+ hours.
I hate non-stop music in particular in fantasy RPGs, where it is usually obnoxious generic fake orchestral epic music. Particular offenders are also some JRPGs where not only the music is continuous, you cannot switch it off too.
Some examples of music well integrated in the gameplay: Half-life, Portal, Thief.
One thing that is worse than unskippable cutscenes: unmutable music.
Thief 2 became unplayable to me when, unlike Thief 1, I couldn't turn down the ambient sounds (which is closer to music than "organic" sounds). It's especially grating when you use headphones.
Do you guys not having much fun playing Fallout, Age of Decadence, and Underrail because of this? Although, they can definitely be muted/turned down completely, but still I think ambient soundtracks actually reinforce the whole experience of playing these kind of games.
Ambient music is more bearable, Thief is a fine example. but yes, when I played Fallout, after a while, I turned the music off, even though I liked it. I have not played Underrail or AOD yet..

Quillon

Arcane
Uuuhh, that reminds me: Any alternate vision is pure shit; witcher sense, eagle vision etc. Even makes me appreciate fucking Bethesda for they are making stuff stand out naturally instead of fucking whole other layer of shit effects just to be able to spot shit.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
Immersive animations that get in the way of the gameplay, thinking about modern Rockstar here.

Pretend gameplay like the opening of MGS5 when you have to hold down a button to progress through whats essentially a cutscene, and it tries to make it seem like you are doing more than you actually are.

Last edited:

Silentstorm

Learned
Team wants to make a game with great story that advances the medium itself, and then proceed to make a game that is basically just cutscenes with some QTE's mixed in and maybe a few minutes of actually being able to control anything.

Man, you don't need constant action to tell a story, adventure games and visual novels do that all the damn time, but could you at least make a game that doesn't make me feel like it's just a movie where i am forced to click a button sometimes?

Even visual novels have more interactivity by giving choices, and, at least, allowing me to read and click through the dialogue at my own pace, sorry, i just disagree with the notion that the only way to make a game artistic or advance the medium is to basically rip off movies as much as one can.

Swigen

Arbiter
NPC character portraits that don’t look ANYTHING like their in game models. Come on, it’s fuckin’ 2019, get yore shit together.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Shitty crafting systems
Shitty combat, slow, clunky and bad animations, with no way to speed up the combat
Shitty UI, that absolutely will be a hassle to deal with
Shitty item micromanagement game within a game, that also ties in with shit UI
Cutscenes every 3 minutes
Shitty sound and music design

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom