Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Lemming42

Arcane
Here's a truckload of spicy takes to get some people upset.

I'll take it a few steps further and say that I think virtually all of the series mentioned in this post are shit. pre-X Final Fantasy is ok but Tales Of, Dragon Quest, Persona, Fire Emblem, Pokemon and Xeno series are all nightmarish wall-to-wall shit, start to finish. Especially Fire Emblem, I just really don't get that series at all. Bunch of shitheads running around hitting each other with swords that shatter to pieces after 30 hits, nice.

While we're at it, nobody over the age of 5 should be playing Pokemon. I'm sorry but it's true. In fact even anyone aged 5 or under should find something better to play. And don't even get me started on Dragon Quest, oh god. It's literally just a worse version of every other jRPG.

I like Banjo Kazooie though

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Divinity: Original Sin 1 & 2 and Pillars of Eternity 2 are good RPGs.

Civilization V with all DLC and the strategic top-down view like in Civ 1 is more enjoyable than any of its predecessors.

I do not like any of the "Action RPGs" with real-time combat.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Oblivion is not that bad.

I hate my character blocking the view when playing.

I can't stand music in 1st person games. It breaks my immersion.

RTwP makes for a nice change from TB.

The IE games are superior to the Gold Box games.

What's exciting about digital tits&ass in games? There's a whole world and a whole internet full of the real stuff.

I don't give a ratkin's ass wether Diablo 2 is a real arpeegee or not. I just enjoy playing it.

Lemming42

Arcane
- The entire Witcher series is terrible.

- Mass Effect 2 is the worst entry in the trilogy by far, and that's really saying something given how flawed 1 and 3 are.

- I like turn-based tactics games with premade characters.

- Far Cry games are fun, from the first one all the way through to the new ones, though 5 and 6 were very low-effort stuff from the devs.

- Mentioned it in the NV thread earlier, but Fallout's speech checks are consistently lazy, click-to-win design. People correctly rag on "awesome button" shit, but speech checks are the same - congratulations, you have won the quest by clicking the heavily-signposted dialogue option, and now you've achieved the best resolution with no effort, your gameplay experience being indistinguishable from clicking on a spreadsheet. Fallout 1 can be forgiven as it paved the way, but Fallout 2 did nothing to expand on it and New Vegas over a decade later somehow ended up with even more boring quest structure.

- To make the above point doubly unpopular, Fallout 3 is the only game where they even tried to address this problem - the speech check solution to Tenpenny Tower unexpectedly leads to the worst possible outcome, for example, and deploying the skill checks to lie to Moira about your findings results in the book turning out shit and gives you a different perk iirc.

- nuDoom isn't fun at all and doesn't remotely recapture anything good about Doom. I don't know if that's still unpopular, a lot of people shit on the nuDoom games these days, but it used to be an unpopular view.

- Also, Doom 3 isn't that bad.

Remakes are bad (yes, this has become an unpopular opinion in 2023)
For a PC gamer, they make no sense. But for console gamers, they need them so they can have an actual library of games to play, because they still live in the prehistoric time of physical releases. That means devs can't just rerelease a game digitally with optimizations and other improvements attached to them.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Battlespire is one of the most underrated games ever made.

Thief 3 is a shit game.

Whole Mass Effect and Dragon Age series are bad.

Diablo 2 is mediocre game.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Nothing wrong with world of warcraft artstyle, it's just that many artist can't pull it off.

Hated exploring the town in Planescape Torment, used the walkthrough to minimize the amount of extra walking and to skip to the good parts.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with awesome buttons

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Planescape Torment is overwritten, pretentious storygaming for the interactive novel crowd.
Baldur's Gate is dead boring. bad aesthetics, bad gameplay, uninteresting exploration.
The Might & Magic games are not bad for light entertainment, but until VI and VII (the peak of the series), kinda mid-tier.
Savage Empire >> Ultima VI

Don Peste

Arcane
Short Hair Flat Chest Player Character
pipboy_approve.png

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The PC gamer cultural identity was forged during the 2000s, the platform's darkest decade, and any one of these kids who entered PC gaming after 2010 and adhere heavily to the "master race" PC gamer identity are cucks, whiggas and just generaly guilty of cultural appropriation.
I'll necro this, since it's objectively wrong. PC gamer identity was already taking shape in the 80s-90s decade shift, when the 386-cucks tried to compete with Amiga. ...and unfortunately 486 then won.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
There have been a number of great games released post-2007
name one
World of Goo, Trine, Demon's Souls, Mount & Blade: Warband, Dark Souls, Legend of Grimrock I & II, FTL, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Dragon's Crown, Shovel Knight, Apotheon, Age of Decadence, Salt & Sanctuary, NieR: Automata, Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar, Kenshi, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children, and probably missing a few.

kA3m1cp.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom