Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline You're a cunt if you worship these games Top 40

Which Games Should never be near a "Top/Greatest Game" list?

• Mass Effect 2

Votes: 32 32.0%
  • Skyrim

Votes: 45 45.0%
  • Witcher 3

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • Bioshock

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • GTA 5

Votes: 22 22.0%
  • Minecraft

Votes: 20 20.0%
  • LA Noire

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Red Dead Redemption 1

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Uncharted 2

Votes: 34 34.0%
  • Secret Of Mana

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • Seiken Deketsu 3

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Ocarina of Time

• Pokemon

Votes: 22 22.0%
  • Tetris

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Fire Emblem

• Chrono Trigger

• Fallout 4

Votes: 56 56.0%
  • Fallout NV

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Metal Gear Solid 3

• Last of Us

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • Horizon Zero Dawn

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • Boarderlands 2

Votes: 33 33.0%
  • Batman Arkham City

Votes: 18 18.0%
  • Assasins Creed

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • Far Cry 3

• Total War

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undertale

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • World of Warcraft

• Disco Elysium

• Donkey King Kong Komrade Country 2 and 3

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • Call of Duty 4

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • Nier Automata

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Half-Life 1

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Half Life 2

• Gauntlet

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Civilization 2/ Civilization 4

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Castlevania/ Castlevania 3/ Castlevania: Bloodlines/ Meteroidvanias

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Gain Ground

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Street Fighter 2/ Championship Edition

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters

Citizen

Was 1000% with you my man up until that point...

Divinity Original Sin, even all patched up

To the iggy bin with ya!

Egosphere

Arcane
Far Cry 3 - I suppose this could be merged into one with the Assbandit series (and Ghost Recon Wildlands, it's like different bulges from one smelly tumor), as both suffer from the Ubisoft Game Syndrome - if you played one, you pretty much played them all...
and none were any good really. Now, for Far Cries, I never played the first one, the best I could say about the second is that it's decent but deeply flawed. Third is pure decline all over, and all that hue hue I subvert you business that
came out in the story only served to leave a bad taste in my mouth. The rest of the entries bored me out of my skull.

is this the one with the dino's. I can't remember

It's the one where pirates capture you and you go on a berserk rampage across the island, decimating their forces. It's actually a good game, I dunno why people don't like it. The plot gets fucking terrible with the tribal/mystic shit, but even then that's only about 20 minutes of the game, the rest is just self-aware ridiculous action movie fun.

It kills off the best antagonist in the game, Vaas, way too early. There's the 2nd villain that comes later, and he has a pretty cool scene where you play poker against him, but the story stops making sense by that point. Which is a shame, because Far Cry 3 is the Far Cry that stood out the most in the series. They reverted to type in the sequel.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
(Posting on historic thread which is sure to be a rich mine of salt and butthurt.)

Half-Life 1, not because it's a bad game, but because it basically killed Doom-esque non-scripted shooters for two decades, a drought we are only JUST NOW recovering from. The damage that single game has done to an entire genre is incalculable.

Lemming42

Arcane
(Posting on historic thread which is sure to be a rich mine of salt and butthurt.)

Half-Life 1, not because it's a bad game, but because it basically killed Doom-esque non-scripted shooters for two decades, a drought we are only JUST NOW recovering from. The damage that single game has done to an entire genre is incalculable.

That's not a fair argument against the game itself. Similarly, Diablo was instrumental in killing RPGs for virtually all of the 2000s, but that doesn't reflect badly on Diablo - it reflects badly on developers who tried to ape it, and the videogames industry as a whole.

Half-Life is very tightly and professionally made, and it did something relatively novel and new at the time, and did it better than almost all of its imitators over the subsequent twenty years.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
All third-person cover shooters are inherently garbage, but Spec Ops: The Line takes the cake for attempting to justify it's trashy unoriginal gameplay with meta commentary on war and whatever. They managed to get what's bad about Cover Shooters and what's bad about Walking Simulators and unite all of it in a worst of both worlds package. And critics loved it (of course!).

I feel like this is a real contender for the top spot on the list.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Bad: All of your favorite games and anything released after the year 2000

Good: All of my favorite games including things released after 2000 because reasons

The Ugly: If one of my favorite games is one of your favorites it's only bad for you. I appreciate it on a deeper level than you could ever possibly imagine, you poor plebe.

Sykar

Arcane
Chrono Trigger and MGS3 are, in fact, pretty good

--------------------------------------

As for my suggestion, anything named Halo shouldn't be anywhere near these lists

Sure but according to its rabid fanbase they are the best thing since sliced bread. Dont get me wrong when I was around 15 me and my best friend loved to take turns playing CT on SNES but we never thought it was THE BEST GAEM EVARZ!!!111

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Assasins Creed with cut-scenes

This makes me think you're just being purposely inflammatory. Not to mention that Ass Creed has cut scenes.

The more likely truth is that you're just retarded. I'm perfectly comfortable with you disliking a great game. But this description? Bizarro

I'd call for you to get some sort of tag, but you'd probably be dumb enough to wear it with pride.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

The incline it brought about through providing context and immersion elements that were never there before was amazing, is what I think you mean to say.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
The incline it brought about through providing context and immersion elements that were never there before was amazing, is what I think you mean to say.

Duke Nukem is immersive

giphy.gif

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Duke Nukem is immersive

giphy.gif

Literally one of the most profound and profoundly enjoyable moments I ever came across in a video or PC game, and the first time I realized that these kicks weren't for kids and I could pretend I wasn't a man-child, for a little while at least. "Shake it, baby!"

PkogE27.gif

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Literally one of the most profound and profoundly enjoyable moments I ever came across in a video or PC, and the first time I realized that these kicks weren't for kids and I could pretend I wasn't a man-child, for a little while at least. "Shake it, baby!"

My father-in-law was a PC gamer back in the day, and while he hasn't played anything in years we still talk about the old stuff sometimes. He always brings up Duke and the "shake it baby" line when we're talking FPS games. I swear I hear more about Duke 3D than I do my wife's childhood.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom