Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline You're a cunt if you worship these games Top 40

Which Games Should never be near a "Top/Greatest Game" list?

• Mass Effect 2

Votes: 32 32.0%
  • Skyrim

Votes: 45 45.0%
  • Witcher 3

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • Bioshock

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • GTA 5

Votes: 22 22.0%
  • Minecraft

Votes: 20 20.0%
  • LA Noire

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Red Dead Redemption 1

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Uncharted 2

Votes: 34 34.0%
  • Secret Of Mana

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • Seiken Deketsu 3

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Ocarina of Time

• Pokemon

Votes: 22 22.0%
  • Tetris

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Fire Emblem

• Chrono Trigger

• Fallout 4

Votes: 56 56.0%
  • Fallout NV

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Metal Gear Solid 3

• Last of Us

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • Horizon Zero Dawn

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • Boarderlands 2

Votes: 33 33.0%
  • Batman Arkham City

Votes: 18 18.0%
  • Assasins Creed

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • Far Cry 3

• Total War

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undertale

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • World of Warcraft

• Disco Elysium

• Donkey King Kong Komrade Country 2 and 3

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • Call of Duty 4

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • Nier Automata

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Half-Life 1

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Half Life 2

• Gauntlet

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Civilization 2/ Civilization 4

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Castlevania/ Castlevania 3/ Castlevania: Bloodlines/ Meteroidvanias

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Gain Ground

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Street Fighter 2/ Championship Edition

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
It's a shame there are so many brothels and prostitutes in games but so few strippers, when clearly strippers lend themselves far more to the medium.

You character bangs a pro in the game, it ain't gonna make your life any less miserable. Watching a girl take her shirt off on the other hand, well, that's always entertaining.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Whilst felipepepe It's not even a good fucking shooter at that.

If you think "What is an RPG" is a difficult question then be assured "What is a good shooter" is far worse.

There's nothing approaching a meaningful consensus and universal agreement on basically any of the relevant points of the issue is impossible.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Witcher 3 is overrated as fuck as an RPG, but as an open world action game? Much more plausible top 50 candidate. Same for Mass Effect 2 I guess, for people who like popamole cover shooting I'm sure that's a top 10 game, let alone top 50. That's an issue with a "top 50 everything!" list... everything's relative at that point, it's all about what appeals to a specific person rather than the ideas of a specific genre. That's why I'd be happier with a "top 50 shooters" list or whatever.

For me personally... I mostly hate games that are more about being movies than interactive, so Metal Gear Solid and Uncharted spring to mind. Seeing those on a Codex top 50 would make me sad.

The only witcher game that could be considered a proper CRPG is the first one. The Witcher series turned into an action-adventure series that really wants to be batman / assassin's creed in Witcher 2. Which is fine if you are into that sort of thing, but if you want an actual RPG with a detailed world, lots of content and actual consequences for your actions you'll want Witcher 1. Which means having to deal with dull combat, lots of jank and spending most of your time in a swamp.

Its almost as if no one today knows what a proper CRPG is and got the idea that action-adventure games with light crafting, minimal choices that don't really change anything and weak character progression are RPGs from Skyrim...

Most Top X lists are a load of wank anyway. The only way to get a proper top list is to create one from consensus, and the masses tend to be wrong anyway. Just look at the misunderstanding of what RPGs are as proof.

Last edited:

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Bad: All of your favorite games and anything released after the year 2000

Good: All of my favorite games including things released after 2000 because reasons

The Ugly: If one of my favorite games is one of your favorites it's only bad for you. I appreciate it on a deeper level than you could ever possibly imagine, you poor plebe.
We need a Lyric Suite button.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Any Witcher except the first one
Any Dragon Age except the first one
Any Mass Effect except the first one
Any Fallout after Tactics
Any TES after Morrowind
Any Piranha Bytes game except Gothic 2

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
If playing for rank and w/o arena it becomes a bit more interesting but yeah the moment to moment gameplay is dragged out compared to the other Fire Emblems.

Also Falksi why on earth did you lump all of FE together just due to this one entry in it?.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You should replace Mass Effect 2 with first game as ME1 is a piece of shit game thats also on a Codex top 70 list of best RPGs of all time, while ME2 is not on that list.
ME2 is more a shooter than an RPG.

Your point?

This isnt discussion on what game is more of a RPG but what shitty games get lot of praise and people who praise them being cunts.

ME1 is a piece of shit game that has a large cunt following on Codex.

Falksi

Arcane
Total War - I like these games, but can see why they should be on the list.

Why?

Good question.

From those I've played (Shogun, Rome, Medieval 1 & 2, Rome 2) I've found them great fun, but also a bit lacking. The fun came from satisfaction in winning most the time, but when I sat back an analyzed the actual battles themselves, most were pretty straight forward.

I like them, I wouldn't vote for them, but I can see why some would think they get put on the "top" lists too much.

Remember, a lot of the games included on the list aren't ones which I personally dislike. It's a mix of those which I think should be on the list, but which I also think folk put forward a decent enough case for going on the list too.

Jason Liang

Arcane
A game can have some warts and still be top 100. These things are ultimately judged by the unique things they do best, not what they do poorly. Of course they can't have serious flaws such as Arcanum.

That said I have some general issues:

a) Single-player RTS games. RTS's are simple games at heart and no single RTS offers enough variety of gameplay to be considered truly great. I get why Homeworld has fans but it clearly illustrates this problem. These things can only be judged by their depth in 1v1 multiplayer, basically the video game version of Chess, which is why out of this genre I selected Red Alert. StarCraft otoh is just too twitchy and not cerebral compared to Red Alert.

b) FPS games. I could never get into these for one reason - I just find it ridiculous to play these games with a mouse or gamepad. Get a light gun for chrissakes

c) Games that are too cartoony. I'm not a little boy anymore. Super Mario World and SMB3 might seem brilliant when you were 12 or 19, but it's hard to take a game where you stomp on koopas and goombas seriously once you are 39.

Specific games:

Tetris: Ultimately the strategy to Tetris is limited. Then it becomes just a distraction/ time-waster.

Street Fighter 2/ Championship Edition: It's true that it inspired an entire genre and deserves credit for that. But in the 20+ years since it has been far surpassed by its successors. Let's not get too nostalgic here.

Nethack/ Rogue: Ultimately I went with the most refined version of this genre that I feel in many ways transcend the genre, which was Invisible Inc.

Gain Ground: I saw Gain Ground in HCG's top 100, and it would probably make my top 100 too, but not my top 25 since I think again, a lot of what makes Gain Ground special can also be found in Invisible Inc.

Castlevania/ Castlevania 3/ Castlevania: Bloodlines/ Meteroidvanias:
I love Castlevania but ultimately 2D platformers really do not really fit horror or exploration that well. The best fit for 2D platformer I feel is Ninja platformer, which is why I went with the masterpiece of the 2D Ninja platformer, Shinobi 3. And if not one of the Shinobi games (all are really amazing), then Strider.

Ikaruga: This has the reputation for being the "ultimate" shooter but honestly it's a) too short and b) too abstract. For me the two gems in this genre are Boogie Wings and Steel Empire.

Gauntlet: Gauntlet is in my top 100 but for top 25 I went with Diablo instead. Gauntlet was a great multiplayer game, a game that captured the imagination of a generation of gamers, and a formula whose legacy includes everything from Diablo 3 to Assassin's Creed to Gain Ground to Rogue/Invisible Inc to Grand Theft Auto. But really, like Tetris, it's a game whose strategic depth is has a limit.

Europa Universalis/ Crusader Kings 2: Ultimately grand strategy games are using the formula invented by KOEI, and while Paradox's efforts are interesting and baroque, they are ulltimately not as fun. So for me, Uncharted Waters still holds the throne uncontested.

Civilization 2/ Civilization 4: Ultimately the weakness of this series is twofold: one, they are pretty terrible multiplayer, and two, they are strategically repetitive. The terrible multiplayer is worsened by poor AI, and the strategic shallowness is worsened by endgame complexity bloat, which this series has never managed to solve. Only SMAC ended up transcending these limitations. The enormous creative and strategic depth in SMAC's tech tree means that even after thousands of hours, one can still find a new challenge to explore and overcome in this classic.

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
Seconding (thirding?) StarCraft. It's a solid game and has good multiplayer, but it's one of the late 90s RTS games (along with AoE and a couple others) that typifies the most boring interpretation of the genre - sitting there in your base waiting for units to produce while you click-spam produce unit. Sometimes, you might have to sit and wait about 60 seconds for the collector units to go get more minerals and gas. Then when you've spammed enough, you just highlight everyone and attack move to the other end of the map. It's fun in multiplayer but the singleplayer is completely boring.

The main defence of StarCraft is that "it's perfectly balanced!!! you need a mixed-unit army to win!!! you can counter everything!!!" All true enough and again, works in multiplayer, but every single singleplayer mission is just about steamrolling your way through the pre-placed enemy forces, who all have really easily exploitable AI. Bonus fun when you destroy their base but one collector got away and starts building a new HQ in the fog of war somewhere. Great.

Command & Conquer was always better because, sloppily designed as it is, it always tried to give players the fastest route to having tens of people blowing the shit out of each other on-screen, which is what the genre's about, let's be real. Also the Tanya missions in Red Alert were way more fun than the equivalent missions in StarCraft where you had to guide the premade units through ships or bases or whatever it was. CHA-CHING!!!! LET'S ROCK!!!

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Starcraft and Starcraft 2. Blizzard singlehandedly killed the RTS genre with shitcraft by subverting it into becoming RTT gookclickers. To this day it has never recovered as a result.

play more rts games. i'm betting you twenty dollars you've never touched homeworld or sudden strike

Kaethar

Educated
name one good game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom