Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline You're a cunt if you worship these games Top 40

Which Games Should never be near a "Top/Greatest Game" list?

• Mass Effect 2

Votes: 32 32.0%
  • Skyrim

Votes: 45 45.0%
  • Witcher 3

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • Bioshock

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • GTA 5

Votes: 22 22.0%
  • Minecraft

Votes: 20 20.0%
  • LA Noire

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Red Dead Redemption 1

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Uncharted 2

Votes: 34 34.0%
  • Secret Of Mana

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • Seiken Deketsu 3

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Ocarina of Time

• Pokemon

Votes: 22 22.0%
  • Tetris

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Fire Emblem

• Chrono Trigger

• Fallout 4

Votes: 56 56.0%
  • Fallout NV

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Metal Gear Solid 3

• Last of Us

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • Horizon Zero Dawn

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • Boarderlands 2

Votes: 33 33.0%
  • Batman Arkham City

Votes: 18 18.0%
  • Assasins Creed

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • Far Cry 3

• Total War

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undertale

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • World of Warcraft

• Disco Elysium

• Donkey King Kong Komrade Country 2 and 3

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • Call of Duty 4

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • Nier Automata

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Half-Life 1

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Half Life 2

• Gauntlet

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Civilization 2/ Civilization 4

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Castlevania/ Castlevania 3/ Castlevania: Bloodlines/ Meteroidvanias

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Gain Ground

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Street Fighter 2/ Championship Edition

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
"People" that think The Witcher 3 is a good RPG ought to be lined up and shot. What a dull, uninteresting and painfully mediocre pile of rubbish. Only reason it gets praised so much is because of the pretty graphics and due to how piss easy it is even on the highest difficulty. Witcher 3 just goes to show how fucking retarded normalfags are.

Ash

Arcane
This list is very solid, so much so I'm going to let slide the inclusion of a few genuinely good games in there, e.g Metroidvanias. Placing genuinely good, well designed, uncompromising de facto games in there alongside soulless trash, games that have no place being labelled as games (e.g storyfag shit) or insanely overrated one trick pony gimmick games is not how this thread should be.

Bravo otherwise Falksi, even though your tastes are sometimes trash. I saw you drooling over Tomb Raider 2013 in another thread. That game is basically a slightly less shit Uncharted. It's shit popamole for retards and you disappoint me. Cunt.

Last edited:

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Rather than specific games I'd prefer to vote against entire classes of games.

1/ the entirety of open world genre. Some make for decent popcorn/timewasting but they're not legitimately good games presenting interesting challenges or puzzles.
2/ moba
3/ corridor shooters
4/ hitscan-only enemy&player weapon set solo focused shooters (often, but not always, goes in pair with 3/)
5/ instance based MMORPGs
6/ click simulators aka diablo likes
7/ action games that are really a series of QTE rather than focused on proper spacing and reaction times
8/ JRPGs based on the template of : Final Fantasy or/and Tales of
9/ walking simulators and video games that wouldn't be considered a "game" in general if they were real world games instead of computer games (ie can you think of a real world analog to your digital game? If the answer is yes, then it's a video game. If not, then it shouldn't even be called a video game. Reading books isn't a form of real world gaming, Discofags fans. Playing sports, paintball, strategy board games, P&P, puzzle solving, all these things are real world games, and hence, anything comparable on a computer is a video game. Picking lines in a dialogue tree isn't video gaming and neither is watching a movie)

Anything that fits this list doesn't belong anywhere a top 500 games, much less a top 40.

Lemming42

Arcane
9/ walking simulators and video games that wouldn't be considered a "game" in general if they were real world games instead of computer games (ie can you think of a real world analog to your digital game? If the answer is yes, then it's a video game. If not, then it shouldn't even be called a video game.

What's the real-life equivalent of Doom? Taking a gun to work?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Thread is shit and OP is a fag for liking Fallout 3. So naturally everything else he says is shit even though I agree with some of it.

What a fucking dilemma....

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Blaming HL1 not for quality but cause it changed the focus in shooters is pretty unfair. HL1 did something different(wasn't the first as Dark Forces mixed shooting and puzzles and interactivity in FPS long before), and it's not Valve's fault that others had no imagination and aped it. There was room for run and gun even then. What really killed the traditional Doom like FPS was actually the release of Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament. Those replaced the Doom types of shooters and the HL types kept going as they couldn't be copied in a multiplayer format in the same way.

Lemming42

Arcane
I'm starting to wonder if Half-Life's influence is often overstated. No doubt it was seismically influential and no doubt many of its key design philosophies leaked out into the rest of the genre, but there really aren't that many direct Half-Life clones in the way that there were Doom clones and Wolfenstein 3D clones in the pre-HL days.

Half-Life's key legacy was to raise people's expectations for "immersive" stories in FPS games. Its actual approach to design - basically lots of rooms, each involving a puzzle, platforming or combat activity, usually with some kind of cool and memorable gimmick - never really got replicated in many other FPS games. The closest thing to a Half-Life clone I can immediately think of is Red Faction, and that tried pretty hard to make itself unique from Half-Life.

Call of Duty is the game that really sent the FPS genre off a cliff, in my opinion. And Call of Duty was only really retreading the ground that Medal of Honor had already walked.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Hall of shame: Skyrim, Fallout 3-4, Fallout 76, Pillars of Eternity 1-2, Torment: ToN, Tyranny, ME: Andromeda, DA: Inquisition, all EEs, Outer Worlds

Soon to be inducted: Bloodlines 2

Falksi

Arcane
I enjoyed half life 1 to a certain degreen. I thought the combat was bit crap tbh, but it had it's moments.

I fucking hated 2 though, it felt like a none stop battle against game physics, both with puzzles and cheap tack dross like the hovercraft sections.

That said I've only played both of them to completion once each, so my opinion won't be as well rounded as those who have played them numerous times.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I liked the first half hour with all the really well done cinematic mayhem, then I was seriously let down when it was just another corridor shooter and they pretended like you were going to be able to control other units only not really because it was half baked. I had more fun around that time in the various star wars shooters like Jedi Knight or whatever they were called. Little old Duke3d basically shits all over every other actiony shooter and that's sad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom