Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Ys series

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
napithism done. well. that was kinda disappointing actually, the final dungeon is really tiny, the bosses are just too straight up, arent designed was well as origins or felghana. i mean outside of gimmicky puzzley bosses, origins and felghana got cool straight up duels too. in napithism i feel like they don't think the movesets too well, you can just run around and deal damange indefinitely with magics. especially if you fully upgrade your swords, the magic charge every 30 seconds at most. the blue sword is less than 10 seconds i think.

but yeah, it really shows how their design progress improves over time from napithism > felghana > origins. from the movement, skillsets, enemy design, dungeon design to boss design pretty much napithism is inferior even i feel the soundtrack is weak compared to other falcom games.
not their strongest entry, but it wasn't a bad game. just pale in comparison to other games they made after and improve upon the formula. might be biased because i am an idiot and play origins > felghana > napithism, i didn't even realize i was playing the games in reverse of their release, so that's why i feel like each game regressed from the previous one i said. not until a friend pointed to me and i checked the wiki and i realize i got the order wrong lmao.

Agree, on the other hand, you appreciate the other two either way, just so you can understand how good they got.

But this one just came to my mind: we do know, that we will save the world, but I'm curious on which scale it will happen. Because most Ys-Games are kind of low-scale and you could swap "World" with "Region we live in." But they tried something new with Seven and VIII, so the question is if we go back to the low-level worldsaving with killing a weapon of mass destruction/guy, who is on magical steroids or if they scale it a bit up so that we, dunno, kill Cthulhu or another dimension eater? Personally, I think that it will get back to low-scale worldsaving, probably with a member of the Clan of Darkness as the mad scientist at the end, which I would prefer ( that makes VIII and Seven so special, because they are the exception not the rule).

Also: Chinese developers did a remake of Seven and those portraits look so good! I want this version!

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVrnSq_ygto

Last edited:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
1556309809852.png

:kingcomrade:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
So I decided to give Ys8 a try since it seemed to have pretty good reviews aside from the crashing and surely that's fixed by now right? Wrong. As soon as I got to the island it crashed twice in the first 5 minutes and then again at the first boss. Jesus christ how does a project that large get handled so incompetently?

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
So I decided to give Ys8 a try since it seemed to have pretty good reviews aside from the crashing and surely that's fixed by now right? Wrong. As soon as I got to the island it crashed twice in the first 5 minutes and then again at the first boss. Jesus christ how does a project that large get handled so incompetently?
are u using win 7 or 10?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Win 7 with an nvidia card. Yeah I saw the 30 forum posts about that after I had the second crash. What a fucking joke.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been playing ys 7 the last few days.

You know, after playing 4 games, i really like the worldbuilding so far. Nothing is as crazy detailed as kiseki, but everything makes sense. Since the world is kinda a mirror of our own, it is pretty cool to see this kind of fantasy twist. As for the overall lore, there are alot of connections here and there, that each locations have their distinct cultures, territory, and how the winged people influence affect their world.

Ys is rarely praised for its story, and while it is true kiseki overshadowed ys, there is alot of history to connect here and there. I really like it.

Jinn

Arcane
So I've started a bit of a long-term Ys series timeline/chronological run, with some replays and a fair amount of brand-new titles for me. I finished up a replay of Ys II Chronicles+ this past week, and since Memories of Celceta is the next in the timeline and is on sale, I thought I'd go ahead and grab it right away. This is my first nu-Ys game, so I was a little apprehensive, but mostly interested to see how they handled it.

Playing it on Hard, and I have to say, I'm having a really great time with it. I feel that it keeps the spirit of the older games in the series alive, while adding on some really nice additions to mix things up. I actually really like switching between party members to suit certain battle situations, and the skill system is simple yet fun to use. Battle flows nicely, flash parries and dodges are pretty fun mechanics, and I've already met with some fairly challenging encounters early on. I also find the whole setup of Adol essentially being a voyager mapping out this massive, dangerous forest to be very appealing, particularly when he is also unearthing memories of his life we haven't necessarily gotten to see before. The camera angle they went with is a little strange, but it's actually starting to grow on me (and remind me a bit of Origin when I think about it). Graphics are pretty dated, but still enjoyable enough to look at. UI is....unfortunate. Why does XSeed/Falcom seem to have such a hard time translating their low-res UI's to high-res PC ports? Just seems lazy. Everything is overly big and some of the icons are blurry. Also, text boxes fill half the screen and the font is terrible. But so far, those are the few complaints I have.

Anyway, just wanted to mention that Memories of Celceta has been a fantastic introduction to the new era of Ys games for me, and has got me looking forward to Seven, VIII, and the eventual western release of IX. Now if Falcom would pull their head out their asshole and get XSEED working on their localisations again, I could be fully optimistic for their future as one of my favorite studios. A bit of a tragedy Cold Steel III and IV and Ys VIII and IX isn't in their hands.

I'm a little surprised how little I've seen Celceta mentioned in this thread (unless I somehow missed it along the way). I know a lot of people around here aren't the biggest fans of the direction the new Ys games are taking, but it seems like a fairly positive evolution to me. Am I alone in that thinking?

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Ys 7 is my first 3D Ys (and i already have celceta but i save it for later) and i can safely say ys 7 is a a step in the right direction. everything is an improvement to the old formula. attack types, different weaknesses and each character with different attack type, moveset, speed and skills. the equipment system are more robust and feel more like classic JRPG (the 2.5D ys feels like more of a metroidvania with levelling, which in origins they perfected the system, but in Ys7 we are back to rough start of napithism, but with alot better core mechanics). i heard celceta and lacrimosa of dana improve seven's formula like oath of felghana and Origins did to ark of napithism's gameplay.

not only gameplay that i feel improved, the story is better in 7 too. the characters are alot multi faceted, alot of NPC dialogue ala trails where everyone have their own opinion (the 3 2.5D ys games have this to some extent, but ys 7 is almost kiseki style NPC) and reasonable amount of exposition.

Jinn

Arcane
Having played a bit more Celceta, read a few other opinions on it, and compared those opinions to those on Seven, I can see why it's seen as the weakest of the 3D Ys. However, I'm still having a lot of fun with it and it just kind of makes me even more excited to one day get to Seven and VIII. The combat, exploration, dungeons, chronological value, and Adol lore is enough to keep me satisfied. I can just tell now that it seems like a little bit of a rush job in general. Falcom must have been a bit strapped on time and resources during the development. Still seems like a nice introduction to the 3D Ys games overall.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Hey HoboForEternity, I noticed you said you grabbed Ys 8 in the Yakuza thread. I kind of ignored it when it was released because of all the reports of NIS America dropping the ball on the localization. Have you started it yet? If so, how are you liking it both in terms of the localization and gameplay-wise. Also, how is the port in general? After playing most of the way through Celceta (which has been a lot of fun) and then checking some gameplay footage Ys 8, it's made me very excited to get to it in the near future.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Not yet. I havent played celceta. But what i heard is they have fixed the translation and re record the voices.

The port is still kinda shoddy though last i heard

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Not yet. I havent even played celceta. But what i heard is they have fixed the translation and re record the voices.

The port is still kinda shoddy though last i heard. It would sometime crash, but the report was inconsistent. Some people play it just fine, others report crashes and shit

Jinn

Arcane
Not yet. I havent played celceta. But what i heard is they have fixed the translation and re record the voices.

The port is still kinda shoddy though last i heard

Ah, I see. So you think you're going to play Celceta, then move onto Ys 8 sometime after that? Or planning another Ys game in between? As of right now, once I finish up Celceta I'll be playing Felghana, then moving on to Ys 8 after that, as that appears to be the chronological order. I'm very excited to play both Felghana and Ys 8.

Jinn

Arcane
Just finished up Celceta tonight. I think I'll return to my initial opinion of it from this post a few above. If this is considered the worst of the 3D Ys games, then it seems I have a lot to look forward to. Again, it seemed like the perfect introduction to 3D Ys, kept the spirit of the earlier games alive, and was just a really fun adventure throughout. It also has some pretty great lore implications for the Ys series, and it was fun learning about Adol's childhood a bit. Duren's a true bro too. There's definitely a couple characters from this I'd love to see cameo in future games, but I kind of doubt that'll happen unfortunately.

Overall, if people have been avoiding this one, I'd highly recommend giving it a try. Very solid experience.

Last edited:

Ysaye

Arbiter
Just finished up Celceta tonight. I think I'll return to my initial opinion of it from this post a few above. If this is considered the worst of the 3D Ys games, then it seems I have a lot to look forward to. Again, it seemed like the perfect introduction to 3D Ys, kept the spirit of the earlier games alive, and was just a really fun adventure throughout. It also has some pretty great lore implications for the Ys series, and it was fun learning about Adol's childhood a bit. Duren's a true bro too. There's definitely a couple characters from this I'd love to see cameo in future games, but I kind of doubt that'll happen unfortunately.

Overall, if people have been avoiding this one, I'd highly recommend giving it a try. Very solid experience.

I can think of one minor character that also makes a cameo appearance in Ys 8.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Finally finished ys of celceta. i still like 7 better tbh. celceta's gameplay is more fluid, but i find the dungeons too short and bosses too easy (on normal). most bosses you can rush trough spamming skills and attack button, with the occasional guard. guarding is really OP and alot easier to pull than flash dodge. the music is as usual it is amazing, and the story is decent.

now time for Ys VIII the supposed masterpiece of the series.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Jinn
i have played around 28 hours of ys 8, and maybe around 40% of the game. the game is big.
as for your worries and questions some pages ago, i will try to answer it.

PC Port: it runs great. 1440p and never dip even slightly. hell, it run better than celceta (but celceta have MSAA that drain resources) but i have a GTX 1080, so that might brute force the game, but no indication of any performance or bugs. the game does crash once, but just that one for whatever reason. the game auto save every time you transition to other area or you touch the teleport stones, so it should not be a problem.

gameplay: simply amazing. i feel like celceta is too unbalanced. the bosses don't feel unique compared to ys 7 or the older ys games even. celceta is still a good game, but it is kinda rough imo. in ys8, everything fits together perfectly, other party members are fun to use, enemy that is weak to certain attack type is spread around evenly and lots of enemy variety. playing on hard is definitely fun. not too easy that you can mash buttons and tanks attack, but nothing crazy like in nightmare. it just perfect for me.

story: the best in the series so far. the characters, writing, pacing are trails level. i mean yeah, the story starts slow like trails, but it let you immerse yourselves fully. most ys games especially 2.5 ones are super fast paced, it ends by the time you got the feeling of the world. the 3D ones start to slow things a bit, with cutscenes and more dialogues, and it culminated in ys 8 imo. every NPC is endearing, likeable (or intentionally unlikeable for the bad guys) and like trails game they are all different people, with different backgrounds, motivations, story, et cetera. as for the translation, the fixed version is actually on par with xseed's level. the old version is really bad from what i have seen, but it is currently great from what i have played, voice acting is solid, and the main characters really amazingly acted, especially dana

music is amazing, my favorite so far along with felghana. so many memorable tracks and the 2D art is falcom's best so far. i really like the artstyle, from character portraits to artworks like the title screen:

maxresdefault.jpg

and the music in the title screen is probably one of my favorite in all videogames title screen.

the game is absolute masterpiece. the release in the west was bumpy but i think NISA did admirable job of fixing it.

Jinn

Arcane
i have played around 28 hours of ys 8, and maybe around 40% of the game. the game is big.
as for your worries and questions some pages ago, i will try to answer it.

Thanks for the post, brother. Sounds amazing and I can't wait to get to it. Will probably be playing through Felghana and grabbing 8 before the end of the year sometime. Seems this bodes well for IX too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom