Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Zoria: Age of Shattering is an upcoming turn-based tactical RPG with XCOM-inspired base management

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Tiny Trinket Games; Zoria: Age of Shattering

Zoria: Age of Shattering is an upcoming turn-based tactical fantasy RPG from Romanian indie studio Tiny Trinket Games. Those are words that we've heard a lot over the past few years. What sets Zoria apart from other games of that description is an XCOM-inspired base management layer, though it's not procedurally generated or a sandbox. We first spotted the game back in September and today the developers released a free prologue on Steam, so it's time to give it a shoutout. Note however that the prologue doesn't include the aforementioned base management elements. Here's the launch trailer and announcement post:

Zoria: Age of Shattering Prologue is meant to introduce the player to the world of Zoria. The game consists of a series of unique places and events, dungeons, epic fights and classic, party-based RPG adventure.

While Zoria: Age of Shattering will be about balancing management of your followers and Outpost with adventuring out into the world, the Prologue is all about exploration, adventure and the stories and events that lead to the player taking control of the Outpost.

What you will find in this Prologue:

Story and Quests – the story follows the events that lead to the main character taking charge of the Outpost, the formation of his first party of followers and the stories he encounters along the way, stories that, together, paint a picture of the world and its inhabitants.

Survival system - resource management and, yes … hunger. Making camp and resting will restore health, vital resources and even cleanse a few negative effects. But resting is only available if the party has the necessary supplies. So, keep an eye for items around you that could provide supplies.

Tactical, turn-based combat. Most of the encounters should be easily managed by the player but there are a few that require a little more care and wise management of the available abilities. The combat itself is a mix of old and new, as it is turn-based but not grid-based, and not overly complex, allowing for a greater freedom of movement and gameplay speed.

Abilities and gear management – each follower class has its own abilities to choose from, abilities that get unlocked when a follower reaches certain levels. So different players have the choice of abilities to match their playstyle, for each class. Gear is acquired from combat, exploration and doing certain quests.

Environment-specific abilities: in Zoria, some places are only accessible by using some of your follower’s abilities and each class has a different environment-specific ability. Depending on the party, some areas may not be accessible and only returning with a different setup can insure all areas are explored.

With all this said, there are still a lot of things left out for the future.​

We're seeing more and more of these sorts of prologues on Steam these days because Valve's algorithms give them more visibility than proper demos. The full version of Zoria has its own Steam page. The game is supposed to be coming out sometime this fall.

I guess The Codex has to dump on everything reflexively. It's a medieval fantasy XCOM, which is to say a a top down, turn-based, party-centric, dungeon crawler. This is about as old school as you can get. Let's see what they can deliver.

jac8awol

Arbiter
It's that ugly ugly tryhard 3d. What is this, 1994? Give me 2d isometric with decent art, put all the rest of your resources into systems and world-building. I feel sorry for these guys, they've obviously put a lot of time into something that looks cheap and nasty.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's nice to see people trying to do something, but somehow I find pretty much everything about this quite offputting. What's up with this trend of using every colour in the rainbow in the gfx? Also, it's super saturated. I find it quite garish and lacking in style.

As a rule of thumb, if the devs can't me get excited even just a little bit with the trailer, then I have serious doubts about the final product... Just watched the Underrail trailer the other day, and while you can see it was done on a budget, man it got me really looking forward to play the game. What a difference!

flushfire

Augur
It looks outdated, so what? Except that dock scene it isn't as ugly as NWN1 at least. ATOM RPG looks like a 2007 game too but turned out good anyway. At least it's not one of those tryhard old school pixel art roguelite shit that's everywhere these days. WTF is this shameful display codex?

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
It looks outdated, so what? Except that dock scene it isn't as ugly as NWN1 at least. ATOM RPG looks like a 2007 game too but turned out good anyway. At least it's not one of those tryhard old school pixel art roguelite shit that's everywhere these days. WTF is this shameful display codex?
It was an observation

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
... observant is not a rating, but.

age obviously is over present, shattering not so much?
I was doing some stats on rpg titles and other weird stuff around here. I dont recall shattering or even sundering and cataclysm. Thinking about it titles are not that much into events, more about people, places or mcguffins.

More a fantasy trope than an "RPG title" trope.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

It's not that it's ugly, it's that it looks absolutely indistinctive. The only shameful display here is that poorly made trailer. Just look at that font for God's sake.

flushfire

Augur
I guess that's the difference, I'm fine with indistinctive, especially if its the graphics. Better than something like Queen's Wish or NWN1, which are distinctively ugly. Nothing to get panties in a bunch over.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
That's the biggest problem, isn't it?

Not entirely sure what started this craze, but there are so many similar games by now, this is a tough sell. Would be even it looked amazing...

Yeah, the game has one gimmick to set it apart what's currently released and it's not advertised very well. Infinitron did a good job advertising the game by hyping it up as X-Com meets classic RPGs, but then you go to the Steam page watch the trailer, half of which is a generic story intro, and then read things like that:
Zoria. Home. Mother of all her inhabitants. She provides her children with food to grow, shelter to rest in and also, the harsh lessons of life, so her offspring may learn to fight and protect her gifts to them.
But men, men wanted more.
Zoria’s finest sons and daughters: intelligent, resourceful… violent. Men turned her ores into sword and daggers, and her roots into vile concoctions of poison.
Men wanted more. They craved more land and more food. So they built their homes of stone and wood, driving out the wildlife of its woods and caves. And in those caves they found their instrument of defiance: zerrium.
I've still added it to my wishlist since it looks decent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom