Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I may just have found the best game ever

dragonfk said:
I had very loyal goblin guards and nothing was removed from my inventory. So I think that success depends on how loyal are your subjects.
Their performance seems to be tied to Finesse, and I've alternated a bit too much on the Brutality/Finesse scale to develop either to a respectable height.

Atomic

Augur
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
You finished with the following stats:

23% Brutality vs. 77% Finesse

40% Cunning vs. 60% Honor

37% Disdain vs. 63% Vigilance

Infamy: 66%

Wealth: 17550 gold coins

Wounds: 4

Blasphemy: 1

I tried to impress my mate by playing a game of chess (!?). I failed miserably :(

.Sigurd

Educated
You have the following stats:

14% Brutality vs. 86% Finesse

43% Cunning vs. 57% Honor

60% Disdain vs. 40% Vigilance

Infamy: 43%

Wealth: 16000 gold coins

Wounds: 2

Blasphemy: 2

oscar

Arcane
Good but..

We discussed the treatment of gender extensively as we were planning our first game. I self-identify as a feminist, and I’ve worked to promote equality for the LGBT community in my non-gaming professional life. So I started off with a firm commitment to the idea that our games had to be good on gender issues.

Many video games assume a male protagonist, and I actively wanted to avoid that presumption. At the same time, our games require a certain amount of identification between the player and the character. A game that’s written in the second person runs into problems if the player can’t accept that “you” means both the character and the player.

Once we settled on a dragon as the protagonist of our first game, “Choice of the Dragon,” many of the gender issues became easy. No need at all for us to assign a sex to the player’s dragon—it’s perfectly easy to ask the player what their dragon’s sex is. Likewise, even the mating scene could be done in a purely gender-neutral way. Players who wanted to play a straight male dragon could. Players who wanted to play a female dragon seeking a female mate could. And people who wanted to leave that whole issue vague could as well.

The next step was simply being conscious about the genders we assigned to the various other characters that the player meets. We (or at least I, without objection from the rest of the team) wanted to make sure that we didn’t apply patriarchal assumptions about the gender of a knight or a wizard. We did end up switching around the genders of the dragon’s clutchmate and the evil wizard, but that was just because Dan thought that Axilmeus was more of a male dragon’s name.

The biggest sticking point was really the most iconic. Dan was committed to the idea that dragons kidnap princesses. From his perspective, that was a necessary trope in the fire-breathing dragon genre. I was equally committed to the idea that kidnapping princesses but not princes conveys a message of dependence and incompetence about women that was not acceptable. We ended up deciding to directly confront the player with it with a choice, which we thought was sufficiently amusing it made it into our screenshots for promoting the mobile versions. Working on balancing the issues between using tropes and avoiding the long and ugly history of patriarchy in fantasy ended up producing fun gameplay.

Handling gender in our next game, where the protagonist is human, is a much more complicated issue. But that’s for another post…

:?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
That's a fair bit of PC furfaggotry but at least it doesn't really show in the game. The question at the start if it is sexist to always kidnap princess was handled well. As long as they keep the preach on their blog and not in their game, it's fine.

Gragt said:
That's a fair bit of PC furfaggotry but at least it doesn't really show in the game. The question at the start if it is sexist to always kidnap princess was handled well. As long as they keep the preach on their blog and not in their game, it's fine.

In other words, a Spiderweb 'STFU and make the damn games, Vogel' scenario.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

31% Brutality vs. 69% Finesse

91% Cunning vs. 9% Honor

71% Disdain vs. 29% Vigilance

Infamy: 77%

Wealth: 19900 gold coins

Wounds: 1

Multi-headed Cow

This game is pretty cool. I'd like more games like this. It would also be nice if we got RPGs as good as this.

sheek

Arbiter
Multi-headed Cow said:
This game is pretty cool. I'd like more games like this. It would also be nice if we got RPGs as good as this.
Quite a bit easier to make than an RPG game.

Nedrah

Erudite
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Are there any games like this one, but with rape?

As I said, apparently they are giving away the scripting language for free. All things considered, a text-adventure about being raped by multiheaded dicks should be the one thing the codex could successfully pull off at this point.

Also, I'm really rather drunk. God bless metal bars that have "1€ for everything" nights. Too bad even that got boring rather fast. I'm apparently jaded beyond believe.

Gragt said:
I can't believe she did all that coding while never leaving the kitchen. Amazing!

Murk

Arcane
wow, this is a FANTASTIC time killer at work.

Great find, Nedrah. Really enjoying the detailed approach to being a vicious overlord.

love this line here: You lean in closely to read their tiny human maps, nearly killing several squires.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Min/maxing your stats has problems too. I was denied a beneficial choice at one event because my disdain was so low I couldn't resist. (Having massive disdain previously made that event not even show up for me.)

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron

58% Brutality vs. 42% Finesse

48% Cunning vs. 52% Honor

60% Disdain vs. 40% Vigilance

Infamy: 66%

Wealth: 13750 gold coins

Wounds: 3

A great game! I enjoyed it a lot more since I recently finished reading The Hobbit.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron

4% Brutality vs. 96% Finesse

55% Cunning vs. 45% Honor

89% Disdain vs. 11% Vigilance

Infamy: 71%

Wealth: 24300 gold coins

Wounds: 0

Edit: just got

6% Brutality vs. 94% Finesse

58% Cunning vs. 42% Honor

85% Disdain vs. 15% Vigilance

Infamy: 71%

Wealth: 24650 gold coins

But that's without finding a mate, because it seems that you always get robbed a little bit if you search for one. I still consider getting one some kind of success even if it doesn't have much impact.

Re-edit:

8% Brutality vs. 92% Finesse

56% Cunning vs. 44% Honor

71% Disdain vs. 29% Vigilance

Infamy: 73%

Wealth: 24800 gold coins

Changed a few things, and that's also with finding a mate.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
My very first dragon:

7% Brutality vs. 93% Finesse

90% Cunning vs. 10% Honor

87% Disdain vs. 13% Vigilance

Infamy: 58%

Wealth: 19500 gold coins

Avu

Liturgist
You don't get robbed when your brutality is extremely high problem is you usually kill people before they can make you money to gain that brutality so crappy gold.

95% Brutality vs. 5% Finesse

51% Cunning vs. 49% Honor

7% Disdain vs. 93% Vigilance

Infamy: 88%

Wealth: 11750 gold coins

Murk

Arcane
In my two plays of the game I didn't really find much reason to hoard up gold -- I guess this is ultimately the main system of scoring with blasphemy/wounds coming in second (or something), but it just didn't seem like a necessary thing. I was having more fun playing evil overlord.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Yeah of course, it is fun by itself but it is also fun to see how you could try to maximise your profit while limiting the bad things.

Also e-peen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom