Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

'Mature' RPGs

DriacKin

Arbiter
PorkaMorka said:
DriacKin said:
Every single game ever made primarily targets teenagers or younger.

Your statement is obviously false. There are many games (even commercial games) that target an audience much older than teens.
7160pw.jpg

I'm willing to guarantee you that far more teenagers have played this game than 20+ year olds.

kris

Arcane
DriacKin said:
I'm willing to guarantee you that far more teenagers have played this game than 20+ year olds.

I'd bet against that. Considering player demographics for gaming in general shows that the majority is over 20 I am sure that a game that don't appeal to younger people will have an demographic with very few under 20.

sheek

Arbiter
PorkaMorka said:
DriacKin said:
Every single game ever made primarily targets teenagers or younger.

Your statement is obviously false. There are many games (even commercial games) that target an audience much older than teens.
7160pw.jpg
how many people do you reckon start playing wargames as mature adults?

Anyway we are talking about RPGs

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Perhaps some of you are not familiar with "wargaming", that would be my only explanation for the idea that you believe it's not marketed primarily at adults.

It's called wargaming, so it must be games about war right? Teens like war! Not exactly. Computer "wargaming" (or some highly significant subgenres of it anyway) is/are more about simulating the old hex and counter wargames which were played on cardboard maps on a table in your basement, than about simulating war.

For reference: here are some age numbers re: age of people playing hex and counter type wargames (not computer wargames) and mind you this was in 1997 before x-box started stealing the youngsters away from that hobby.

Notice how old they are when they start.

http://www.nasamw.org/Spearpoint_12.6_July_1997.pdf
Page 6:
23mls1d.jpg

Now, if you were going to make a computer game to simulate the old hex and counter playstyle of gaming, and you knew that sort of hobby was primarily enjoyed by older adults, wouldn't it be likely that your computer game would indeed be targeted at those same adults?

You have to understand, these are games that strive to be as dry and complex as the old counter and hex wargames, mostly just using the computer to run the game mechanics, to save players from having to look up results on huge combat resolution tables and stuff.

The graphics will literally look like cardboard counters; almost the only concession to the computer format will be couple sound effects.

You guys greatly overestimate how interested teens are in checking if their
2150ub4.jpg
has valid supply lines or not... every turn.
Luzur said:
hey, what game is that, i recognize it somehow.
SSI?

Korsun pocket

by SSG

Norfleet

I honestly have no idea why people bother to market anything at 12 year olds. Do they even have MONEY to buy anything with? I doubt this. Most 12s don't have money and will pirate everything anyway, so why bother making anything marketed at them at all? They should be marketing things at people who have money and don't have time to spend digging around on torrent sites.

spectre

Arcane
Valid observation, twentysomethings are more reliable this way, but don't forget the combined power of allowance and: But Maaaaa, I want...!

Also, notice how the critical point in marketing seems to be christmas, this is when 12-yo get as close to having any sort of buying power as ever.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I liked classical boardgame-style wargames on C=64 when I was 10.

Me too (Well, Apple IIe), but that probably just means we were weird kids.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
It probably just means that we actually had contact with such games as kids, when we didn't really know what games we like before actually playing them and didn't reject them because the genre is "outdated".

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Its no different than the kids that play strategy games on the DS today. It just seems like it is because the graphics looked so plain.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
I was thinking more along the lines of Advanced Wars, Fire Emblem, End War, and Worms. I know that those games cant be as deep as the stuff from the war games era on the PC. My point was that its the same breed of kid.

Kaanyrvhok said:
I was thinking more along the lines of Advanced Wars, Fire Emblem, End War, and Worms.

I know.
That's the answer I was expecting.
Because none of these games is a strategy game you monumental fucktard.
They're tactical games at best, and at worst simple grindfests.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Havent played it but End War looks like the typical strategy game
EndWar_DS_screen_51.jpg

Have played Emblem and Advanced Wars and they are as strategic as most of todays RTS's, they just have that Nintendo sheen of simplicity. It takes a while to see the depth but its there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom