Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A couple of questions about the RPGmaker application.

Martin

Educated
I am considering using this app to toy around with some of my rpg ideas ( mostly story and characters).
I am unsure regarding what version to use. I assume some users here in the codex at least messed with it for a good while, which I havent done yet so I would like to ask a couple of questions:

1) I read its possible to use your own low resolution images as for example character sprites in RPGmaker, however is this really feasible? Can I make a simple very low detail non-anime style sprite without having problems with animation or some problem with integration because of the sprite dimensions ( e.g: properly sized heads)?

I am asking this because I can live with the rpgmaker limitations that I read about as long as the app itself is as easy to use as its advertised, but I simply cant stand the idea of making a simple amateurish rpg or rpg prototype according to my notes using those anime style sprites and those bright colored tiles and then showing my efforts to someone else.

If I were to begin using the application naturally I will try to get familiar with it first, building the gameworld and setting up the events and only worrying about replacing art later if I wanted to release the "game", I dont have a serious project or a fully defined vision for the game, I just want to fool around with the app, but I would really like to know how easy and reliable replacing the anime style tiles and sprites actually is just in case I find the time to make something somewhat solid.

2) How flexible is RPGmaker regarding setting up characters statistics and their properties? What are the limitations of the battle system interface panels across all versions?

3) Which is the best RPGmaker version overall in terms of features?

I would appreciate if anyone around here could answer these questions or give me some general advice.

Chaud

Novice
shihonage said:
As I understand it's JRPGMaker.

Well... This.

But to give an more complete answer:

Martin said:
1) I read its possible to use your own low resolution images as for example character sprites in RPGmaker, however is this really feasible? Can I make a simple very low detail non-anime style sprite without having problems with animation or some problem with integration because of the sprite dimensions?

You can. The latest version of RPGMaker (if I remember correctly, it's the VX, or something) lets you set a suitable size for the sprites, provided they are multiples of 16x16 pixels. More details about this you find in an Internet search.

Martin said:
2) How flexible is RPGmaker regarding setting up characters statistics and their properties? What are the limitations of the battle system interface panels across all versions?

Well .. As already mentioned, it is a "JRPG maker". You have only 5 or 6 basic attributes that will be used in that old battle system that can be found in games like Final Fantasy. This isn't something very inspiring.

The latest versions offer, however, several tools to modify the battle system. Since RPGMaker XP (the last I had the stupid idea of trying to use) it supports programming in Ruby language. It is, therefore, possible to create systems of turn-based combat that work similarly to Fallout - but based on squares instead of hexagons, which is a limitation of the engine.

The question: is it worth the effort? I could find on the Internet some good examples of systems made in RPGMaker, but didn't find any complete game that uses one. The work to make these changes seem to be so large that it would be more practical to use other tools, or learn a proper programming language.

Martin said:
3) Which is the best RPGmaker version overall in terms of features

I would say that it's RPGMaker VX. Probably. As I understand, he has all the features of XP, and then some more. But if you want to create low-resolution sprites, you will need to use the 2000 or 2003 (320x240); since the most recent ones uses a higher resolution (800x600).

Martin

Educated
Thanks for your reply Chaud.

I am considering RPG maker because it doesnt require any knowledge of scripting to enjoy its basic functions. Of course I cant help being curious about what customs systems can be implemented but since I want to try to build and develop the characters, factions and storyline aspect mostly I think RPGmaker is my best bet.

Assuming I can set up text-box events with at least a couple of choices ( they dont need to be full text responses, just choices) and have some way to implement consequences for the choices with the builder with "triggers" or something.

But you are right I should join a decent rpg maker forum and do some proper research.

With time and dedication I suppose I could learn some basic scripting but I dont think if it would be worth the effort.

I am not aiming for a complex game at all, at least in terms of combat and character development, statistics, rules running in the background etc.

At this point I just wanted to try out developing the story, characters setting etc using very very simple art ( the character images can be stick figures for all I care, as long as they dont look like the default RPG maker crap) and using a world builder that allows me simple and easy control when placing tiles, characters, writing a good deal of text and connecting it the characters and some simple events etc.

Seems the RPG maker ( my hatred for the default art assets aside) is my best bet for what I want without need to learn a scripting language.

Since I am mostly concerned with text in general I even considering toying around with an interactive fiction creator like INFORM 7, but that probably has a much higher learning curve than RPG maker, especially if you want to introduce some minor RPG features. RPG maker at least ( I assume) will allow me to have a simple graphical interface with a single character wandering around in a vast map and simple one button interaction with objects and NPC's.
Thats not bad.

The only other creator toolkit that I think might be acessible enough for me is yoyo's gamemaker but from Ive seen its alot more complex than RPGmaker.

sheek

Arbiter
See my thread I created in this forum a week or two ago.

If you want to make a JRPG use RPGMaker, if you want to make an actual RPG probably use DungeonCraft (wait until combat AI is fixed).

There are lots of art resources for it and it's easy to make your own.

Bluegrazz

Novice
RPG MAKER

http://lastplague.aimoo.com/
okay, this game is being made with RPG MAKER VX. I am involved with the project but it shows (so far) that all RPGMAKER Games dont nessasarily have to be JRPG at all.

You will have to make ALL your own graphics because pretty much everyone involved with doing ANYTHING with RPG Maker and anime types. You wont find any semi-realistic graphics (all big eyed cartoony things and bright colored shit)

NOW- Ruby Scripting adds lots of versatility but there are still pretty hardcore limitations which will limit what you can do. I suppose if your REALLY good you could do some pretty amazing stuff-But....

That being said- There is a very easy to use system to make really compelling games (if your creative, think outside the box and work within the limitations)

Battle system- Make your own. The stock system sucks. There are pre made battle systems (even tactical) but personally, avoid them as the AI is really weak.

DO NOT make combat a game focus (since combat kinda sucks no matter what) but rather something in the "background"- You can get it really balanced, add skills, abilities, etc... Truthfully though- Your combat will probably suck.

People have an elitist attitude here towards RPG MAKER games because all that neen made with the engine is utter Jap shit- People on the RPG MAKER Forums have an elitist attitude towards anyone NOT making a story about a "16 year old orphan who lives on the streets until he finds out about his past, groups with a cute Magic user girl, dumb paladin and talking donkey " or some shit.

-Basically your fucked for finding much help anywhere you turn, lol.

Dont ley that dissuade you as your creativity can trump the spftware limitations and I am fairly certain that very compelling games can come from this system- Just hasnt happened yet.

Martin

Educated
sheek said:

If you want to make a JRPG use RPGMaker, if you want to make an actual RPG probably use DungeonCraft (wait until combat AI is fixed).

I have found dungeoncraft before and it does seem easy...but limited. I didnt mess with the editor at all, just tried their contest winner scenario ( never played a gold box rpg before either). I didnt like like the walking through corridors, it seems pointless, I felt that if it only used the damned arrow overview movement with some circles for characters for example it would be simpler and better.. The interface space for the panels is not well divided, the text font should be alot smaller etc.

I dont know if these were problems with the scenario I played but I got the feeling it were limitations of the engine itself.

These are just my impressions of dungeoncraft from playing with a scenario for like 10 minutes, I dont know much about it.

EDIT: A plus to dungeoncraft is that there is ( or will be) a turn based combat engine with movement already in. But everything besides the combat seems clunky, and I dont know if I can implement even a two option dialog choice.

Martin

Educated
Re: RPG MAKER

Bluegrazz said:
okay, this game is being made with RPG MAKER VX. I am involved with the project but it shows (so far) that all RPGMAKER Games dont nessasarily have to be JRPG at all.

You will have to make ALL your own graphics because pretty much everyone involved with doing ANYTHING with RPG Maker and anime types. You wont find any semi-realistic graphics (all big eyed cartoony things and bright colored shit)

NOW- Ruby Scripting adds lots of versatility but there are still pretty hardcore limitations which will limit what you can do. I suppose if your REALLY good you could do some pretty amazing stuff-But....

That being said- There is a very easy to use system to make really compelling games (if your creative, think outside the box and work within the limitations)

Battle system- Make your own. The stock system sucks. There are pre made battle systems (even tactical) but personally, avoid them as the AI is really weak.

DO NOT make combat a game focus (since combat kinda sucks no matter what) but rather something in the "background"- You can get it really balanced, add skills, abilities, etc... Truthfully though- Your combat will probably suck.

People have an elitist attitude here towards RPG MAKER games because all that neen made with the engine is utter Jap shit- People on the RPG MAKER Forums have an elitist attitude towards anyone NOT making a story about a "16 year old orphan who lives on the streets until he finds out about his past, groups with a cute Magic user girl, dumb paladin and talking donkey " or some shit.

-Basically your fucked for finding much help anywhere you turn, lol.

Dont ley that dissuade you as your creativity can trump the spftware limitations and I am fairly certain that very compelling games can come from this system- Just hasnt happened yet.

heh thanks, it seems I had the right notions about the RPGmaker mainstream scene and the application. I realize I would have to replace all the art but like another poster said its replaceable and thats what matters.

I am not too worried about limitations in mechanics at this point.

Your project seems interesting, I bookmarked it.

Martin

Educated
One more question, I stumbled upon an indie RPG game/game editor that now seems to have gone open source "RuneSword 2", does anyone have any experience with it?

sheek

Arbiter
Martin said:
sheek said:

I have found dungeoncraft before and it does seem easy...but limited. I didnt mess with the editor at all, just tried their contest winner scenario ( never played a gold box rpg before either). I didnt like like the walking through corridors, it seems pointless, I felt that if it only used the damned arrow overview movement with some circles for characters for example it would be simpler and better.. The interface space for the panels is not well divided, the text font should be alot smaller etc.

I dont know if these were problems with the scenario I played but I got the feeling it were limitations of the engine itself.

These are just my impressions of dungeoncraft from playing with a scenario for like 10 minutes, I dont know much about it.

EDIT: A plus to dungeoncraft is that there is ( or will be) a turn based combat engine with movement already in. But everything besides the combat seems clunky, and I dont know if I can implement even a two option dialog choice.
You can create 5 option dialog choices, any number of nodes, have them loop back or whatever you want

Probably because the default resolution is to play at 640x480, you are able change that and probably the font size I am sure. What other limitations are there? I thought the simple arrow key movement is one of the engine's big pluses, I never understood why the industry moved away from it.

The best is to download the editor (about 4 megabytes) and play with it, it is simple to set up.

sheek

Arbiter
Another benefit of DC: with the next release according to the developers we'll be able to code our own abilities and skills, which increases it's potential hugely.

bhlaab

Erudite
It is a powerful tool for making jrpgs so long as you're willing to take the time to learn how to exploit the systems.

For western-style rpgs you could piece something together, but I doubt anyone could make anything truly worth playing

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Re: RPG MAKER

Bluegrazz said:

Looks good. So you're basically making something very similar to DoubleBear's Zombie RPG :)

Bluegrazz said:

Not true. Something awesome has already been made with PRGmaker: Barkley, Shut Up and Jam Gaiden.. And it has a decent combat system too (even if a bit jrpg-ish).

Bluegrazz

Novice
Thanks.

No. This is nothing like the ITS Zombie game (although I find myself answering this alot, lol) except that we are both going for a Zombie Outbreak "Survival Sim- ZOSS (new term for the genre)

First, I am a total amateur to PC game making. I made my first sprite/script/graphic about a month ago and my first PC game 3 months ago. I bought RPG Maker to make a game for my nephew for Christmas- Figured I would throw some shit game together, slap his picture in it and be done.

I started playing around with the program and ended up making a damn good kids game that was pretty advanced- BUT I found there were ways to adapt a Pen and Paper/Board game I made a long time ago (and continue to add to to this day)

Essentially you get a random city ever game, random way to escape, random "gangs" and strengths, random reason for the outbreak and a ton of random npcs, story lines, quests... Ton of random shit. =P

When on the city streets the game runs in real time. You run around and zombies walk around (some random, some pre-determined path, some chase you) if a Zombie touches you it "warps" you to turn based combat... Its not twitch based at all, Zombies are slow and pretty easy to avoid.

When you enter a home or other structure the game plays like a Text Game (the closest I could get to having a "game master" run the house) but has pictures. If you happen to be on a story line- Its handled in text form....

So, say you are on the streets and enter a brick home- Immediately it switches over to "turn based" (Outside and out of combat is "real time")- Once you clear the house (all rooms checked) you will gain "Liberation" of that house-
Now, from a central room you will get a new menu (at least thats how it is going at the moment) that will allow you to "Scrap" the house (pull off the inside doors, gather nails, wood, etc.) or "fortify" (use the items you have scrapped to fortify the building)-

Each time you either "scrap" or "fortify" it clicks time forward 15 minutes and adds to the "structure value" of the home- AND every X amount of time (X= unknown) a % chance to attract Zombies (% based on how many Zombies are on the outside map- essentially, very light, light, med, heavy, very heavy) which will chip away at the structure value.... Eventually, Zombies will ALWAYS break the fortifications down unless you are constantly reinforcing.... But...

You cannot ever heal so slowly you will be getting picked apart even if you try to avoid combat and you sustain injuries (sprained ankle, broken arm)-

-
Oh god, its late and my train of thought is quite off.

Simply put- These are different games completely. I am essentially emulating a board game (a complex one- but still) where everything breaks down to "flipping a card" rolling % dice, etc mixed with an adventure game (like Zork) but in a Zombie Outbreak- Throwing as much randomness as possible for replay and hoping I have a compelling game (I am pretty sure I will)

The doublebear game is alot more complex and (from my understanding) not like this at all- Except for the premise.

-But , I cant wait for that game- Have it linked to my forum and hope that any publicity I get for this project helps them as well.... VD is still a dick , lol, but he seems to be the best hope I have of getting some good fucking RPGs - So I suppose I'm stuck with him and if I can funnel a few people who hear about this game to him and his team so they can make some decent games...

I was kinda trying to pimp my game on the down low here at the codex (for a million reasons) but....
:roll:

EDIT: That shut up and jam looks great- Thx, never heard of it. :P :P

Martin

Educated
sheek said:
Martin said:
sheek said:

You can create 5 option dialog choices, any number of nodes, have them loop back or whatever you want

Probably because the default resolution is to play at 640x480, you are able change that and probably the font size I am sure. What other limitations are there? I thought the simple arrow key movement is one of the engine's big pluses, I never understood why the industry moved away from it.

The best is to download the editor (about 4 megabytes) and play with it, it is simple to set up.

OK thanks for the info sheek. Tell me something what are the most serious limitations that you think dungeon craft has at this point or in general? (EDITED: didnt read your second post before.)

Like I said I would prefer to just rely on alot of text if I was to make a dungeon craft scenario, the arrow with overhead area view works but needing to change the facing all the time is annoying. If I had my way I would remove the pseudo 3d view in a scenario I make.

The main problem with this with the NPC's display for encounters and dialog in the overhead view, there are no visual indicators. in the scenario I played the overhead view triggered NPC chat events and others but there was no indicator where the NPC or object was which is kind of awkward. I assume for hostile encounters you see the enemy model in the 3d view mode.

Luzur

Good Sir
there was some guy some years ago who was on coding a SSI "RPG maker" ala Unlimited Adventures but more fleshed out, but i didnt hear anymore from him and now the forum where he was posting is long gone (Wyzards Development Forums).

but Unlimited Adventures was fun to play around in.

Chaud

Novice
Martin said:
I am considering RPG maker because it doesnt require any knowledge of scripting to enjoy its basic functions. Of course I cant help being curious about what customs systems can be implemented but since I want to try to build and develop the characters, factions and storyline aspect mostly I think RPGmaker is my best bet.

Well, actually the RPGMaker system is easy to use.

In addition to its own programming, in Ruby, it works with a system of "events". An event is, basically, any object that performs a function within the game. It can be an NPC with whom you can interact (chat), an animation; anything really. This is the most basic idea of "programming" in RPGMaker, and the event system is actually quite simple. I would say that there are three basic types of event:

1) Global Events. These events are made in a separate database, and you can activate them when needed. (Usually called by other events, keypress...)

2) Triggered Events. These events are positioned on the map in wich they'll be used. Are usually activated when you press the game's "action" button. NPCs, doors, and any other objects fit here.

3) Automatic Events. These events start automatically when certain conditions are met - or even none. Should also be placed on the map in question. They can occur in parallel with the game (as an background animation or noise), or they can "stop" the gameplay (a scripted reaction of an NPCs).

In addition, you must of course be aware of variables, forks, as this is extremely important. You can create an event [NPC] that, by when a certain variable set, will do something different. Events can have multiple pages and each page can have a different prerequisite. Then, a single event can react in different ways (running different pages) in accordance with the prerequisites that you had determined.

With this system you can do just about anything, and indeed many functions that should be made in Ruby programming can be "emulated" by events. This isn't, of course, the ideal, but can be done. The biggest problem is the RPGMaker's limitations of the combat system. If the fighting will not be your focus, or you don't care so much about it, then it's not a bad tool.

Here's a screenshot of the event screen:
http://borealisrpg.files.wordpress.com/ ... reen-1.png

That is to say that you don't need to "write" anything in that screen. Clicking on the page command, a new window will open with several buttons. Each button has a function, and generally the functions is quite explicit. The "text" button performs the function of displaying a text on the screen, the "image" button displays an image, and so on. Only by setting the properties of each event you can build what you want.

If you want to see how the system works, search on YouTube for "RPG Maker VX Tutorial". You will see some examples of events, is really an intuitive system.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Bluegrazz said:
Thanks.

No. This is nothing like the ITS Zombie game (although I find myself answering this alot, lol) except that we are both going for a Zombie Outbreak "Survival Sim- ZOSS (new term for the genre)

First, I am a total amateur to PC game making. I made my first sprite/script/graphic about a month ago and my first PC game 3 months ago. I bought RPG Maker to make a game for my nephew for Christmas- Figured I would throw some shit game together, slap his picture in it and be done.

I started playing around with the program and ended up making a damn good kids game that was pretty advanced- BUT I found there were ways to adapt a Pen and Paper/Board game I made a long time ago (and continue to add to to this day)

Essentially you get a random city ever game, random way to escape, random "gangs" and strengths, random reason for the outbreak and a ton of random npcs, story lines, quests... Ton of random shit. =P

When on the city streets the game runs in real time. You run around and zombies walk around (some random, some pre-determined path, some chase you) if a Zombie touches you it "warps" you to turn based combat... Its not twitch based at all, Zombies are slow and pretty easy to avoid.

When you enter a home or other structure the game plays like a Text Game (the closest I could get to having a "game master" run the house) but has pictures. If you happen to be on a story line- Its handled in text form....

So, say you are on the streets and enter a brick home- Immediately it switches over to "turn based" (Outside and out of combat is "real time")- Once you clear the house (all rooms checked) you will gain "Liberation" of that house-
Now, from a central room you will get a new menu (at least thats how it is going at the moment) that will allow you to "Scrap" the house (pull off the inside doors, gather nails, wood, etc.) or "fortify" (use the items you have scrapped to fortify the building)-

Each time you either "scrap" or "fortify" it clicks time forward 15 minutes and adds to the "structure value" of the home- AND every X amount of time (X= unknown) a % chance to attract Zombies (% based on how many Zombies are on the outside map- essentially, very light, light, med, heavy, very heavy) which will chip away at the structure value.... Eventually, Zombies will ALWAYS break the fortifications down unless you are constantly reinforcing.... But...

You cannot ever heal so slowly you will be getting picked apart even if you try to avoid combat and you sustain injuries (sprained ankle, broken arm)-

-

Simply put- These are different games completely. I am essentially emulating a board game (a complex one- but still) where everything breaks down to "flipping a card" rolling % dice, etc mixed with an adventure game (like Zork) but in a Zombie Outbreak- Throwing as much randomness as possible for replay and hoping I have a compelling game (I am pretty sure I will)

The doublebear game is alot more complex and (from my understanding) not like this at all- Except for the premise.

-But , I cant wait for that game- Have it linked to my forum and hope that any publicity I get for this project helps them as well.... VD is still a dick , lol, but he seems to be the best hope I have of getting some good fucking RPGs - So I suppose I'm stuck with him and if I can funnel a few people who hear about this game to him and his team so they can make some decent games...

I was kinda trying to pimp my game on the down low here at the codex (for a million reasons) but....

Sounds interesting. Does it have a release date?

sheek

Arbiter
Luzur said:
there was some guy some years ago who was on coding a SSI "RPG maker" ala Unlimited Adventures but more fleshed out, but i didnt hear anymore from him and now the forum where he was posting is long gone (Wyzards Development Forums).

but Unlimited Adventures was fun to play around in.
Sounds like DC. It is a remake of FRUA.

Martin said:
OK thanks for the info sheek. Tell me something what are the most serious limitations that you think dungeon craft has at this point or in general? (EDITED: didnt read your second post before.)
I don't know I just started using it.

Like I said I would prefer to just rely on alot of text if I was to make a dungeon craft scenario, the arrow with overhead area view works but needing to change the facing all the time is annoying. If I had my way I would remove the pseudo 3d view in a scenario I make.
Yes you need to make use of text more but that can be a good thing (force you to choose your descriptions, relying too much on visuals makes you lazy).

Bluegrazz

Novice
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Bluegrazz said:
Thanks.

-

Sounds interesting. Does it have a release date?

I am saying Dec 2010 (but truthfully I have a small but 'playable' prototype right now) and shooting for Halloween in actuality (but saying Dec to give myself plenty of time)- Basically I am going to spend the next 3 months focused on adding to the game (more events, randomness, 'storylines', etc) and then try to get the graphics to a better standard-

At that point I will just keep adding things and trying to implement some features I am not sure will work (so I am really not even discussing them atm) which will determine whether I release at Halloween or Christmas.

-Thanks alot guys...Seriously. I woulda figured I would get the hell bashed out of me for even talking about my game here (but its still early :lol: )

a cut of domestic sheep prime

:necro:

Yeah, so I'd played around with it a few years ago, but nothing came of it and the normal price is $69 US sucks, but $14 seems more reasonable. I bought it, but who knows if I'll do anything with it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/220700/

Anyone want buy this and make the anime schlock fest RPG of their dreams?

a cut of domestic sheep prime

There's a lot of youtube tutorials and free scripts out there now too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom