Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is "Mass Effect 2" an RPG or a TPS?

ME2 = RPG or TPS?

• RPG

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • TPS

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

kris

Arcane
I don't find this such an important issue as some seen. Either you like it or not.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
If ME isnt an RPG then we are going to have to kick IWD, SotSB, Dragon Age, Diablo (which I'm fine with), and almost every JRPG out of the genre.

Kaanyrvhok said:
If ME isnt an RPG then we are going to have to kick IWD, SotSB, Dragon Age, Diablo (which I'm fine with), and almost every JRPG out of the genre.

Why are you just so fucking stupid

Seriously

What "we"

You're THE ONLY FUCKHEAD HERE who thinks IWD, DA, Diablo and jRPGs should be in the RPG genre

Seriously

NO ONE ELSE THINKS THESE GAMES ARE RPGS, AT LEAST NO ONE ELSE THAT MATTERS

YOUR "THREATS" SOUND FUCKING EMPTY AND PATHETIC

YOU ARE A FUCKING FAILURE

WILL YOU KILL YOURSELF ALREADY

Medic

Scholar
Patron
Mass Effect 2 is for fags.

Seriously, almost no equipment customization? For fags.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Emotional Vampire said:
Kaanyrvhok said:

Why are you just so fucking stupid

Seriously

What "we"

You're THE ONLY FUCKHEAD HERE who thinks IWD, DA, Diablo and jRPGs should be in the RPG genre

Seriously

NO ONE ELSE THINKS THESE GAMES ARE RPGS, AT LEAST NO ONE ELSE THAT MATTERS

YOUR "THREATS" SOUND FUCKING EMPTY AND PATHETIC

YOU ARE A FUCKING FAILURE

WILL YOU KILL YOURSELF ALREADY

Sometimes I wonder if you have a brain or a failed nation of anarchist nanognomes.

Lets eliminate JRPGs, dungeon haks then what are we left with thats all that different from ME? What real RPG is that different from ME? There is not a shooter like it.

Azarkon

Arcane
Medic said:
Mass Effect 2 is for fags.

Seriously, almost no equipment customization? For fags.

That's pretty much the only major deficiency in ME 2 vis-a-vis ME 1, RPG mechanics wise.

CODEX HAS SPOKEN:

EQUIPMENT CUSTOMIZATION MAKES GAME RPG. NEWS AT 11.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
There's also dumbing down of spells and abilities. Maybe for ME3 they should just cut all the crap out of the game and just start calling the missions 'levels', with you finding weapons on the levels as required by the stronger enemies, and returning to its Doom roots once and for all.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Bottom line is that ME2 has more in common with rpgs than it does shooters. That's a fact jack, and don't try to make a fuckin' cumback.

aries202

Erudite
Is Stalker an RPG or a TPS?

I'm asking since it could be argued that the same applies to Stalker. And many people here on the codex argues that Stalker could be seen as more of an rpg than say the first Mass Effect or even Oblivion (not that hard, I know)...

aries202 said:
Is Stalker an RPG or a TPS?

I'm asking since it could be argued that the same applies to Stalker. And many people here on the codex argues that Stalker could be seen as more of an rpg than say the first Mass Effect or even Oblivion (not that hard, I know)...

Fail

Kaanyrvhok said:
Lets eliminate JRPGs, dungeon haks then what are we left with thats all that different from ME? What real RPG is that different from ME? There is not a shooter like it.

Quality sig material right there.

[Jez]

Novice
ME2 = RPG or TPS?
RPG 25% [ 16 ]
TPS 74% [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 62

I know I fail at maths but isn't that 99%? where did the other 1% go?
ME2 is an RPG, unfortunately its a better shooter than it is a RPG

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
ME2 is NOT a rpg. It's not a shooter. It's a fuckin' action rpg. FFS RAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

ricolikesrice

Arcane
to be serious for a second ME2 is just as much(little) of a RPG as The Witcher - which was voted RPG of year here at the codex in 2007 and 2008. linear as fuck, barely any RPG elements, dumbed down action combat ..... plays like an interactive movie rather than an actual game.

now skyway & co rallying against ME2 being called RPG is not surprising given he & co also loathed Twitcher .... but then they were in the minority and lost their polls, against bioware they have massive backup. has the codex truly declined soo much that the hard-to-please-elitist-standards have been replaced by rebellious-teen-double-standards ? "hey lets fight the establishment / mainstream" (while listening and purchasing music sold by sony & co )"

kind of a shame really. :decline:

Mortmal

Arcane
if ME2 is not a rpg , then the only games that qualify as such are fallout 1-2 and arcanum, and not even sure for arcanum it had a poor real time combat system. Ice wind dale, was a D&D dungeon crawl, amongst the pen and paper community D&d is considered as one of the most basic combat centered and less roleplay of all system, you cant compare it to ars magica or world of darkness for example.
Vampirebloodline ? railroaded ,and action real time combat, but then again praised on codex , cause its not bioware.
Even KOTC , wich has a top notch turn based combat sytem but zero dialogue and zero choices shouldnt be considered as a rpg.
That dont leave many games to discuss about.

Mortmal said:
if ME2 is not a rpg , then the only games that qualify as such are fallout 1-2 and arcanum

FINALLY you're getting it!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom