Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum on GoG

likaq

Arcane
Ausir said:
Well, given that Activision merged with Blizzard and Leon Boyarsky works at Blizzard, one of the original devs might indirectly benefit from it.

It's so retarded logic that you deserve for this:

facepalm2sn8.jpg

Zeus

Cipher
Norfleet said:
Given that Troika no longer exists, it is unclear to me who benefits from buying this, but I can't imagine anyone really cares enough for the well-being of ex-Troika creditors to want to give them money.

Presumably, Troika benefited back when they sold off the rights to their games.

Contrary to popular belief, Evil Corporations can't just swoop in and take Beloved Developer's games without compensation. At some point in the deal, a contract was signed and money changed hands. Even if it was a condition set by the publisher, well, that's how it goes. If you want to keep your rights, go indie. Good luck buying the D&D license out of your own pocket.

At one point, Blizzard was sold for $7 million. These days that's how much money they make every second. I'm sure whoever sold them off for $7 million is kicking himself, but it's not like I worry he's going "uncompensated" every time I buy a Diablo game. He sold his rights and got paid. Sometimes that works out for you and sometimes it don't.

Just ask the guys who founded McDonalds.

Zeus

Cipher
Annonchinil said:
I haven't played Fallout or Arcanum, so which one should be first?

Fallout. It's shorter and chronologically came first. I'd only suggest Arcanum first if you have some personal distaste for post-apoc or a strong Steampunk fetish.

Zeus said:
Annonchinil said:

Fallout. It's shorter and chronologically came first. I'd only suggest Arcanum first if you have some personal distaste for post-apoc or a strong Steampunk fetish.
Fallout is harder to get into, though. The combat is so slow, the inventory is a complete mess, the journal is only basic, etc etc. Not to mention how confusing it is the first time, if you don't resort to a walkthrough.

entertainer

Arbiter
Annonchinil said:

fallout is very very hard, also the turn-based combat is slow and frustrating, there dialogues where you have to read text which is pain for the eyes and theres no arrows to guide you for quest goals which will make you lost.

so get mass effect 2, its all kinds of awesome

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
EV got trolled, I don't believe what I'm seeing.

St. Toxic

Arcane
phanboy_iv said:
Oh, and Gabriel Knight: Sins Of The Fathers (Full talkie version) was also released. Good luck trying to find a legal copy of that for $5.99.

If anybody wants an illegal copy, just ask me what I know about snakes.

Annonchinil

Scholar
Just bought Fallout, listening to the music while reading the manual and its already a creepy experience.

Any character suggestions?

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
Hory said:
Just be yourself. :smug:

call me ghey, but in my first play through of each fallout I tried to translate myself over to the game as best I could and only made decisions I would have approved of IRL. Probably the only RPGs where I've done that. Probably the only cRPGs that are indepth enough where that is even possible.

Ebola1717

Novice
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but i didn't think it was worth making a new topic for this.

My NPCs are automatically picking up items. For example, Gar decided he wanted a 5000 weight block in ashbury. How/Can I stop them?

Norfleet

Zeus said:
Presumably, Troika benefited back when they sold off the rights to their games.
By "benefitting", you mean "got to walk away from it", perhaps. When corporations go belly-up, their assets get taken by their creditors.

Zeus said:
Contrary to popular belief, Evil Corporations can't just swoop in and take Beloved Developer's games without compensation.
Yes, but how and what this compensation is tends to vary widely and is rarely favorable to those whose arms are being twisted.

My point is that the people who actually made the game do not benefit from these sales. It doesn't matter whether they voluntarily sold the rights or had them taken by their creditors: What happens is that a faceless vulture-corp is getting the rewards for it, and I see no particularly good reason why I should desire to give them money.

Annonchinil

Scholar
Emotional Vampire said:
Agility and Intelligence are by far two most important stats in the game.

Ohh, I already picked Agility and Charisma, with small guns, charm and sneak. Just finsihes Shady Sands rad cave with the mercenary dude. Should I go to V15 or raiders or junktown?

Zeus

Cipher
Norfleet said:
Zeus said:
Contrary to popular belief, Evil Corporations can't just swoop in and take Beloved Developer's games without compensation.
Yes, but how and what this compensation is tends to vary widely and is rarely favorable to those whose arms are being twisted..

You don't see Spiderweb fans bitching about his games are on GOG for a reason. If you deal with the devil, you will get burned.

Norfleet said:
My point is that the people who actually made the game do not benefit from these sales. It doesn't matter whether they voluntarily sold the rights or had them taken by their creditors: What happens is that a faceless vulture-corp is getting the rewards for it, and I see no particularly good reason why I should desire to give them money.

If everyone refused to buy games from "faceless vulture-corps," then these licenses would lose all value and FVC's would stop buying the rights. Then how would Troika have "paid their creditors"? By selling off their homes? Does that sound like a better scenario to you?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Zeus said:
If everyone refused to buy games from "faceless vulture-corps," then these licenses would lose all value and FVC's would stop buying the rights.
...what's so bad about it?

Then how would Troika have "paid their creditors"? By selling off their homes? Does that sound like a better scenario to you?
What part of
the people who actually made the game do not benefit from these sales
you don't understand?
And Troika is no more btw.

Fucking Quality Poster

Ebola1717 said:
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but i didn't think it was worth making a new topic for this.

My NPCs are automatically picking up items. For example, Gar decided he wanted a 5000 weight block in ashbury. How/Can I stop them?

Install the unofficial patch and reroll a character, or play this one out and install the unofficial patch for your next play-through.

Zeus

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
GGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGGGG!!!!!! :evil:

You aren't allowed to talk about GOG anymore. Not after you told everyone to pirate Realms of Arkania even though the developers were getting a cut. It's obvious you don't care whether or not game creators are compensated, you're just still angry because GOG left you marooned for all eternity, in the center of a dead planet... buried alive.

Buried alive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom