Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of all Western SRPGs

roll-a-die

Magister
Thank you for affirming what I already suspected Trithne.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
RE OP

SRPG means Squad games with RPG elements. Basically Japanese are able to understand a lot of different stats, thus they are able to play complex games like SRPGs. In addition they are leap and bounds above non japanese games in writting quality and internal consistency.

Imagine a girl in front of coffin with a boy inside. She is saying in desperate voice "Prince wake up, wake up." Then she comes to conclusion... It can't be any worse. She draws a gun says "There is still one thing I can try.", then she aims at prince's head with intention to blow a hole into.

Why was she desperate?

Well Disgaea was grind, but its story and writing was internally consistent and funny.

FE is quite different, as its more story about nobles and theirs internal relationships.

There are three most important goals in FE:

1. Force them to like each other, so they marry each other. ALL OF THEM.
2. Accomplish the mission.
3. Don't let anyone killed, it would be much more difficult later.

Basically it looked like this: "He doesn't look like this, but he is a violent maniac." Girls eyes were wide open,Wow he is not only nicely looking, but he is also violent maniac, he is wonderful. They are crazy maniacs with honor. Some times they also slaughtering others for crimes like not being nobles. Basically if you are into stories about nobles and honor FE is difficult, but wonderful game.

Soul nomad and world eaters.

They forced level 3-5 characters to fight level 1000 opponent in theirs third battle.
... guess what would happen if they would be able to beat it up for example on new game+

It has interesting squad system.

When you look at non japanese games and compare them with the above, you'd see squad tactical games, however not RPGs. What would happen when one of the characters would be shot? In squad games, they hire new character. In SRPGs, it would cause massive problems, or it will be the end.

Can you goof around in squad based games? Not.

Does story in squad based games change only because some of characters were in different mood? People who are playing tactical games would scream loudly.

It might be helpful if you played games like Eternal poison, or Tactic Ogre advance.

Raghar said:
RE OP

SRPG means Squad games with RPG elements. Basically Japanese are able to understand a lot of different stats, thus they are able to play complex games like SRPGs. In addition they are leap and bounds above non japanese games in writting quality and internal consistency.

Imagine a girl in front of coffin with a boy inside. She is saying in desperate voice "Prince wake up, wake up." Then she comes to conclusion... It can't be any worse. She draws a gun says "There is still one thing I can try.", then she aims at prince's head with intention to blow a hole into.

Why was she desperate?

Well Disgaea was grind, but its story and writing was internally consistent and funny.

FE is quite different, as its more story about nobles and theirs internal relationships.

Basically it looked like this: "He doesn't look like this, but he is a violent maniac." Girls eyes were wide open,Wow he is not only nicely looking, but he is also violent maniac, he is wonderful. They are crazy maniacs with honor. Some times they also slaughtering others for crimes like not being nobles. Basically if you are into stories about nobles and honor FE is difficult, but wonderful game.

They forced level 3-5 characters to fight level 1000 opponent in theirs third battle.
... guess what would happen if they would be able to beat it up for example on new game+

When you look at non japanese games and compare them with the above, you'd see squad tactical games, however not RPGs. What would happen when one of the characters would be shot? In squad games, they hire new character. In SRPGs, it would cause massive problems, or it will be the end.

Does story in squad based games change only because some of characters were in different mood? People who are playing tactical games would scream loudly.

It might be helpful if you played games like Eternal poison, or Tactic Ogre advance.

If I still believed in trolling, I'd give you a good score.

Elzair

Cipher
Raghar said:
RE OP

Why was she desperate?

LAWL!!

1208816215525.jpg
[/b]

Trithne

Erudite
Raghar said:
RE OP

Why was she desperate?

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Emotional Vampire said:
If I still believed in trolling, I'd give you a good score.

You must feel sorry for these poor people and be willing to participate in discussion, they would troll themselves.

Trithne said:
What the fuck is wrong with you?

Browser ate my previous, more coherent and grammatically correct, post? That's still better excuse than "I pirated because cat scratched my DVD, honest.".

Trithne

Erudite
I wasn't complaining about your post's coherence and grammar. I am complaining about its semantic qualities, however, in that it has none and what little understandable content it has is along the lines of 'Japanese gaemz are deep and have better plots than western gaemz that have no plot!', which, as an avid gamer of both sides of the coin, I can tell you is fucking false.

Elzair

Cipher
Trithne said:
I wasn't complaining about your post's coherence and grammar. I am complaining about its semantic qualities, however, in that it has none and what little understandable content it has is along the lines of 'Japanese gaemz are deep and have better plots than western gaemz that have no plot!', which, as an avid gamer of both sides of the coin, I can tell you is fucking false.

Persona_is_Deep.png

Elzair

Cipher
I might as well be serious for a while.

Raghar said:
In addition they are leap and bounds above non japanese games in writting quality and internal consistency.

WTF?! Just how many Japanese and Western RPGs have you played?

Raghar said:

Why was she desperate?

You call that funny?! (Well it kind of is.) One of the major problems with JRPGs is that their worlds are not internally consistent, and that often ends up undermining their stories. Also, western CRPGs tend not to go the linear, cinematic story route, so their basic frame is more likely to make sense. There are plenty of stupid JRPG cliches out there. Personally, I have said "Oh come on!" a whole lot more when playing JRPGs than WRPGs.

Raghar said:

This is wonderful?! WTF?! Are you sure you are not just trolling?

Raghar said:

Wow! Level 1000! Whatever shall we do?

38210_k3clh4chsr_l.jpg

Raghar said:

'Kay!

Raghar said:
When you look at non japanese games and compare them with the above, you'd see squad tactical games, however not RPGs.

You must have a pretty weird definition of RPGs.

Raghar said:
What would happen when one of the characters would be shot? In squad games, they hire new character. In SRPGs, it would cause massive problems, or it will be the end.

Uh, in most JRPGs (and even the few SRPGs I have played), resurrection is just a Phoenix Down away. Even in Baldur's Gate, death could be a real hassle.

Raghar said:

In most good games, you cannot goof of.

Raghar said:

This sentence does not compute.

getter77

Augur
Umm...somewhat lost on the specific metrics being used, but versus the example of say Fire Emblem fare in the OP:

Fantasy Wars, Elven Legacy, upcoming Grotesque Tactics?

Elzair

Cipher
getter77 said:
Umm...somewhat lost on the specific metrics being used, but versus the example of say Fire Emblem fare in the OP:

Well, really I am just looking for RPGs with party-based (where you control the entire party), turn-based (self-explanatory), grid-based (i.e. where the players can move around and do not just stand still) combat. Also, the characters (or units, whatever) have to be able to improve over time (i.e. level-up). They also have to have been made in the "West" (i.e. the Americas or Europe).

Black_Willow

Arcane
Elzair said:
getter77 said:

Well, really I am just looking for RPGs with party-based (where you control the entire party), turn-based (self-explanatory), grid-based (i.e. where the players can move around and do not just stand still) combat. Also, the characters (or units, whatever) have to be able to improve over time (i.e. level-up). They also have to have been made in the "West" (i.e. the Americas or Europe).
ToEE isn't grid based :smug:

Elzair

Cipher
Black_Willow said:
Elzair said:
getter77 said:

ToEE isn't grid based :smug:

Well, really I am just looking for games where the characters can move around in combat. I only played ToEE for a short time a long time ago, but I remember there was only a limited amount of space to move per turn.

Elzair

Cipher
Zeus said:
Elzair said:
Japanese SRPGs (i.e. Simulation Role-Playing Games)

S....simulation games? You mean like flight sims?

The S stands for strategy, my dear boy. Strategy!

In Japan these games are known as "Simulation RPGs", a designation which might seem peculiar to native English speakers; in Japan, the term TRPG refers exclusively to tabletop role-playing games. This stems from the Japanese usage of "simulation" as a short hand for "strategy simulation game".

Luzur

Good Sir

i have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

Zeus

Cipher
Elzair said:
In Japan these games are known as "Simulation RPGs", a designation which might seem peculiar to native English speakers; in Japan, the term TRPG refers exclusively to tabletop role-playing games. This stems from the Japanese usage of "simulation" as a short hand for "strategy simulation game".

Wikipedia's right, it does sound peculiar.

The funny thing is, "Tactical RPG" is in most cases more accurate than "simulation" or "strategy," and one of the first mainstream SRPGs in America was called Final Fantasty Tactics, but I suppose the term just never caught on. It bugged me back when King's Bounty was released; reviewers kept calling it a Strategy/RPG.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I don't think I would classify any of the Ultima games as strategy RPGs. The combat in them, while turn-based, is pretty basic--no where near the level of complexity of, say, the Gold Box games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom