Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware: "Dragon Age flawed", promises improvement

MetalCraze

Arcane
sheek said:
Personally I never liked the IE look and don't know why it's held up as the holy grail of art design.

http://www.gravytea.com/florian/AR0300.jpg

Streets that look like streets, buildings of realistic size, looks like a docks area. Finally while Athkatla was only presented with a few areas it did feel like a real big city.
The main question when looking at cities in 3D games is "people live here?"

sheek

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
sheek said:
Personally I never liked the IE look and don't know why it's held up as the holy grail of art design.

http://www.gravytea.com/florian/AR0300.jpg

Streets that look like streets, buildings of realistic size, looks like a docks area. Finally while Athkatla was only presented with a few areas it did feel like a real big city.
You expect realism? All I need is to know what function objects/buildings serve and getting a sense of atmosphere second.

IE looks too (plastically) pretty and frilly at the expense of function, because almost none of the little details that crowd the screen can be interacted with.

My preferred interface for city exploration would be a higher-res this:

Realms_of_arkania.png

bhlaab

Erudite
DA 2 is going to be much more "console friendly" you heard it here first folks

Silellak

Cipher
bhlaab said:
DA 2 is going to be much more "console friendly" you heard it here first folks
Oh, no question. DA was designed for PCs then, much later, the decision was made to port it to consoles. DA2 is undoubtedly being designed with consoles in mind from day one.

MetalCraze

Arcane
sheek said:
IE looks too (plastically) pretty and frilly at the expense of function, because almost none of the little details that crowd the screen can be interacted with.
True that however we talked about looks and art design.

My preferred interface for city exploration would be a higher-res this:

Realms_of_arkania.png
You call it 'high-res'? You mean you just prefer to explore world from FP perspective?
And Sheek, RoA's "cities" had even less "function", I'd say they were the weak part of the game as they were basically 'hubs' with shops and would've been much better if they were done with pre-made 2D backgrounds at least. Each district in Athkatla was different and thus more interesting to explore.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Their very own 2D BG games look way better than this."

Complete and utter bullshit.
"

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Diodax
Diodax @ Jan 29th 2010 5:30PM

"It felt like WoW single player."

And that's exactly why I found it awesome

Dny

Educated
There isn't a single place in DA that feels like an actual city. Denerim is pathetic shit compared to Baldur's Gate, BG2 Athkatla, Arcanum Tarant or even what can be found in Morrowind.

Biowhore newly found love for the "cities in a small hub" is boring shit.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
IE games managed to implement cities right, so they looked and sounded like cities. Detailed city locations were one of the biggest appeals of BG 2 and new 3d games fall pathetically short in that regard, as their cities look like a cluster of props.

Antagonist

Liturgist
MetalCraze said:

Athkatla, Baldur's Gate and Sigil also made the impression of a living and breathing city because the developers nailed the ambient sounds for these locations. You could hear people talking, peddling their wares, working and doing all kinds of other activities you would expect from the inhabitants.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
sheek said:
Trash said:
Area (especially wilderness ones) and encounter design could use some serious work and the game mechanics need some tweaking as well. The bad guys could use some more character as well. As it is the whole plague ork thingie grows a bit stale after awhile. Other than that it was quite a fun romp.
What is wrong with the outdoors? It's not a hiking simulator.

The area design. Almost all indoor areas look good and are filled with interesting details. A mayority of the outdoor areas on the other hand look bland, generic and even empty.

On a side note, a believable city is always a tricky thing to pull off. BG 2 did it quite well, mostly because of the amazing art and sound direction they had. I also enjoyed the simple but effective aproach of Betrayal at Krondor and Betrayal at Antarra.

lamut.png

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
All who visit Lamut are equal for in Lamut all is equally queer.

Gay town detected.

Also, I side with MC on his praise for Athkatla. If only because for once he's "preaching for", instead of "bitching against".

lightbane

Arcane
With more BLOOM, obviously (possibly accompanied with greater boobs and even more EXTREME shoulderpads)...

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
56K emo cries again.

Blackadder said:
How are they going to make things look "better" when they need to fit it onto the current consoles?

Improve the engine? The older a console is the more developers usually manage to cram out of it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Codex criticising next-gen for giving characters personality instead of looks n' boobs?

My time here has finally come full-circle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom