Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DAVID GAIDER I'M CALLING YOU OUT

Texas Red

Whiner
DA is fun if you ignore the Deep Caves. But something you can't ignore is the immature dialog and the juvenile humor. I had to cringe on more than several occasions, especially on your char's dialog choices since they makes him/her look like a 13 year old.

Here is a screenshot that shows not the worst possible example, but the average conversation you can find in DA:

dragonage1259346895.jpg

Anyway, whatever, if you played DA you know that the dialogs are retarded. There is no other word that can describe them that well.

However, PS:T has better dialogs. FO 2 has better dialogs. Hell, even ME 2 or any other RPG released in the past several years has better dialogs.

Here is an example of PS:T humor:

ps_code1.png

In DA you can tell Morrigan that her underpants probably stink and have Alistair and the dwarf discuss masturbation through allegory.

Why then, David, does DA have the worst dialogs of any RPG? Did you try to identify with the teens even though the average gamer is over 20 years old? How come Bioware can create such stunning cinematics but fails to write above the 10th grade level? Would you not say that DA is a clear indication that you, or whoever wrote the dialogs, is simply incompetent? If there's a reason for the idiotic dialogs, what is it? If you'd right now play PS:T or MotB and then play DA, do you become embarrassed or envious of the obviously superior level of writing in these two RPG?

We won't get these answers. Can you imagine yourself being incapable to answer questions unless someone else approves them before publishing? If such a time occurs, do your balls shrink and wither away?

Multi-headed Cow

Dark Individual said:
In DA you can tell Morrigan that her underpants probably stink
*Slowly runs his hand through his thick luxurious belly hair as it creeps ever closer to his crotch*

Truman

Scholar
The dialogue with random/npc characters is mediocre but it consistently provides you with a 3-4 amusing options to choose from. With Bioware, the concern seems to be entertainment, not literary style. Generally, dialogue in DA is fun, and the choices are interesting without becoming a chore.

Bioware does have one great strength in writing: party members. Morrigan and Alastair are particularly well realized. Ask them about their backstories, it's fascinating, and I'm particularly fond of Morrigan's style of speech. Both Morrigan and Alastair have excellent voice acting as well.

Overall, Bioware writing tends to be approachable, appealing to a wide audience. It's commercial-oriented, which makes sense since it's hard to think of any game studio these days that is secure enough to indulge in niche games, like Planescape Torment.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Dark Individual said:
We won't get these answers.

I'm not looking for any, but I can safely assume that he would answer this one :

Dark Individual said:
Would you not say that DA is a clear indication that you, or whoever wrote the dialogs, is simply incompetent?

With a simple : No, I would not.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Truman said:
Bioware does have one great strength in writing: party members. Morrigan and Alastair are particularly well realized. Ask them about their backstories, it's fascinating, and I'm particularly fond of Morrigan's style of speech. Both Morrigan and Alastair have excellent voice acting as well.

I agree, they do have excellent voice acting. Especially Alistair. The whiny bitchiness in his voice was masterfully nuanced.

burrie

Scholar
Bioware didn't create that trailer cinematic, did they? I thought the same company that did the TOR trailer worked on the Dragon Age trailer as well.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Dark Individual said:
In DA you can tell Morrigan that her underpants probably stink

Screenshot or it didn't happen. I need it for my next masturbation session.

denizsi

Arcane
What the fuck is the deal with these cinematics? Are they exclusively promo material? I'm 2/3 into the game and haven't seen a single one of those. "Cinematics" are rendered all in-game.

Black

Arcane
Of course, even before it existed.
MCA- a true visionary.

mondblut

Arcane
I liked the golem conversations. Somehow, of all the recurring bioware characters, the Non-Organic Homicidal Killing Machine ends up an only adorable one, while the Good Guy With Some Dark Past, the Cynical Sexy Bitch, the Naive Girl With Golden Heart and everybody else are equally obnoxious and annoying.

I wonder whether it speaks more of their character-creating skills or of my personality :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom