Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGamers RPG of the Decade

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Multi-headed Cow said:
Also, is there a decent PS2 emulator by now?
While it's finicky and might need more complex rounding, PCSX2 can run it well.

BTW it's a horror game, not a beat them up.

Nightjed

Liturgist
Satori said:
Raghar said:
Multi-headed Cow said:
Also, is there a decent PS2 emulator by now?
While it's finicky and might need more complex rounding, PCSX2 can run it well.
So long as you have a good processor and DX10+

you are exagerating, i have an ancient core 2 duo 6400 , running winxp and i finished both p3 and p4 running at full speed 95% of the time (there are some slowdowns here and there, nothing mayor) with my also ancient gforce 7200 about a year and a half ago using an old pcsx2 build (new ones are supposedly faster)

its true the most important factor for the ps2 emu is the cpu tho and some games work worse than others (i cant run god of war for example, but all Nippon ichi and Atlus games work like a charm)

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't have DX 10.

PS2 isn't that harsh on computers. For example FFXII requires for full speed C2D at 3.2 GHz, but it would be playable at lower speeds. Only Xenosaga would cause problems. As long as you have reasonable CPU, you'd be fine.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Raghar said:
There are choices and consequences. When you ask about that boy at start, wording the question as if nothing happened, she would give you strange look.
picard-facepalm.jpg

Multi-headed Cow said:
Does Persona 3 have rape in it? Because all these Bioware games keep cockteasing me when all I want to do is kill monsters and get gold and then go back to town and rape the shit out of someone and spend the gold bribing the guards to let me go and begin the cycle anew.

It is indeed a shame that Sengoku Rance seems to not be making any best RPG lists :?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Fat Dragon said:
Raghar said:
There are choices and consequences. When you ask about that boy at start, wording the question as if nothing happened, she would give you strange look.
picard-facepalm.jpg

An image from a clishe western TV series.

Have you read a book lately? They are often subtle like the above. What would happen when you would walk with a girl and then you suddenly said some really weird question?

anomie

Scholar
Yeah the consequences in persona 3 were like, "well you went to the store in the town square instead of giving me a teddy bear on april 12th so i won't be your friend now."

You fought in dungeons until your party members were tired. Once they are all fatigued you go to sleep. You then wake up and go to school; then you can (heh its your choice guys!!!) either do some after school club shit, go to a shrine to pray, or play arcade games, or spend time with somebody to build the relationship with them. After doing ONE of these things, it becomes evening and you can either go back to the dungeon, or go to sleep. then you repeat.

Deciding to go play the arcade games (raises a stat I think) instead of potentially building up your relationships with friends is pretty much the only "C&C" this game has.

All of this with shitty lifeless anime characters (aka i didn't give a shit about befriending anybody in the game), shitty voice acting (even the japanese VA wasn't good so fuck you weeaboos), and sometimes decent music.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Raghar said:
picard-facepalm.jpg

Have you read a book lately? They are often subtle like the above. What would happen when you would walk with a girl and then you suddenly said some really weird question?
Fluff dialogue that adds absolutely nothing to the game experience is not c&c.

Zeus

Cipher
TheCowburner said:
This has to be the worst top 10 ever. Or can the Codex prove me wrong?

Yes, it's a top 5.

So you're wrong.

TheCowburner

Educated
Zeus said:
TheCowburner said:

Yes, it's a top 5.

So you're wrong.

Aren't you a funny guy? Here is the full list:

10. Kingdom Hearts
9. Valkyria
8. Final Fantasy XII
7. Mass Effect
6. Diablo 2
5. Fallout 3
4. Dragon Age
3. World of Warcraft
2. Final Fantasy X
1. Persona 3

Zeus

Cipher
TheCowburner said:
Zeus said:
TheCowburner said:

Yes, it's a top 5.

So you're wrong.

10. Kingdom Hearts
9. Valkyria
8. Final Fantasy XII
7. Mass Effect
6. Diablo 2
5. Fallout 3
4. Dragon Age
3. World of Warcraft
2. Final Fantasy X
1. Persona 3

Noooooooooo!!!

Your correction has banished me to a dark void in which I'll be trapped for a thousand years, until my reign of terror is once again unleashed upon the world, and a fey young lad who is secretly The One/a grizzled team of seasoned mercenaries will have to correct me once again.

P.S. Where'd you find the full list? The only top ten link I see is "Sam Marchello's Top Ten Gems She Hopes You Didn't Miss Out On!"

TheCowburner

Educated
Zeus said:
TheCowburner said:
Zeus said:
TheCowburner said:

Yes, it's a top 5.

So you're wrong.

10. Kingdom Hearts
9. Valkyria
8. Final Fantasy XII
7. Mass Effect
6. Diablo 2
5. Fallout 3
4. Dragon Age
3. World of Warcraft
2. Final Fantasy X
1. Persona 3

Noooooooooo!!!

Your correction has banished me to a dark void in which I'll be trapped for a thousand years, until my reign of terror is once again unleashed upon the world, and a fey young lad who is secretly The One/a grizzled team of seasoned mercenaries will have to correct me once again.

P.S. Where'd you find the full list? The only top ten link I see is "Sam Marchello's Top Ten Gems She Hopes You Didn't Miss Out On!"

It is pretty much "hidden". Go to the "first place" (persona 3) and then click "the rest"

anomie

Scholar
http://board.rpgamer.com/cgi-bin/index. ... 1272;st=40

this site is full of weeaboos.

Don't know if I agree at all with this list personally. Theres just too many WRPGs/PC titles on it for me to really place much stock in it personally. At least #1 was a pretty solid pick, but I don't have that much love for Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Dragon Age, or Kingdom Hearts, and I hate FF12. I get why WoW and Diablo 2 are on the list so no objection there, but its been ages since I've played both and poor social experiences on each game have soured my opinion of them a bit.

I have been trying to find fault with this list. I can't without going all fanboy on a title I thought should be up there. Played most of these games and loved them. With the exception of persona 3 all the games are very mainstream and most gamers, even ones who don't just play rpgs, would enjoy the games on this list.

I don't like your picks. Actually I was thinking FF7 > FF10 but it turns out FF7 released in '97 and therefore isn't eligible. Well in that case I like the pick - FF10 to me is the best FF game last decade.

Risine

Liturgist
Can't prevent myself.
Counter-list of the 10 most interesting western RPG games of the decade ( don't find any interest in sorting them, all are great games) :

Baldur's Gate 2
Arcanum
Wizardry 8
The Witcher
Planescape Torment
Arx Fatalis
Diablo2
IceWind Dale
NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer
Vampire Masquerade

TheCowburner

Educated
JarlFrank said:
Weren't BG2, Diablo 2 and PST made in 1999?

Wikipedia has the answer:
-Diablo II is a dark fantasy-themed action role-playing game, with elements of the hack and slash and "dungeon roaming" genres. It was released for Windows and Mac OS in 2000
-Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, developed by BioWare and released September 26, 2000
-Planescape: Torment is a computer role-playing game developed for Windows by Black Isle Studios and released on December 12, 1999

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Honorable Mentions
(not ranked)

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Chrono Cross
Demon's Souls
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Final Fantasy IX
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Calibur
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
Suikoden V
Tales of Symphonia

It might be helpful to actually reading the original article. He mentioned BG2, Nocturne, Tales game, and Persona 4.

Mortmal

Arcane
Seriously you are arguing about those kids top ten, you ve seen their forums? just a look at their avatars should enlight you. I am surprised to not see pokemon games in that top ten.

As for persona 3 its wrong the dating part is not designed for 12 year old girls, more like for 8 year old ones. I did play it on PS2 , had to look amongst my boxes to check if i had it, that to tell you how memorable it was. Its a decent JRPG, so not even worth starting to compare to real rpgs, you know what it is. What save it is the demons combos to create greater one, the exact same system as every shin megami tensei stuff.Its not too bad plot, but heavy grinding.

Wise Emperor

Arcane
You all are just jealous cause your lists sucks and no one plays your nerdy games.

WOW IZ LIKE THA BEST GEAM EVAR!!!

Seriously only Dragon Rage would have some chances to fit into my elitist rpgs of decade.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ChristofferC said:
JarlFrank said:
Weren't BG2, Diablo 2 and PST made in 1999?
PST was released in december 1999. The others in 2000. You could argue that 2000 belongs to the nineties though.

No you can't.
"90's" are all the years beginning with 199x. Just like the 80s are all the years beginning with 198x. 2000 might belong to the 20th century instead of the 21st, but it doesn't belong to the 90s.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom