Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Yahoo! Previews Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows; Midway Games

John Romero and J.E. Sawyer's upcoming action rpg has been <a href=http://gamesdomain.yahoo.com/pc/gauntlet_seven_sorrows/preview/65220>previewed</a> at Yahoo! with a ton of new screenshots and concept images with a few details on the game which were already covered by other previews.
<br>
<blockquote>The biggest reason for the new health/food dynamic is multiplayer oriented. The idea is to keep players from fighting and scrabbling over the buffs, instead focusing their attention towards enemies. Other mechanics encourage cooperation as well. The inventory system, which is quickly called up with a minimal screen interface, will allow weapons and items to be traded between players.
<br>
<br>
Additionally, the game features something called the "Junction Skill System," which is a means of coordinating special attacks. One player puts down a junction seal, which creates orbits of other seals. The other players capture those seals, and an attack happens within that area. The attacks range from hailstorms to firelines and energy bombs. The Valkyrie uses a mini-game to launch bird attacks at enemies. </blockquote>
<br>
Junctioning sounds incredibly cool.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Why are you so excited about this game? Have you ever played Gauntlet before? I dont even see why it's being covered, it's a damn action game.

NeverwinterKnight

Liturgist
the last gauntlet game i played was in an arcade with 3 other buddies. fond memories of digging through my pockets to find that next quarter whenever id hear "the wizzard is going to die" or whatever the line was.

Surlent

Liturgist
LlamaGod said:
Why are you so excited about this game? Have you ever played Gauntlet before? I dont even see why it's being covered, it's a damn action game.
I can see Exitium already in the spotlight.
RPG GoatseXXX Xclusive: John Romero is going to make Exitium his bitch; inter-view on Rex's ass. :oops:

Anyone remember Daikatana adds ? Wonder why they don't advertise Gauntlet the same way. :?

Rhombus

Liturgist
NeverwinterKnight said:
the last gauntlet game i played was in an arcade with 3 other buddies. fond memories of digging through my pockets to find that next quarter whenever id hear "the wizzard is going to die" or whatever the line was.

"Wizard needs food, badly"

Is the famous line I think.. :)

Fez

Erudite
Nothing gets the heart pounding like "Someone shot the food".

I hope they include the retro sounds as some sort of hidden joke. It'd be too good to miss.

LlamaGod

Cipher
They havent included retro sounds for a long time, but the newer games have plenty of retarded quotes added though.

'DONT EAT POISONOUS FOOD'

'STAY AWAY FROM DANGEROUS OBJECTS'

Quigs

Magister
the junction system sounds like old news, crystal chronicles is probably the feel they are going for.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I've never seen junctioning in a PC game.

Same reason we cover roguelikes, Dungeon Siege and Diablo. Deal with it.

Astromarine

Erudite
What the junctioning system reminds me of (and Roleplayer and Briosa will be the only ones with a chance to know the reference):

- FUUUUUUUUUUU-SÃO

LlamaGod

Cipher
Exitium said:
I've never seen junctioning in a PC game.

Same reason we cover roguelikes, Dungeon Siege and Diablo. Deal with it.

yeah, because Dungeon Siege and Diablo were in the fucking arcades..

Are you retarded?

It's a damn action game where you hit the button over and over and eat food

START COVERING CRASH BANDICOOT BECAUSE THERE IS HEALTH AND ITEMS

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows isn't an arcade game in case you haven't yet realized. Its predecessor was, but we're not covering Gauntlet. We're covering Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows, which isn't an arcade game. It also has an RP-lite system comparable to Dungeon Siege.

To call DS or Diablo and not G:SS an RPG would be retarded. Fuck, at least G:SS has more interactivity than either of those games, especially with the terrain interaction, climbing over walls and all sorts of other shit most of us wish that developers would take the time to implement in games like Neverwinter Nights. What's the point of having a 3d engine if you're not going to use it properly?

It's a damn action game where you hit the button over and over and eat food
How is this any different from hitting the left mouse button and drinking health potions in Dungeon Siege?

LlamaGod

Cipher
How is this any different from hitting the left mouse button and drinking health potions in Dungeon Siege?

Atleast in Dungeon Siege, as crappy as it is, you didnt run over your health items and fill up a meter complete with "YUMMMMM!' sound effect.

Rows of enemies that just walk straight to you and you hit the button over and over, have you ever played Gauntlet? I dont think you have.

It's like PAINKILLER. Are you gonna start covering Painkiller now?

It's a damned action game 100%, dont give me 'RPG-lite like Dungeon Siege and Diablo' because it isnt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom