Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FF13 Midnight Release - How many of you tools...

Arcanoix

Scholar
Are going to go? :)

DriacKin

Arbiter
The reviews for the game have been somewhat mediocre. You know this game is gonna suck if the critics aren't even fapping over a Final Fantasy.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
As far as Sqauresoft projects go, this one looks to be particularly bad. The developer has been releasing bloated, self-indulgent crap for years now. Today, a Squaresoft game = endless tutorials, filler, and horrible, unrealstic characters that no one can relate to.

According to the Gametrailers.com review, this one consists of a 12 hour tutorial, level design that's contstricted to linear corridors, and especially bad dialogue and VO. Anyone who buys this thing is a sucker.

Luzur

Good Sir
dont know why people buy those games anymore, there just interactive animu emo stories with some turnbased combat.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
dipdipdip said:
Today, a Squaresoft game = endless tutorials, filler, and horrible, unrealstic characters that no one can relate to.
"Today"? they've been like this since Final Fantasy 7.

And the only reason I picked this one is because I have never even seen the earlier ones. Could be they've been like this since the first for all I know.

Arcanoix

Scholar
They even have a black side-kick esque guy... ugghhh Japans giving in...

FF-was-always-linear jokes aside, they said the level design is as linear as it can be on purpose - it's a design choice. They don't let you go back to previous visited places.

Might be interesting depending on the approach. Like, maintaining a "fuckfuckfuck gogogo" rhythm during the game would be a nice change of pace from the usual "the world is ending, but take your time to go back to that backwater town for that minigame you missed"

Arcanoix

Scholar
Clockwork Knight said:
FF-was-always-linear jokes aside, they said the level design is as linear as it can be on purpose - it's a design choice. They don't let you go back to previous visited places.

Might be interesting depending on the approach. Like, maintaining a "fuckfuckfuck gogogo" rhythm during the game would be a nice change of pace from the usual "the world is ending, but take your time to go back to that backwater town for that minigame you missed"

CHANGE...

:rpgnazi:

DraQ

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
There is linear and linear. The examination of the map I linked alone should hint that FFXIII is not just "linear", like most FPS games, old 8bit platformers/shooters, most adventures and other games considered wholly linear by an average codexite are. No, it is Linear. It's levels, when mapped out, form a literal narrow corridor.

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I used to love the FF series... then I played Planescape.

If I want brilliant combat combined with an awful story, I'll play Fallout 3. Which I never bothered to finish. Even Mass Effect 2 is trying my patience, and it's EXTREME.

spekkio

Arcane
Is this the one with one of the characters being a futa?

If Y: :incline: of Enix.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
DriacKin said:
So, which one of you faggots is gonna buy this game and LP it for us?
It's not going to me, I can tell you that much. I only lp good games, mister Fallout 3 lper.

random_encounter

Educated
Clockwork Knight said:

You heard right. The director (Toriyama) basically came out and said that they didn't want the player to be distracted and to experience most of the "introductory" sections as a film. Hence, linear. It's only until you get to Pulse (the other half of the game) that the boredom stops since it acts as a hub, not that it's much consolation after 20+ hours of endless tunnel.

As for the midnight release, never did one and I'm not starting now. I like my sleep and there are always copies available in the morning.

Sceptic said:
dipdipdip said:
Today, a Squaresoft game = endless tutorials, filler, and horrible, unrealstic characters that no one can relate to.
"Today"? they've been like this since Final Fantasy 7.

And the only reason I picked this one is because I have never even seen the earlier ones. Could be they've been like this since the first for all I know.
Surprisingly, no. They're not all this thoroughly linear in terms of how much of the world you are given to explore, especially when you look at FF12, FF9, or FF3/6. Storywise, yes. There is only one story to be told. Forget C&C. It doesn't exist in most JRPGs.

Normally the press goes gaga over FF, but from what I've been reading, it looks like it's the weakest one yet going by the results.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
There is linear and linear. The examination of the map I linked alone should hint that FFXIII is not just "linear", like most FPS games [...]. No, it is Linear. It's levels, when mapped out, form a literal narrow corridor.
You obviously haven't played a lot of FPS games from the past 5 or so years ;)

HanoverF said:
LusciousPear said:
If I want brilliant combat... I'll play Fallout 3.

lol wut?
Yeah I had a good laugh too.

DraQ

Arcane
random_encounter said:
You heard right. The director (Toriyama) basically came out and said that they didn't want the player to be distracted and to experience most of the "introductory" sections as a film. Hence, linear. It's only until you get to Pulse (the other half of the game) that the boredom stops since it acts as a hub, not that it's much consolation after 20+ hours of endless tunnel.
Conventional wisdom dictates that if one wants to see a film, he should watch a film instead of buying a game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom