Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Bloodlines - Just Shy of Greatness

Murk

Arcane
Volourn said:
"you moron, you can't cut half a sentence out and treat it as its own. I said in ONE aspect, that they were perfect in ONE aspect (bloodlines would be writing)."

You are a moron. I cut nothing out as the point still stands. NOTHING is eprfect. Not a game. Not a movie. Not a human being (except for me as the exception to the rule). Not even an 'aspect'. FFS

BL was not perfect in any aspect. None of these games were perfect in any aspect.

ah right, forgot i'm talking to volourn. my bad man, totally mistook you for a sentient human being there. carry on.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
The Feral Kid said:
As for ToEE it was flawed from its very conception. Just giving a D&D PnP session some nice graphics is not what crpgs are about, sorry. You need to adopt this for a new medium like the PC.

Bingo

Longshanks

Augur
DriacKin said:
HanoverF said:
Negatives aside it's probably still the best FPS RPG

wut?
You can't possibly tell me that it's as good as Deus Ex or SS2
Both those games are FPSs.
If we're to accept Deus Ex as an RPG, it's a very poor one, certainly far worse than VtmB.

Rating the games without reference to genre is more difficult. I'd probably go: SS2 > VtmB >>> Deus Ex, with the first two being pretty much interchangable.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Mikayel said:
Volourn said:
"All three of Troika's games were perfect"

Nothing is perfect. Stop the bullshits, start the truths!

you moron, you can't cut half a sentence out and treat it as its own. I said in ONE aspect, that they were perfect in ONE aspect (bloodlines would be writing).

dude you are arguing with Volourn.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:
"you moron, you can't cut half a sentence out and treat it as its own. I said in ONE aspect, that they were perfect in ONE aspect (bloodlines would be writing)."

You are a moron. I cut nothing out as the point still stands. NOTHING is eprfect. Not a game. Not a movie. Not a human being (except for me as the exception to the rule). Not even an 'aspect'. FFS

BL was not perfect in any aspect. None of these games were perfect in any aspect.

Roffles!

...Or should I say "roffltar", traitor?

DriacKin

Arbiter
HanoverF said:
DriacKin said:
HanoverF said:

wut?

I'm in the apparently small, but correct minority that thinks Deus Ex sucked. And there wasn't much RP in SS2.
You're making it seem like there actually was RP in Bloodlines. Bloodlines is about as linear of an RPG as there is.

Pliskin

Arbiter
DriacKin said:
HanoverF said:
DriacKin said:
HanoverF said:

wut?

I'm in the apparently small, but correct minority that thinks Deus Ex sucked. And there wasn't much RP in SS2.
You're making it seem like there actually was RP in Bloodlines. Bloodlines is about as linear of an RPG as there is.

Aha! But you just admitted it was an RPG --- ergo, RP must be present! Just because it's linear, doesn't diminish the fact it is an RPG. DX and SS2, in the strictest sense, are not.

(Oh, and titz).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"ah right, forgot i'm talking to volourn. my bad man, totally mistook you for a sentient human being there. carry on."

Right.

So you are claiming that ARC's role-playing, TOEE's combat, and BL's writing cna't be improved in any fuckin' way? You are fuckin' retarted.

There is no such thing as perfection. FFS

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I think the princess has a point though, nothing is perfect.

Oh and both DX and Bloodlines are RPG's, but I'm undecided on SS2.

Murk

Arcane
Volourn said:
"ah right, forgot i'm talking to volourn. my bad man, totally mistook you for a sentient human being there. carry on."

Right.

So you are claiming that ARC's role-playing, TOEE's combat, and BL's writing cna't be improved in any fuckin' way? You are fuckin' retarted.

There is no such thing as perfection. FFS

oh i hear you man. i'm stopping the bullshits and starting the truths as we speak.

rouxfleh~

Dionysus

Scholar
DriacKin said:
HanoverF said:
DriacKin said:
HanoverF said:

wut?

No, the combat was too good for Deus Ex and SS2 to be RPGs. Bloodlines had bad combat, so it must have been an RPG.

Seriously though, SS2 and Deus Ex both did a better job of incorporating RPing elements consistently. Although I do have trouble thinking of SS2 as an action-RPG.

Cassidy

Arcane
System Shock 2 and Deus Ex have better gameplay than Bloodlines, and neither of them are CRPGs, but FPS+RPG hybrids with Bloodlines being a FPS+Third Person Action+RPG Hybrid. Measuring games by their genre has became sketchy in the 21st century.

The only thing that really sucked in Deus Ex was the how disappointing the stealth implementation was because of inept AI and the lack of a coded sound implementation by floor type that made those moss arrows handy in Thief series, specially as the comments the NPCs gave on being stealthy led me to draw immediate comparisons with Thief when I began playing it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Cassidy said:
System Shock 2 and Deus Ex have better gameplay than Bloodlines, and neither of them are CRPGs, but FPS+RPG hybrids with Bloodlines being a FPS+Third Person Action+RPG Hybrid. Measuring games by their genre has became sketchy in the 21st century.

The only thing that really sucked in Deus Ex was the how disappointing the stealth implementation was because of inept AI and the lack of a coded sound implementation by floor type that made those moss arrows handy in Thief series, specially as the comments the NPCs gave on being stealthy led me to draw immediate comparisons with Thief when I began playing it.

dude seriously, how many games give you the option to tell someone THEY ARE THEIR FUCKING PET TURTLE! System Shock 2? Nope. Deus Ex? Nope. FAIL.

Bloodlines FTW.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Jaesun said:
Cassidy said:

dude seriously, how many games give you the option to tell someone THEY ARE THEIR FUCKING PET TURTLE! System Shock 2? Nope. Deus Ex? Nope. FAIL.

Bloodlines FTW.

But Fable allows you to fart at people's direction. It's obviously the superior game.

Longshanks

Augur
Dionysus said:
DriacKin said:
HanoverF said:
DriacKin said:
HanoverF said:

wut?

No, the combat was too good for Deus Ex and SS2 to be RPGs. Bloodlines had bad combat, so it must have been an RPG.

Seriously though, SS2 and Deus Ex both did a better job of incorporating RPing elements consistently. Although I do have trouble thinking of SS2 as an action-RPG.
Deus Ex had good combat :shock:. Didn't think even the fanboys were that blind. VtmB's is actually better, though still not good.

Halo also did a better job of implementing RPing elements consistently (even more so than DE and SS2!). What kind of a bullshit statement is that?
VtmB had better roleplaying than both DE and SS2 (neither of which had all that much). Period. No need for bullshit qualifiers - the "consistency" of it is neither here nor there.

Dionysus

Scholar
Longshanks said:
Deus Ex had good combat :shock:. Didn't think even the fanboys were that blind. VtmB's is actually better, though still not good.
Bloodlines was pretty bad in comparison. AFAIK, there was no area-specific damage except for zombies. The weapon selection was incredibly lame. There were no grenades, mines, different ammo types, or splash-damage missile weapons. With the exception of a few bosses, the frictionless enemy design, thoughtless enemy placement, and often bland level design promoted mindless combat.

Longshanks said:
VtmB had better roleplaying than both DE and SS2 (neither of which had all that much). Period. No need for bullshit qualifiers - the "consistency" of it is neither here nor there.
Consistency is very important. The game doesn’t get a lot of points for dialog and stealth skills if it contains large mandatory parts that ignore dialog and subterfuge skills. There were some really good quests in Bloodlines, like the beach house quest in the beginning. But too many parts were ripped straight from Doom or Zelda with little consideration given to the character’s skills.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom