Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Does Bioware think we're all gay?

Achilles

Arcane
So I was sitting around with nothing to do and I started thinking about recent RPGs and their attitude towards sexuality. Then it hit me: While Mass Effect 2 is devoid of any gay undertones,Shepard is all macho and bangs anything with a vagina, Dragon Age has gay sex between men! Bioware said that Mass Effect 2 is mainly targeted at the console demographic, while Dragon Age was supposed to be a PC-oriented game (I said "supposed", nobody quote that and lol).

So this begs the question: Does Bioware think that PC gamers are a bunch of fat homos, while Xbox gamers are all manly and cool?
More importantly, are they right?

Please answer truthfully. There will be no shame.

Ermm

Erudite
Alexandros said:
So I was sitting around with nothing to do and I started thinking about recent RPGs and their attitude towards sexuality. Then it hit me: While Mass Effect 2 is devoid of any gay undertones,Shepard is all macho and bangs anything with a vagina, Dragon Age has gay sex between men! Bioware said that Mass Effect 2 is mainly targeted at the console demographic, while Dragon Age was supposed to be a PC-oriented game (I said "supposed", nobody quote that and lol).

So this begs the question: Does Bioware think that PC gamers are a bunch of fat homos, while Xbox gamers are all manly and cool?

Please answer truthfully. There will be no shame.

Maybe ask them yourself.

Melcar

Arcane
I think it speaks more on how Bioware makes their games. Gay faggot games for the PC, and edgy "macho" games for consoles.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Alexandros said:

Absolutely they're right.

Xbox has penetrated into the most acceptable subcultures of American society. Not just jocks and frat boys, but even professional athletes play Xbox. A theme of banging hot chicks would find wide acceptance there.

PC gamers are more likely to be nerds, and today's young nerds are quite often, sexually confused (with a sperm count 1/3rd of what their father had at their age), politically left wing and liable to be offended by things that are "heteronormative".

Bioware may be evil and may make awful games, but they're not stupid, they know their target audiences.

hoochimama

Liturgist
It has nothing to do with the codex, just cruise the bioboards for a while, straights are a minority.

KalosKagathos

Learned
PorkaMorka said:

Xbox has penetrated into the most acceptable subcultures of American society. Not just jocks and frat boys, but even professional athletes play Xbox. A theme of banging hot chicks would find wide acceptance there.

PC gamers are more likely to be nerds, and today's young nerds are quite often, sexually confused (with a sperm count 1/3rd of what their father had at their age), politically left wing and liable to be offended by things that are "heteronormative".

Bioware may be evil and may make awful games, but they're not stupid, they know their target audiences.
TBH, I found Gears of War to be gayer than Cho Aniki.

Nightjed

Liturgist
Alexandros said:
So I was sitting around with nothing to do and I started thinking about recent RPGs and their attitude towards sexuality. Then it hit me: While Mass Effect 2 is devoid of any gay undertones.

think again, Mordin offered to have sex with my male character... ugh, to think i liked that character until that point and they just had to go there, after that i kept thinking he always sounded too "attached" to his "work partners" and "assistants" so i switched him with Grunt

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
So the gay sex in ME 2 are mods?

Bioware initially targeted the PC with DA but that dissolved.

PorkaMorka said:

Suuuure

ss-fable_2_male_prostitute.jpg

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Nightjed said:
Alexandros said:
So I was sitting around with nothing to do and I started thinking about recent RPGs and their attitude towards sexuality. Then it hit me: While Mass Effect 2 is devoid of any gay undertones.

think again, Mordin offered to have sex with my male character... ugh, to think i liked that character until that point and they just had to go there, after that i kept thinking he always sounded too "attached" to his "work partners" and "assistants" so i switched him with Grunt

"If intended to try human, would try you."

Cassidy

Arcane
PorkaMorka said:

Since when was being an idiot unable to do complex thinking a requirement for manliness? In your logic, according to Bioware, which is "right", PC gamers are total losers and fags, the bottom of the gene pool in the planet featured by being both socially inept and retarded. Because the amount of hand-holding obviously implies they assume the sheer majority of their player base is retarded.

It's all shit anyway, regardless of what the braindead marketeers trying to cater to braindead customers think while alienating some customers that, not being mainstream cattle, simply don't exist in their eyes and the demand they generate is void and null, right?

And of course, Dragon Age is a dating sim with stats. Additional options are to be expected.

6/10 - I bothered to reply.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Cassidy said:
Since when was being an idiot unable to do complex thinking a requirement for manliness?

It's not a requirement, however the point is the more manly subcultures of society are comfortable with Xbox now, but not with PC gaming.

Cassidy said:
In your logic, according to Bioware, which is "right", PC gamers are total losers and fags, the bottom of the gene pool in the planet featured by being both socially inept and retarded..

As far as modern, high budget, mainstream PC gaming, I'd say that sounds about right. If it's smarter than console gaming, it's not smarter by much. It's basically console gaming, but for a less popular group of people.

Cassidy said:
It's all shit anyway, regardless of what the braindead marketeers trying to cater to braindead customers think while alienating some customers that, not being mainstream cattle, simply don't exist in their eyes and the demand they generate is void and null, right?

Well, it's a widely known fact that the average age of gamers is 33, so there are certainly plenty of older PC gamers (what new games they're playing, I have no idea) who wouldn't conform to these stereotypes, But despite this games are still mostly marketed to and designed for the young.

DraQ

Arcane
PorkaMorka said:
If so, they should at least inject their PC games with furfaggotry.

:P

Black

Arcane
That's not EXTREME enough according to my book.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom