Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Turn-based RPG...online?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Okay. I am sold.

OK, it's a persistent online game, what will it cost? Will there be monthly fee to play?
Tactica will cost a amount comparable to other games, and there will be no monthly subscription fee to play. Once you've purchased the game it will be free to play online. You will be able to purchase expansion sets on a regular basis to expand the world you play in, and the options available to you. Expansion sets will cost an amount comparable to other games.

I'm definitely buying this game when it comes out.

That's hard to imagine, what other games is it like?
Tactica was inspired by several things. Classic turn-based tactical games like FalloutTM and Jagged AllianceTM were a big influence, as were their modern relatives such as Silent StormTM and Temple of Elemental EvilTM. Equally as important were novels such as The Name of the Rose, with their ideas of hidden knowledge and hermetic texts. The art of Leonardo da Vinci, particularly his sketches of machinery and the human body, also played a large role in developing the setting and story. Finally, tabletop games, in particular collectible card games such as Magic: The GatheringTM and collectible miniatures games such as HeroclixTM, also played a big part.

Read the FAQ here: http://www.tacticaonline.com/faq.shtml

It'll bring a tear to your eye. It did to mine. Someone's obviously been reading my thoughts and coming up with my dream game.

PURE SEX.

Lady Armageddona

Liturgist
Exitium, you know, If I was a moderator round here, you would have been banned for unnecessary double posting (and therefore spamming) long, long time ago.
I am beginning to wonder why you haven't.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Because double posting isn't illegal here, and in any case I meant to delete the first one. We are not uptight bitches around the Codex.

Lady Armageddona

Liturgist
Well, I am no uptight, either, but this is ridiculous.
Besides, you are the only one who I have seen to do it. At least intentionally. No one else does. They probably visit other forums, where it is consider a BAD thing to double post. Therefore, you should have learned some basic forum manners, don't you think?

Back on topic - the game concept sounds nice enough. If it was not somewhat similar to a browser based game I am participating in creating, I would have found it even original.
I still might give it a try, though when it comes out.

Anyway, why is this topic in the RPG section, rather than where it should be - the MMORPG section?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Meh, VD does it all the time in his responses during debates. I don't hold him against it and I doubt anybody else does, either. It's just not a big deal, though I must apologise if my double post made you in any way unhappy at the 'mess'.

keeks

Novice
The game looks very interesting, many thanks to DemonKing for digging this up.

Surlent

Liturgist
Exitium bashing gets old..... :roll: It's not like he has even flip flopped recently.

But that game looks very interesting. I don't want to paint the devil on the wall here, but hope it gets its way to the store shelves instead of becoming another MMO got cancelled. It seems the game has just recently opened their webpage, at least news post dates are from this month and screens from aplha version. Might be while before it gets out.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
According to the FAQ the game may be released as early as Q4 this year, so I've got my fingers crossed and I'm hoping it meets this date, but I hope it doesn't get rushed or anything like that.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Lady Armageddona said:
Well, I am no uptight, either, but this is ridiculous.
Besides, you are the only one who I have seen to do it. At least intentionally. No one else does.

I have done so on many an occasion. I apologise most profusely.

Actually, no I don't, cos unlike most other forums we don't have carrots stuck up our collective arses.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Holy shit. It kinda sounds like a massively multiplayer game that Troika would have made (even down to the steampunk setting). I'm sold and I've never wanted to play a massively multiplayer game before. Kickass!

EDIT:Now that I read more, it has a Lionheart kind of feel to it instead of an Arcanum feel.

Fez

Erudite
If people don't give a shit about tubgirl or goatse, they won't care about a double post.

The game looks like it could be good. What's with all the good games on the horizon, are they trying to crack my hard shell of cynisism? :)

I hope I am bitterly disappointed. Cynicism is a warm blanket to me.

sInfernal

Novice
Tactica will cost a amount comparable to other games, and there will be no monthly subscription fee to play. Once you've purchased the game it will be free to play online. You will be able to purchase expansion sets on a regular basis to expand the world you play in, and the options available to you. Expansion sets will cost an amount comparable to other games.
Isn't that the same way Guild Wars is going to work?

I'm not sure that it's going to be net cheaper, though, as the plan may be to have expansion packs more often in order to balance out the lack of profit from a monthly subscription fee.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
The Sims gets by with an absolutely absurd amount of expansions. I haven't picked a year and averaged the cost of all expansions issued in a year out over 12 months, but I bet it's close to the 10/mo MMO money sink.

Human Shield

Augur
Looks great, it is like Guild Wars with less grind and no stupid AI fights:

My opponents in missions are other players, right?
That's right, every mission and battle you undertake, apart from the tutorials, is in opposition to other players.

It's entirely consensual PvP though: you can't attack people in the city itself, and you have to consciously choose to go on a mission in order to engage in combat, so there's no ganking or grief attacks possible. Combat takes place on a level playing field, and you'll always have a good chance to beat anyone you are matched against. See A Level Playing Field for more information.

Kick ass.

It is like LSN to the next level (and no monthly fee) or online JA2.

No wading through hours of repetitive gameplay just to get to the good stuff. No need to play one part of the game when you most enjoy another. We want you to keep playing because you're having fun, so we want to make sure you get straight to it.

You're able to compete with everyone else from the beginning, and there's no need to level up your characters just so you can see new content.

Just what I was looking for.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Guild Wars will only have an expansion pack released every 6 to 8 months and each pack will add up to 50-100% more content, according to ArenaNet. In any case, you don't have to buy them. Just owning the original copy is enough, and casual gamers who don't play much wouldn't suffer from any detriment if they opt out of owning the expansions. It's not like they stop you from playing or anything.

Lady Armageddona

Liturgist
Actually, Everquest far surpassed The Sims with the sheer number of its expansions, and EQ2 has the ability to, too, with both the expansions and its adventure packs.
Of Course, the Sims 2 is also a competitor in this thread, since a new expansion is already being scheduled at a twice per year, 6 months in between, basis, EQ 2 like, only I don't know if it is different teams working on them (EQ2 like again) or one and the same.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Lady Armageddona said:
Actually, Everquest far surpassed The Sims with the sheer number of its expansions, and EQ2 has the ability to, too, with both the expansions and its adventure packs.

I think The Sims had eight expansion packs. Has EQ had that many?

Of Course, the Sims 2 is also a competitor in this thread, since a new expansion is already being scheduled at a twice per year, 6 months in between, basis, EQ 2 like, only I don't know if it is different teams working on them (EQ2 like again) or one and the same.

They'll need to kick that production rate in to high gear, I'd think. University just came out, and Night Life is due out in the Fall. At two per year, it'd take them four years to get to the level of the first game at that rate. Since I doubt EA will be dumb enough to want a Sims2Online made, it shouldn't be hard to up that rate. ;)

Lady Armageddona

Liturgist
The Sims had 7 expansion packs (Livin' Large, House Party, Hot Date, Vacation, Unleashed, Superstar, Makin' Magic).
Everquest had 8 already - The Ruins of Kunark (March 2000), The Scars of Velious (December 2000), The Shadows of Luclin (December 2001), The Planes of Power (October 2002), The Legacy of Ykesha (March 2003), the Lost Dungeons of Norrath (September 2003), Gates of Discord (February 2004), and Omens of War (September 2004, and the 9th one is coming out soon - Dragons of Norrath. And that probably won't be the last.
However, Sims is still numbering quite high (if not on top) with the different bundles, deluxe editions and the like, while I cannot say anything of the kind for EQ since it is a game I am not following much as far as news go. (the sims got more coverage, since it is a best seller title and its different expansions and deluxe editions were offte, if not still present in the top seller's charts, US especially. I hardly remember seeing EQ ever in it, though I may be wrong)

Fez

Erudite
EQ had an assload of bundles of the expansions and original game - gold packs, platinum packs, etc., as well as the individual titles. They must be as numerous as The Sims, at least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom