Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Cyclopean Dev Update

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Cyclopean

Scott posted some <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,1451.0.html">rendered ingame images</a> of his RPG. Seems as if he's making progress and as far as I can tell his game will have barns and shacks. I always liked those.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">Developer peer pressure finally got to me and I decided to post some more 3D models. I shifted from producing 10,000 tiny props to building exteriors to use in Arkham. A result of shifting my focus away from the writing has been new inspiration. I've been returning to the master quest doc and refining and improving what has long been written.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,1451.0.html">ITS</A>

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Jarl was bitching in the other thread about the fact that nobody is posting here.

I'm just posting to shut him up.

Derper

Prophet
Looking forward to using my super-duper pitchfork of dark magic on some zombies.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Jarl was bitching in the other thread about the fact that nobody is posting here.

I'm just posting to shut him up.

*jumps the bandwagon*

The models look a bit too simple, almost like origami.

But seriously, who cares about house models in an indie game? Is this really worth a newspost/discussion?

Derper

Prophet
What's that Lassie? Are there zombies in the barn? And one fell down the well?

Konjad said:
release date
whenpigsfly.gif

Project: Eternity
Cyclopean is the title for a turn-based RPG project currently in production by Team Omega under Iron Tower Studio. The game is inspired by, and to a large extent based on, the stories and mythos of Howard Phillips Lovecraft, and takes place in 1923 Western Massachusetts.

I chose the name Cyclopean because it was arguably Lovecraft’s favourite adjective, meaning “big” in the context of his stories, not “one-eyed”. I like the way it sounds and I don’t want to call the game “Shadow Over Arkham”, “Look Out, It’s Cthulhu!” or something else entirely predictable and lame.

The player starts out in Lovecraft’s most famous fictional location, Arkham. Over the course of the game the player will travel to several other locations in and under the State of Massachusetts, and come in contact with cultists, law enforcement, hapless citizens, shadowy organizations, criminals, otherworldly creatures, and if he’s lucky, horrors beyond imagining. The game will concentrate on baroque, quality writing in Lovecraft’s style, thrilling dialogue, and stimulating turn-based combat versus people and other things. Emphasis will be placed on quests with many possible solutions and outcomes. Players will not be restricted to fighting evil, but may ally themselves with those who wish to bring back the Great Old Ones, as well as various other organizations. Details to follow. The player will also be able to add up to three, player-controlled NPC followers during the game.

A concern already raised is that Lovecraft’s canon does not suit itself to a computer game. I think the locations, creatures and atmosphere established by Lovecraft are entirely adaptable, not just as a colourful background to the same tired old RPG themes, but as an entire game experience. Any established body of work translated to a computer game, or any other form of media, will have to be bent somewhat to accommodate its new form. It is my belief that a more faithful translation of Lovecraft’s world can be implemented as a fun and worthwhile CRPG.

Finally, here are a few things which will not be in Cyclopean: immortal and chatty NPC’s with abandonment issues, elves, giant rats, sewers, black and red hellscapes, and Monty Python references.

Fuck year, Lovecraftian RPG. Sounds tasty.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Freelance Henchman said:
Cyclopean is the title for a turn-based RPG project currently in production by Team Omega under Iron Tower Studio. The game is inspired by, and to a large extent based on, the stories and mythos of Howard Phillips Lovecraft, and takes place in 1923 Western Massachusetts.

I chose the name Cyclopean because it was arguably Lovecraft’s favourite adjective, meaning “big” in the context of his stories, not “one-eyed”. I like the way it sounds and I don’t want to call the game “Shadow Over Arkham”, “Look Out, It’s Cthulhu!” or something else entirely predictable and lame.

The player starts out in Lovecraft’s most famous fictional location, Arkham. Over the course of the game the player will travel to several other locations in and under the State of Massachusetts, and come in contact with cultists, law enforcement, hapless citizens, shadowy organizations, criminals, otherworldly creatures, and if he’s lucky, horrors beyond imagining. The game will concentrate on baroque, quality writing in Lovecraft’s style, thrilling dialogue, and stimulating turn-based combat versus people and other things. Emphasis will be placed on quests with many possible solutions and outcomes. Players will not be restricted to fighting evil, but may ally themselves with those who wish to bring back the Great Old Ones, as well as various other organizations. Details to follow. The player will also be able to add up to three, player-controlled NPC followers during the game.

A concern already raised is that Lovecraft’s canon does not suit itself to a computer game. I think the locations, creatures and atmosphere established by Lovecraft are entirely adaptable, not just as a colourful background to the same tired old RPG themes, but as an entire game experience. Any established body of work translated to a computer game, or any other form of media, will have to be bent somewhat to accommodate its new form. It is my belief that a more faithful translation of Lovecraft’s world can be implemented as a fun and worthwhile CRPG.

Finally, here are a few things which will not be in Cyclopean: immortal and chatty NPC’s with abandonment issues, elves, giant rats, sewers, black and red hellscapes, and Monty Python references.

Fuck year, Lovecraftian RPG. Sounds tasty.
So will this be released the Thursday following the Thursday AoD is released? Because I want both they do half the stuff the devs are promising.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Droog White Smile said:
The models look a bit too simple, almost like origami.
(1) the prop houses and barn are background pieces, what you would see at the edge of certain maps, and not at street level. The player won't get all that close.
acceptable, imo.

screeg

Arcane
Developer
I had forgotten to post the grocer's storefront, and it was the post in this thread lamenting all the barn and shack images that reminded me.

Thanks, Codex!

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
screeg said:
I had forgotten to post the grocer's storefront, and it was the post in this thread lamenting all the barn and shack images that reminded me.

Thanks, Codex!

Hi Scott! :P

We aim to please! :wink:

Cassidy

Arcane
It's better to focus completely over the development of one game at a time, specially for a small indie studio. The time spent doing such renders could've been dedicated to Age of Decadence's development, for example.

Just my 2 cents.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
I know Droog has 'ignored' me, but he honestly is the biggest bitch here. Would you shut the fuck up already?

kris

Arcane
Cassidy said:
It's better to focus completely over the development of one game at a time, specially for a small indie studio. The time spent doing such renders could've been dedicated to Age of Decadence's development, for example.

Just my 2 cents.

From what I gather there are different people doing different things. and they say they only gain by pooling resources.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom