Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unable to acess website

empi

Augur
Hey, at the moment I cannot view any area of the site without using a proxy. It is disturbing my stalking, I just get an internet explorer cannot display the message, and it has been happening for about 2 days with no acess watsoever. Any possible solutions? Thanks

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I know this is going to sound weird, but I periodically get redirected (from the Codex, only from the Codex) to some weird site, stonedcliff5.com or whatever.

Anyone else seeing this? Happens about once every 2 - 3 days, just clears itself up. Two different PC's, two different providers.

Edit: Clarified.

Jason

chasing a bee
I know this is going to sound weird, but I periodically get redirected (from the Codex, only from the Codex) to some weird site, stonedcliff5.com or whatever.

Anyone else seeing this? Happens about once every 2 - 3 days, just clears itself up. Two different PC's, two different providers.

Yep, I've been seeing that too. It's trying to get to:
http://stonecliff5.com/stop.php

Anybody else?

empi

Augur
Using firefox I get the following error:

The connection has timed out
The server at www.rpgcodex.com is taking too long to respond.

I'll download opera and try that in the morning

ElectricOtter

I got that Stonecliff thing too a couple days ago, but I though I was just drunk or high or something so I didn't worry about it too much

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
empi said:

I get this periodically too. It "hangs" for thirty second then shows the "timed out"-thing. Usually it goes away after 2 or 3 minutes.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I had one user report it on SP too, so I'm assuming it's one of the ads... the problem is, no one seems to have figured out which one it is yet. The only way to get to the bottom of this is to keep track of ads when you do encounter it... or rather before that. That would narrow it down enough so that I can kill those ads that are creating this interference.

The problem is, I've never encountered this problem and neither have most people I asked, so it's limited in scope, which makes it even harder to track down.

So those of you who had this happen, can you please make screenshots of the ads as this happens to you? The urls of where the ads point to would be very helpful as well...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Taluntain said:
Grunker said:
empi said:

I get this periodically too. Usually it goes away after 2 or 3 minutes.
That's us backing up your spam. It's unrelated to this problem.

Oh. Well, you live and you learn.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Anything that Google throws up on the issue currently is not helpful beyond indicating that it does happen elsewhere as well.

The ads do a lot of good actually. Paying the bills ranks pretty high on the scale of goodness. But every now and then a problematic one slips in that is hard to eliminate, in which case the sooner that we can identify it, the better.

And good grief, you don't need to start blocking ads just because you read this thread. The problem is an annoyance, nothing else. It also doesn't happen for the majority of people because it's obviously one of the lesser displayed ads. I've never encountered it, which makes it even harder to track down.

We have had so many malicious ads before that I honestly see no reason to NOT block the ads.

It's not like the Codex will ever go down.

Jason

chasing a bee
If some folks were willing to temporarily turn off their adblockers here, we could track this down and kill it a lot quicker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom