Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity 2 is a piece of shit

DraQ

Arcane
You mean, like PST?

143_Pyll.gif

Oh.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
The game's combination of humour, atmosphere, distance to itself, awesome music and art direction (plus not being an actual cRPG) reminds me of Anachronox.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Are you serious?

Bear in mind I never played any of the Divinities but if there's any way you can associate these 2 games I'm dropping everything and getting Divinity 2 RIGHT NOW.

Come to think of it, doesn't
the art direction, the writing and the superb voice acting (...), the beautiful soundtrack, but there's so many things wrong with this game.
happens to perfectly describe PST we all know and love?
The first game I think of when I see this is Anachronox actually. I RAGED so hard at the game yet all the good things were so good that I couldn't stop playing (and raging). I guess this confirms your earlier association...

Should I try and get Divinity 1 first or skip it and start with the 2nd?

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
DraQ said:
The game's combination of humour, atmosphere, distance to itself, awesome music and art direction (plus not being an actual cRPG) reminds me of Anachronox.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Are you serious?
The way you ask it?
No.

It's not nearly in the same league, and the association is quite distant (mind you, Anox was pure Douglas Adams grade stuff). Still, it has pretty similar overall vibe, thanks to it's mixture of the aforementioned elements - this game doesn't take itself seriously, and doesn't feel forced. It has the kind of distance Anox (or Wizardry 8, for that matter) had, which gives it very specific charm.

If you liked the common part of Anox and Wiz8 (distance), like humour in games that doesn't consist of endless running gags, but nevertheless its presence is distinctly palpable all the time, can just sit back and enjoy beautiful music and art direction and don't mind playing something that is insufficiently diverse Diablo clone mixed with a TPP game in the meantime, you are bound to enjoy it.
Otherwise, you may find it unenjoyable.

It's not some kind of Anox's spiritual successor of HnS land, far from it, you won't get another "drifting in space" cutscene or Rho Bowman going "Well that sucks." or Detta's thug brutalizing Boots, but Anox's specific vibe, a combination of humour and distance to itself, is nevertheless present in it.

Mind the performance issues, shitty DRM and visual inconsistency in form of floaty loot bags.

Monocause

Arcane
Gameplay isn't shit, it's bearable. I guess less patient people can be annoyed by the tower-shooting minigame, but if that's the case you can just lower the difficulty or use cheats and stroll through it.

How about Arcanum? I stomached the flying fortresses better than the BMC mines, you know. Actually, Div2 combat is miles better and more enjoyable than what Arcanum has to offer. How come you don't consider Arcanum shit, eh?

Felix

Arcane
The major problem I has with Divinity is even at high framerate, it's never feel smooth and make my head dizzy after a while.

Gamebryo is such a shitty engine.

DraQ

Arcane
Felix said:
The major problem I has with Divinity is even at high framerate, it's never feel smooth and make my head dizzy after a while.
Tried turning off this whole "time slicing" mistake?
Granted, I'm not getting high framerate in the first place, but animations and everything update as smoothly as the framerate allows in my case.

Any way to disable motion blur, BTW? I imagine it would kick the framerate up a notch or ten, plus improved visual clarity would be a plus.

Also, have anyone hacked some solution to center the camera on the character properly, especially in dragon mode?

Finally, is there any way to make screenshots natively in the game and does some music ripper for it exist?

Gamebryo is such a shitty engine.
Yes, at least Div2 uses it to actually look impressive, rather than just bloomy, blurry and specular.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Monocause said:
Gameplay isn't shit, it's bearable. I guess less patient people can be annoyed by the tower-shooting minigame, but if that's the case you can just lower the difficulty or use cheats and stroll through it.

I beg to differ. I busted out cheats in the hope that it would get me through those sections with minimal pain, but even cheats don't help mask the shitty control scheme or the sheer tedium of it all.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Repetitive, long, tedious, shitty. Not difficult. Cheats sped things up a bit, but not enough to keep me from uninstalling the turd.

Monocause

Arcane
Well, you still could get killed. Cheats would allow you to go straight for the generators and then to proper teleporters. I reckon that with cheats the three fortresses I did would be doable in about 3-4 minutes depending on the loading times :D Without cheats you have to avoid fire, take out defences and work for XP.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Monocause said:
Well, you still could get killed. Cheats would allow you to go straight for the generators and then to proper teleporters. I reckon that with cheats the three fortresses I did would be doable in about 3-4 minutes depending on the loading times :D Without cheats you have to avoid fire, take out defences and work for XP.

Oh, shit, don't remind me. Fucking shit engine; fucking Larian with their incompetence.

DraQ

Arcane
The fortresses weren't long. You could just fly around flashing the towers and gens, then go beat the main bad. If you kept moving and went for things like lighting towers first, it was a breeze.

Was dragon combat good? No, but it didn't require much time.

After getting fucked up in the beginning and with the exception of Laiken and Barnabus, I hardly had any problems with not dying in this game, so loading times were mostly irrelevant (with the exception of having to reload to flush the leaky engine and make game run properly again after it started grinding).

The thing it could really use is a good manual, though, I still don't know what's the difference between normal and magic damage, some skill development tables would also help, as the skills develop in highly non-linear manner.

Repressed Homosexual
So true, Divinity 2 was fucking fantastic. I didn't mind its rough edges one bit. As for the original post, well it mostly worked the same way in DivDiv. Divinity 2 is a 3D iteration of DivDiv's mechanics, no more, no less. I enjoyed it more than Risen. I haven't played such a game teeming with personality and color in ages.

I'm sooo hyped for the expansion pack!

DraQ

Arcane
Humanity has risen! said:
So true, Divinity 2 was fucking fantastic. I didn't mind its rough edges one bit. As for the original post, well it mostly worked the same way in DivDiv. Divinity 2 is a 3D iteration of DivDiv's mechanics, no more, no less. I enjoyed it more than Risen. I haven't played such a game teeming with personality and color in ages.

I'm sooo hyped for the expansion pack!
Keyword in red.

It takes more than shadurz and bloom to make a good game.

I thoroughly enjoyed Div2 despite it's rather glaring shortcomings, like dragon flight and combat being not nearly cool enough*, or most of the skills being 'meh' if useful (an exception would be the ridiculously over the top ability that let you close the distance with ludicrous speed, which felt very cool).
This game just oozed personality and atmosphere and I will be happy to buy the expansion to let it unfold further.

(ASMD CDA, once :obviously: gaming rag.)

*) Obviously, the game that did the whole dragon might thing extremely right was The I of The Dragon, while Drakan allowed for greater freedom of movement. It would also be useful if some game would allow us, apart from using breath arsenal and array of powerful spells, to tear shit up physically. Some minor aerodynamics would also be cool - not for realism (duh), but to emphasize the feeling of flight and enrich the tactics. For example diving to gain speed, gliding, banking, not being able to stop instantly, etc.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Had a gift card and didnt see anything else I wanted to I picked this game up for free.

Definitely like the art direction, it has a fairy tale\folk tale look to it that makes it unique to so many of the 3D Action RPG's coming out now.

Haven't played very much yet, but my god could combat in games get any worse? Its just a damn click fest, doesn't appear you can even block. I dont have a shield yet but Im going to assume you cannot activitely block with one?

Also, anyone know how to do a screen shot in game? Doesn't appear that you can.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Writing in this game is at the level of Oblivion. World is retarded, sotry is retarded, graphic is overbloomified.

Shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom