Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Man behind ADOM @ Temple of the Roguelike

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Ancient Domains of Mystery

And now for something which completely slipped under our radar: there's an interview with Thomas Biskup, the creator of <a href="http://www.adom.de">ADOM</a>, which some still consider to be one of the best rogulikes, at the Temple of the Roguelike: <a href="http://www.roguetemple.com/interviews/thomas-biskup-interview-1/">Part 1</a> and <a href="http://www.roguetemple.com/interviews/thomas-biskup-adom-part-2/">Part 2</a>. If you're like me, you may be eager to read something about the guy behind the game you lost a couple of hundreds of hours on. Two tidbits ("SZ" is Santiago Zapata, the interviewer): <blockquote>
<br>
SZ: Have you won ADOM (lawfully?)?
<br>
<br>
TB: No, never. I never had the time for that ;-) Basically I rise pretty easily to levels 15-18 and then I need to concentrate. Usually I die because I’m an impatient player ;-)
<br>
<br>
(...)
<br>
<br>
SZ: Did you play Fallout’s latest version? how would you compare it with the first one (Wasteland)?
<br>
<br>
TB: I’ve never played Fallout (any version) so I can’t comment.</blockquote>
<br>
Read the <a href="http://www.roguetemple.com/interviews/thomas-biskup-interview-1/">whole thing</a> to find out more e.g. about the troubles with developing an ADOM version for iPhone.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>The Idiot</b>!

Hory

Erudite
Re: The Man behind ADOM @ Temple of the Rogulike

B: I’ve never played Fallout (any version) so I can’t comment.
This is the key to understanding dungeon crawler developers.

:smug:

Re: The Man behind ADOM @ Temple of the Rogulike

Hory said:
B: I’ve never played Fallout (any version) so I can’t comment.
This is the key to understanding dungeon crawler developers.

:smug:

You can point that :smug: right back at you. ADOM is probably the one and only roguelike that has a plausible claim to NOT being a dungeon crawler.

Sure you can play it as one, and there's even an 'infinite dungeon' available early on if you want a pure dungeon-crawling game. But actually winning the game - especially on the various 'super' endings, i.e. the ones where you try to achieve godhood and so on, are heavily quest-based and require hopping between different parts of the world map, and in some cases require a fair bit of meta-strategy that goes beyond the simple 'clear and explore' of dungeoncrawling.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I wouldn't call URW a dungeon crawler either for example, but your basic point is strong, yes. ADOM is almost too awesome to be a roguelike.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
It reminds me that I have to send a postcard to him.

I think this interview was newsposted a few months ago...

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Downloaded it, run it, began playing, played half a minute and died in fight with several dogs.

aleph

Arcane
Konjad said:
Downloaded it, run it, began playing, played half a minute and died in fight with several dogs.

Your point? This is how roguelikes work, if you are not careful (or have bad luck) you die. They are not for a casual experience.

mariodonick

Novice

I think ADOM is rather difficult for somebody who never played a roguelike before.

I'd start with some easier roguelikes first, such as Angband, or Powder, or even Nethack (and LambdaRogue, of course :twisted: )

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
ADOM is probably the best roguelike for a beginner - it can provide years of satisfying gameplay and has a lot of interesting content.

Also, roguelikes are probably the most casual cRPGs - you can just sit and play. You don't have to get frustrated about repeating the same fight over and over again like in some other cRPGs and you don't have to deal with the same dialogues, identical non-combat quests, etc. when restarting.

About the dog - it's important to not get surrounded, avoid it if you can.
Elves are pretty easy to start with. Elven warrior start with an Elven Chain mail, which gives 5PV without any penalties.

mariodonick

Novice
Hm, I found Adom very confusing and also died very often. It got better once I accustomed myself to the whole roguelike concept with Angband.

Elwro

Arcane
Yeah, at first I was unhappy with being slain by a "giant frog somewhere in a misty swamp" or dying from starvation. It takes some effort to get acquainted with the game... but it's worth it imho.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
mariodonick said:
Hm, I found Adom very confusing and also died very often. It got better once I accustomed myself to the whole roguelike concept with Angband.
Does Angband have towns, quests, etc?

Elwro

Arcane
I only remember one town from Angband. The game's so different from ADOM I can't really say why being good at one should increase your chances of being good at the other.

mariodonick

Novice
No, Angband (the vanilla one) has nothing but that generic town with some shops -- when I say "easy", I refer to the chances of surviving the first ten dungeon levels or so, without knowing much about the game -- it is possible to just hack'n'slash through the first levels, and you don't have to care about quests and NPCs -- both can be confusing. Of course it all depends on the personal preferences.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Which is why it's bad for a first roguelike. Quests and towns give a reason for going into the dungeons and killing stuff.

mariodonick

Novice
But this give a false impression about the roguelike genre in general, which only rarely have quests and towns, esp. not in the partly static way ADOM does.

Not that I don't like quests etc. -- but it's a bit untypical for most roguelikes.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I didn't like most of roguelikes that I've played. ADOM was practically the only one which I really liked, mainly because it has quests, towns, secrets, etc.
Maybe it made other roguelikes look sub-par, but I played it for several years, so it was worth it.

One the other hand if someone tries other roguelike and then finds it not worth playing because it's all about hack & slash and gets put off the whole genre...

mariodonick

Novice
Well, the perhaps you only like the visual / look and feel of a typical roguelike, but not the game mechanics. Instead, you prefer classical RPG with random elements. That's totally fine ;)

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Not really. ADOM's quests and towns are still just a small part of the game and dialogues are practically non-existent.
I just dislike dungeons. I like to be able to travel the wilderness and visit towns/cities.
Actually, a roguelike set in a crime-infested city could be pretty interesting. With huge apartment blocks instead of dungeons...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom