Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The 4 Most Baffling Live Action Role Plays

Secretninja

Cipher
There were some faggots larping in the quad as I came back from the library just now. This super creepy goth chick was hiding behind a trash can and a (comparably) normal looking dude seemed to be looking for her. So I naturally pointed her out to him and he shot her with a bow and arrow made of that foam shit. It was pretty fucking funny.

Luzur

Good Sir
Secretninja said:
There were some faggots larping in the quad as I came back from the library just now. This super creepy goth chick was hiding behind a trash can and a (comparably) normal looking dude seemed to be looking for her. So I naturally pointed her out to him and he shot her with a bow and arrow made of that foam shit. It was pretty fucking funny.

should have LARP'ed rape instead, both of you on her.

roll-a-die

Magister
Secret ninja I think that might have been assassin. Which is more of a "LAPvP" game than a "LARP." Basically people who sign up are assassins and have to hunt a target. The trick is the person doesn't know who they are being hunted by and also have targets of there own. You get shot, you die and are eliminated. Games can and usually do last months at a time. With people coming up with different plans and subplots and forming power groups. We had a group at Stanford going for a while, when I attended in the mid-late 90s.
Often the winner gets a prize like an IPod or a video game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin_%28game%29

Your problems are settled with fictional killing rather than a dice roll.

Secretninja

Cipher
I don't think it was anywhere near that involved. There were other people fighting with foam swords, I think she was just trying to get the drop on them, and the archer dude didn't want to shoot his swordfighting compatriots or something. Honestly, I could see it being sort of fun but the people who generally do that shit tend to try way to hard to not conform to society and such. It would be pretty frickin sweet to be involved in a campus wide battle of subterfuge and sneakery, but I can't be assed to associate with people who dress like that.

roll-a-die

Magister
Ah if there were other people fighting with swords I doubt it was assassin unless the campus really fucked up the rules.

In assassin you would be more likely to set up a routine for a week of watching someone go about their routine and then shooting them with a mid to high power water/airsoft rifle from the roof of a parking garage as they walk towards their work place.

Secretninja

Cipher
roll-a-die said:
Ah if there were other people fighting with swords I doubt it was assassin unless the campus really fucked up the rules.

In assassin you would be more likely to set up a routine for a week of watching someone go about their routine and then shooting them with a mid to high power water/airsoft rifle from the roof of a parking garage as they walk towards their work place.

That would be epic. I however, spent a weekend in jail because of a water gun related incident in high school. Times have changed, mang.

roll-a-die

Magister
In california as long as you have a bright orange tip on the gun and don't cause anyone injury with it the cops can't do a damn thing. Most games nowadays probably make you sign a waiver that basically states that "you assert that you will not sue or take legal actions against the school or the coordinator/s of the event in question if any injuries what so ever occur." and since most college students are 18 and over they can sign it and have it be valid with without parental consent/signature.

The water gun incident was likely a case of you either injuring a student or violating a school code(IE no gun or gun like objects on campus) or having the potential to injure a student.

Schools take the possibility of them being liable for injury very seriously. Because you were a minor then, they were liable for the damages you did while in their custody. Should that thing have had acid in it and you spayed it on the wall or X/y forbid another human. You would have been sent to jail for longer and they would have that as a PERMANENT black mark on their record, just as it would be on yours. As it was they basically did that to put the fear of the invisible purple Jewish unicorn in you.

Basically once you are in college if you actually talk calmly to the cop, and say "Hey, this gun is fake, as you can likely tell from the bright orange tip. I'm playing a game with a group of friends from college called assassin. Basically you play the role of hit-men taking on each other. It's completely safe and clean fun. No more dangerous then football. I'm currently waiting the ambush my... 'Target'. If you let me put in a call I'll get one of the professors or TA's overseeing this game out here. He or she can explain it to you." Most the cop is going to do is take the fake gun for a few, check your IDs and possibly wait for the professor or TA. Maybe put you into cuffs and take you over to whatever the local precinct is to wait. Least he's going to do is chuckle, nod and walk off to finish his patrol.

People have experiences like yours in High school and think cops are out to get them. Or are assholes, when all a cop generally wants to do is see to it that people are safe. He'll arrest drug addicts and users because that person is a danger to itself, and thus not safe. He'll take kids to jail because of incidents like yours because it asserts to other kids that they are safe and that if they do something wrong they will be taken to make the others safe.

Most kids nowadays consider that assish behavior and to them it is. But to people like me, who are older, it shows that they are still trying to keep people safe.

Tails

Arbiter
I never liked the Fantasy/Gladiators or Vampire LARPS, but a Zombie LARP with a proper ASG or Paintball would be awesome, same for Post-Apocalyptic. Running with plastic toys is pretty lolzy thought.

Secretninja

Cipher
It takes a special kind of asshole to be a cop. My last run in with the police was them harassing my dad because "his headlights are round" in our garage. Apparently someone with round headlights was parked on the side of the road about 3 miles from my house, so of course the cops followed my mom and dad home from dinner and made them sit in our garage while he ran my dads information. When the cop produced a taser and pointed at my mom when she got out of the car to enter her own home, I called 911 and said there was a crazy man with a gun in my driveway. It was pretty lulzy when 3 more squadcars showed up.

Moral of this story, don't have round headlights or you are obviously a dangerous individual.

roll-a-die

Magister
Incoming tl;dr

Wow, that's really weird, all my experiences with cops have been pretty good. Even when I get pulled over for speeding, they'll generally write a ticket for less than what I was going. Hell, one time I was going 130 down a freeway, and the cop wrote the ticket for 85. I wanna know how you guys get asshole cops, where every one of them I meet is perfectly nice, curt and proper. Even LA cops I've met won't give you a hard time unless you're doing something really bad.

There are also different explanations than "don't have round headlights." It's possible a car matching the description had been involved in an armed robbery near by. Or that a car had been stolen, and they hadn't gotten the plate number for the stolen car yet. Or that a car had been reported that matched the description which had been involved in a drive-by. All this comes to the whole keeping people safe. If you thought these people had been involved in a robbery or a drive-by would you let them walk into the house to possibly get a gun/weapon.

Or it's possible that the cop hadn't met his quota in a few weeks and was facing getting fired. So he was desperate to make a ticket or an arrest. So he could keep feeding his family.

Thinking about things pragmatically and objectively is something I think more people need to learn. There are so many different possible situations that if we merely focus on ourselves and what going to happen or is happening to ourselves. We lose track of the bigger picture, which is that other people have problems that lead them to making mistakes or taking actions as well. If you open your mind to the bigger picture it's not "Oh that fucker gave me a ticket nothing. That fucking utter cock sucking bastard. I don't deserve this fucking ticket." It's more of an "Oh that guy just gave me a ticket, he may have had a reason. Oh well time to pay this..."

Another thing about cops and tickets. Is that once they've written a ticket they HAVE to deliver it. You can't throw away a ticket because IIRC it's considered perjury. And can cost a cop allot of money and possible suspension/firing.

Things to remember about cops, they can't come within the threshold of your home without permission or a reasonable excuse, E.G. seeing a gun, smelling weed/meth or seeing a dirty syringe. They can't come into your home if the object in question is merely suspected(as in 'I think there's drugs or a body in here') to be in the home unless they have a warrant.

Anything you say can be taken as evidence for a warrant, anything you deny can not. So if you refuse to let them into your home, they can't take that as evidence against you to gain a warrant. But if they see drugs or explosives or you tell them about drugs or explosives, they can force their way in with or without a warrant. The garage provided it has a door is considered a threshold. As is the backyard provided it's gated/fenced off.

As soon as you let them in the door either implicitly or explicitly they have full permission to search your house as if they had a warrant. Letting them into the backyard does not count has letting them into the house proper.

They can spot search a car, but can't spot search houses without warrants.

Should your car be in the garage and they have a warrant to search it they may search the car and only the car. If they try to search your garage or house you are perfectly within your rights to throw them out onto their ass's. Just tell them they violated the terms of the warrant. I would suggest you move it out of the garage for them to search it.

If you open the door you implicitly agree to a line of sight search if anything is spotted illegal in that line of sight search, they can come in with or without your permission.

They have the right to arrest/hold you for 24 hours if they consider you a threat to yourself or others. If they consider you a major threat to your self or others after 24 they can put you into a psychiatric ward for up to 60 days. With the possibility to renew it after 50 days should you not be getting better. Should you not be criminal offender this should come out of the states pocket.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom