Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FO3 DLC with Codex Seal of Approval

Texas Red

Whiner
I read Jarlfrank's impressions on the DLCs which ranged from negative to describing the DLCs as basically retarded, in particular that alien one. Are any of them actually worth "buying" or should I stick with the vanilla version?

Texas Red

Whiner
-=DarlSephiroth666=- said:
You'll enjoy all the DLCs if you enjoyed the base game.

I liked The Pitt the best, then Point Lookout.

More info please. If they focus on combat, I won't bother. If they have dialogs and such I would be interested.

Dark Individual said:

More info please. If they focus on combat, I won't bother. If they have dialogs and such I would be interested.
The Pitt easily has the best dialog/atmosphere out of all the DLCs. That's why I like it so much.

Anyway, might as well give a brief overview of the DLCs:

Operation Anchorage: beautiful graphics, the first mission is amazing for sneaky characters, it's possible to kill everyone without them noticing you, and you get a stealthy companion as well. Still, 2/3s of the DLC is a shooting fest. Also, you get the best stealth gear at the end of the DLC (it's so good that it even kinda breaks the game).

The Pitt: very nicely done, brutal post-apocalyptic atmosphere. Lots of interesting dialog (with some raw language) and gray moral choices. Rather short, though.

Broken Steel: fucks up the game's balance by raising the level cap to 30 and giving you many very powerful perks (one of the level 30 perks raises all your SPECIAL stats to 9). Adds a few very tough monsters that look out of place. Expands the ending, adding a small expansion to the main storyline with 3 "main" quests and 3 optional quests. The new quests mostly feature large scale combat with the Enclave.

Point Lookout: adds a new area with its own worldmap, main quest and optional quests. Lots of exploration. Tough enemies.

Mothership Zeta: a lot of action and phat loot.

Multi-headed Cow

Since you said "Buying" instead of buying get all of them and play all of them if you liked Fallout 3 at all. Except possibly Zeta and Anchorage.

Kron

Arcane
Darl Sephiroth666 said:
The Pitt easily has the best dialog/atmosphere out of all the DLCs. That's why I like it so much.

Operation Anchorage: beautiful graphics, the first mission is amazing for sneaky characters, it's possible to kill everyone without them noticing you, and you get a stealthy companion as well. Still, 2/3s of the DLC is a shooting fest. Also, you get the best stealth gear at the end of the DLC (it's so good that it even kinda breaks the game).

The Pitt: very nicely done, brutal post-apocalyptic atmosphere. Lots of interesting dialog (with some raw language) and gray moral choices. Rather short, though.

Broken Steel: fucks up the game's balance by raising the level cap to 30 and giving you many very powerful perks (one of the level 30 perks raises all your SPECIAL stats to 9). Adds a few very tough monsters that look out of place. Expands the ending, adding a small expansion to the main storyline with 3 "main" quests and 3 optional quests. The new quests mostly feature large scale combat with the Enclave.

Point Lookout: adds a new area with its own worldmap, main quest and optional quests. Lots of exploration. Tough enemies.

Welcome to the new codex

Kron

Arcane
There was no game balance to begin with (combat shotguns FTW), and not a thing in the whole fucking game world looked like it fitted; there was absolutely no coherence at all.
BTW, if you can't stand being bashed, get back to the kitchen.

CrimHead

Scholar
Dark Individual said:

Please, PLEASE get the fuck out.

LOLOLOL LOOK AT THOSE FAGGOTS ENJOYING FALLOUT 3 WHAT DUM RETARDS HAHAHA I ONLY PLAY GAMES FROM THE 90S THEY WERE MADE FOR INTELLIGENT GAMERS SUCH AS MYSELF

dipdipdip

Liturgist
The only DLC I really liked was Point Lookout. It was the most inspired and pretty much inarguably the best value for your money.

Nothing was implemented well in Broken Steel, making it pretty crappy, in my opinion. You get a highly-forgettable new main quest, quick, shallow side quests that may as well not have been added, lame perks, and a really crappy "fix" to the main game's poor ending. The only thing I liked was the new enemies.

The Pitt had a really interesting moral choice to be made, but not much consequence to back it up -- in a, "Oh, something will come of your actions -- EVENTUALLY" cop-out-y sort of way.

OA had some nice loot , and I skipped Zeta, seeing that it was going to be horse shit from a mile away.

CrimHead

Scholar
LOLOLOL LOOK AT THOSE FAGGOTS ENJOYING FALLOUT 3 WHAT DUM RETARDS HAHAHA I ONLY PLAY GAMES FROM THE 90S THEY WERE MADE FOR INTELLIGENT GAMERS SUCH AS MYSELF

By any standard, Drog, Fallout 3 is a shitty game. As I see it, FO3 is an amalgamation of two genres, both of which are pulled off extremely clumsily. They are, in order of prevalence:

1. First Person Shooter
2. Role Playing Game

As a first person shooter, FO3 fails horribly. Movement is awkward and unresponsive. Combat is totally imbalanced by VATS. Simply initiate it to WIN THE GAME. Because of this, the game is devoid of any legitimate challenge whatsoever. You can, of course, increase the difficulty, but then the game suffers from the same problem Oblivion did with the slider all the way to the right, in that the game doesn't get more challenging, but simply more tedious. And the AI... Radiant my ass. Every enemy you face just stands wide out in the open like a retard firing at you while you blast him in the head repeatedly at close range with your combat shotgun. So, judged on the basis of a first person shooter, the game sucks.

Judged as a Role Playing game, FO3 is even more ridiculous. The writing is horrendous, the choices are inconsequential, and SPECIAL is incredibly dumbed down. The game has been designed in such a manner that no matter how fucked up your build is, you will ALWAYS succeed. Level Scaling isn't as bad as Oblivion (I remember getting owned by some Super Mutants at level 2) but it's still very much prevalent. Loot drops are determined by level, and even the power of so-called Custom items adapt to your level. Meaning you've no real incentive to explore as in Morrowind, where you might be rewarded with an ancient artifact for being such a thorough and curious player. Unless you're a hardcore LARPer, or really into hiking and spelunking, exploration is unrewarding and, thus, pointless.

Why do you have to derail the thread with your nostalgia goggles bullshit? The OP didn't ask if Fallout 3 was worth playing, he was asking about the DLCs. Sheesh, you faggots have no life.

CrimHead

Scholar
My point is that there are no good DLC for Fallout 3. The game sucks on every level and no amount of extra content can fix that.

CrimHead

Scholar
Also, "Nostalgia goggles?" I never even mentioned the older games. FO3 is horrible, whether you compare it to the originals or not.

CrimHead said:
My point is that there are no good DLC for Fallout 3. The game sucks on every level and no amount of extra content can fix that.
Yeah, right. I wonder why everyone outside the Codex/NMA enjoys it so much and it sold so well. [dramatic pause] OK, OK... I'll answer this myself: THOSE PEOPLE ARE DUMB CONSOLETARD SHEEPLE AND NOWHERE NEAR AS SMART AS THE CODEX/NMA GAMING ELITE.

Black

Arcane
If only DriacKin wasn't a lazy bum we would know what DLCs are good!

Malachi

Liturgist
Clockwork Knight said:
Like the Beast in VtM, we all have a BLOBERT inside us, struggling to get out
Updated my signature.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom