Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Might and Magic 2 the best rpg ever?

Is Might and Magic 2 the best rpg ever?

• Yes!

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No!

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
M&M2 not the best game ever, but very fine game. I loved encounter with 255 orcs, I loved some random NPC who joins after you taste certain meal in the tavern, I loved exploration and some dungeons. Final encounter with 66 devil kings was pretty lulzy. First time I kill them, silly me...

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
ecliptic said:
Anyone play the SNES or Genesis versions?

WTF? This game should not ever be played on a console. It should be played on a C64 using the 5.25" floppy discs. Emulators and consoles are for fags

Higher Game

Arcane
Dungeon grinders are the ancestors of MMORPGs, merely lacking the "social" aspect. Only the most autistic nerds could love this particular specimen.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Higher Game said:
Dungeon grinders are the ancestors of MMORPGs, merely lacking the "social" aspect. Only the most autistic nerds could love this particular specimen.

mondblut said:
I detect a lot of queers in these comments.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Clockwork Knight said:
being a queer vs. being an autist, which is better and why!??
250px-Blue_Discus.jpg

Repressed Homosexual
ecliptic said:
There is an automap.

Anyone play the SNES or Genesis versions?

Really, on the DOS version? I played it summarily but I guess I missed the automap. It might convince me to play it. Drawing maps takes too long and ruins all the fun.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
deus ex makes me write down some of the shit I CBA going into notes and search for. I kinda likeit that way.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Humanity has risen! said:
ecliptic said:
There is an automap.

Really, on the DOS version? I played it summarily but I guess I missed the automap. It might convince me to play it. Drawing maps takes too long and ruins all the fun.

It's been many moons since I played it, but yes, I'm pretty sure it did. You may have had to use an item or cast a spell to see it though. I remember playing it, not mapping the game, and finding it interesting that you could go to every square of every map.

My brother actually played it a lot more than I.

Sandsobar.gif

kris

Arcane
theverybigslayer said:
batt.jpg

Here is the proof why M&M2: Gates to Another World! is the best rpg ever. What is your opinion?

IMO this picture shows what is wrong in RPGs. Rampant genocide being all you do. But taste differs and me and Mr slayer never been on the same page.

Also let me add that the most important thing for having finished that many combats isn't only how enjoyable they are. Time is probably the most crucial. If battles are one minute it would take him 45 days (playing 24 hours per day) to complete just the battles. So the most important thing needs to be that battles are really quick. which they often were in those oldies.

Konjad said:
Quick and easy battles suck. We all know this yet so often we grind in games.

If anybody wants to play a 'Blob' game that does not have battle at every turn, but contains plenty of puzzles and other quests to solve, I suggest trying Dragon Wars.

Flatlander

Liturgist
I actually just started Dragon Wars yesterday because of this thread. At first I meant to play M&M2 but then I remembered how much crap it was and thought about giving DW a try.

By the way, you need the cartographer skill to get automap working on MM.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Humanity has risen! said:
Really, on the DOS version?
Yes. Really.

ecliptic said:
You may have had to use an item or cast a spell to see it though.
You needed the mapmaking skill for one of your characters. The skill could be bought about 2 steps away from where you start and I *think* wizards had it as a starting skill, but I may be mixing up with MM3-5 on this last point.

I remember playing it, not mapping the game, and finding it interesting that you could go to every square of every map.
There are exactly two squares that, as far as I know, cannot be accessed, both in Dragon's Dominion. Every single other square can be accessed, though doing so is not recommended (some of the squares around ground zero will eradicate one character at every step)

Luzur

Good Sir
ecliptic said:
You may have had to use an item or cast a spell to see it though.
You needed the mapmaking skill for one of your characters. The skill could be bought about 2 steps away from where you start and I *think* wizards had it as a starting skill, but I may be mixing up with MM3-5 on this last point.

thats MM3-5 you are thinking of with the skill, MM1 had no automap or skill for it.

Luzur

Good Sir
kris said:
theverybigslayer said:
batt.jpg

Here is the proof why M&M2: Gates to Another World! is the best rpg ever. What is your opinion?

IMO this picture shows what is wrong in RPGs. Rampant genocide being all you do. But taste differs and me and Mr slayer never been on the same page.

Also let me add that the most important thing for having finished that many combats isn't only how enjoyable they are. Time is probably the most crucial. If battles are one minute it would take him 45 days (playing 24 hours per day) to complete just the battles. So the most important thing needs to be that battles are really quick. which they often were in those oldies.

and Blobert would have some good point of view to share with you about it, prob something about your dog.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Luzur said:
thats MM3-5 you are thinking of with the skill, MM1 had no automap or skill for it.
I know, I was talking about MM2 not the first game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom