Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

T-Engine 4 & Tales of Middle Earth

Jason

chasing a bee
<p><a href="http://blog.te4.org/" target="_blank">Neil Stevens</a> wants you to make your own roguelike. To that end, he's released <strong><a href="http://te4.org/" target="_blank">T-Engine 4</a></strong>.</p>
<ul>
<li>single unified UI using OpenGL on all platforms</li>
<li>support for many roguelike concepts from scratch without imposing limits on what can be done with them</li>
<li>easy input (keyboard & mouse) support</li>
<li>generic save/load code using serialization, simple objects do not even need to be aware of it, it works auto-magically</li>
<li>support for both graphical mode and traditional ASCII, potentially at the same time</li>
<li>many other things, checkout the site and try it</li>
</ul>
<p>
Neil also threw together a new Tolkien based roguelike, <a href="http://tome.te4.org/" target="_blank"><strong>Tales of Middle-Earth: The Fourth Age</strong></a>, but don't expect to be Gandalf right off the bat.</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">
Some races, classes and other &ldquo;things&rdquo; also need unlocking before they can be used. Fear not, the mage class for example is indeed in the game but requires unlocking to be available, as are others. There is mainly two reasons for this design:</p>
<ul style="padding-left: 90px;">
<li>it allows to not overwhelm a new player with too many unknown choices at birth</li>
<li>it allows to give &ldquo;rewards&rdquo; without winning the game</li>
</ul>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"> </p>
<p><em>Thanks to getter77</em></p>

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
I don't like the GPL Licence. Why not MTI, or BSD, or Boost? But just ignore me. Just a personal issue with that licence.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Yeesh said:
BS and shows a total lack of respect for the customers. So I'm torrenting the software instead, and wishing that the dev gets cancer.

That rhymes.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
It's interesting that the Tales of Middle Earth thing is using the Dragon Age rules. It's slightly more fun than playing DA, though.

Only slightly because I keep dying to fucking skeleton archers and mages.

Melcar

Arcane
Kosmonaut said:
I don't like the GPL Licence. Why not MTI, or BSD, or Boost? But just ignore me. Just a personal issue with that licence.

That's why nobody likes you.

GPL is like cancer. Everyone likes cancer.

Higher Game

Arcane
TOME sucks. You have to CONSTANTLY scum for trap detection gear, because there are traps that can actually damage artifact equipment. :roll: The world design is great; the balance isn't. It would help if they got rid of some of the kitchen sink races/classes.

YourDaddy

Educated
Higher Game said:
TOME sucks. You have to CONSTANTLY scum for trap detection gear, because there are traps that can actually damage artifact equipment. :roll: The world design is great; the balance isn't. It would help if they got rid of some of the kitchen sink races/classes.

This is not TOME as you know it. He restarted (retarded?) design back in version 3. As mentioned, this version goes with something-of-a Dragon Age rules, which is strange decision, but interesting to play nonetheless. I can't talk about balance yet, but it certainly isn't bloated.
Game is as grindy as always (resting is 'free' and monster respawn instanly on floor change, which helps grind a lot), lacks some basic functions (map, damn option to turn off the music), has hi-tech ascii interface with crap poping up and floating around. Both tiles and ascii mode are quite usable. Compared to Incursion (last RL I have played), this game hides way too much information from me - It's hard to tell how are the character's attributes (dmg, armor etc) calculated and which skill/equipment contributes to them.

Despite all this, game is fun to play and difficulty seems to be just right (for me).
Level 7 so far, anyone else playing?

Gwendo

Augur
Re: T-Engine 4 & Tales of Middle Earth

Jason said:
<p><a href="http://blog.te4.org/" target="_blank">Neil Stevens</a> wants you to make your own roguelike. To that end, he's released <strong><a href="http://te4.org/" target="_blank">T-Engine 4</a></strong>.</p>
<ul>
<li>single unified UI using OpenGL on all platforms</li>
<li>support for many roguelike concepts from scratch without imposing limits on what can be done with them</li>
<li>easy input (keyboard & mouse) support</li>
<li>generic save/load code using serialization, simple objects do not even need to be aware of it, it works auto-magically</li>
<li>support for both graphical mode and traditional ASCII, potentially at the same time</li>
<li>many other things, checkout the site and try it</li>
</ul>
<p><br />Neil also threw together a new Tolkien based roguelike, <a href="http://tome.te4.org/" target="_blank"><strong>Tales of Middle-Earth: The Fourth Age</strong></a>, but don't expect to be Gandalf right off the bat.</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"><br />Some races, classes and other “things” also need unlocking before they can be used. Fear not, the mage class for example is indeed in the game but requires unlocking to be available, as are others. There is mainly two reasons for this design:</p>
<ul style="padding-left: 90px;">
<li>it allows to not overwhelm a new player with too many unknown choices at birth</li>
<li>it allows to give “rewards” without winning the game</li>
</ul>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"> </p>
<p><em>Thanks to getter77</em></p>

It doesn't run in my Vista 64bit. It only opens a window, which is only the frame, as the content is 100% transparent.

YourDaddy

Educated

Gwendo said:
It doesn't run in my Vista 64bit. It only opens a window, which is only the frame, as the content is 100% transparent.
Too bad.
I'm running it on Win7 64b and XP 32b with no problems. Also, it has been confirmed to be working under Vista 64b by someone else. Try screwing with your system graphic settings or something.

Castanova

Prophet
Kosmonaut said:

But what exactly is wrong with it? I'm interested to know as an uninformed developer.

Melcar

Arcane
Castanova said:
Kosmonaut said:

But what exactly is wrong with it? I'm interested to know as an uninformed developer.

It's personal.

Gwendo

Augur

YourDaddy said:
Gwendo said:
Too bad.
I'm running it on Win7 64b and XP 32b with no problems. Also, it has been confirmed to be working under Vista 64b by someone else. Try screwing with your system graphic settings or something.

What graphics settings should I fiddle, to run an ascii game?

Tails

Arbiter
I still honestly don't get why in Angband and ToME are DnD Kobolds. Didn't they suppose to be based on you know, Tolkien?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Castanova said:
Kosmonaut said:

GPL is like the borg. Using a single snippet of GPL'd code requires the entire program be GPL'd. Resistance is futile.

YourDaddy

Educated

Gwendo said:
What graphics settings should I fiddle, to run an ascii game?

It's OpenGL ascii game, you know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom