Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Volourn's Jade Empire Chapter 1 Impressions aka Fanboy Alert

Saran

Scholar
Just one question Vol, is it a charicature of chinese culture or a decent merging of the mythology and society of ancient china?

By that i mean the locals all go around talking like that vietnamese hooker from Full Metal Jacket, and every five minutes you have some old man blathering on about stance of the monkey and balls of the manatee.

"Sucky sucky five dolla', G.I. numba' one!"

Becuase if not ill probably give this game a go, since the CRPG genre is a bit empty when it comes to new releases at the moment.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Exitium said:
And yet anyone looking at scores needn't look further than the 8.6 they awarded Fable for all its mediocrity if they didn't bother to read the article itself. Am I to understand that Fable is a better game than Jade Empire based on the GameSpot scores alone?

Nah... a number is just a ballpark figure of where a reviewer seems to think the game should go. Its sort of like thinking one sports team is better than another simply because they beat them once. Upsets and inconsistencies happen all the time, and when you review as many games as gamespot or any other major reviewer, your scores don't always add up.

From what I understand, Kasavin found these problems with it: very limited character development, short for an RPG, linear, and combat issues. The first criticism is a serious flaw for any RPG. The last one, not so much. But if you are going to judge it as an RPG as oppose to a Bioware "choose-your-own-adventure" story...

Sol Invictus

Erudite
So I'm to understand that Fable is "Great"?

Last time I checked, all of Kasavin's complaints about Fable amount to the game being "Utter shit" instead of the 8.6 and "Great" score they awarded it with.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Aside from the first chapter, which to me felt like Bioware was just going through the motions, I have to say, I so far have come to absolutely love -- that's right: love -- this game."

I kind agree. While I did very much love chapter 1 in its own right; the main 'story twist' in it wasn't too surprising consideirng this BIO. If anyopne saw that discussion betwene VD, Ex, and I in the other JE thread; you'll know what I mean. But, even with that, chapter 1 is still very good. Not perfect for sure; but up there. And, you say it gets better...

"they gave pretty spot on review for Fable"

Haven't played Fable; but the most common complaint about JE seems to be its length yet its easily longer than Fable even if you rush through. I'm at 5 hours barely into ch2 and not counting reloads. of course, I tend to take my time unlike many others so I'm sure everyone will come in and say they beat it in 20 hours while I beat it in 30-35 hours. Ha.

"check out GS reviews for some other major games. they tend to be more critical and less susceptible to hype."

Just because their score is lower than others doesn't mean they are professional. While it's obvious to me that rating the game 9.9 is just plain silly; GS's review where they ty to spread lies about the combat and make up rumours about major framerate problems (which, btw, I have had absolutely zero problems with); it's hard to take them seriously. Don't get me wrong as overall i do like GS. I just think anyone who rates the KOTOR series over JE is just plain retarded espicially when they make up huge whoppers to show it. Remember, GS along with everyone, was kisisng KOTOR's combat when it came out. LOL I cna see one liking KOTOR's story and characters more (it's a toss up at this point for me though I'm early); but combat? No friggin' way unless you really, really, really hate straight up RT interactive combat...

"one question Vol, is it a charicature of chinese culture or a decent merging of the mythology and society of ancient china?"

I'm no China expert; but I think they do an admirable job. Just remember that the world of JE is NOT Ancient China and you'll be alright.

"Sucky sucky five dolla', G.I. numba' one!"

I have not seen anything remotely like this. And, if I did, I'd have to puke for the first time in decades. :shock:

"very limited character development'

LOL It only seems that way on the surface if you just take into account the three primary stats and ignore the 3 secondary stats, the dialogue skills, all the styles, etc., etc.

", short for an RPG"

Yeha, it could be kinda short.

" linear"

No more linear than KOTOR which GS thought was open. I guess in order to have freedom you need four planets.

", and combat issues. "

The other two you cna kinda make an argument for; but this is just silly - espicially if youa re like GS and liked KOTOR'S combat.

I do agree with your comment that the number in the end is to unimportant. i'd likely rate the game 85-90% myself which isn't too different from GS;s score; but my scale is different then theirs.

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
Exitium said:
Am I to understand that Fable is a better game than Jade Empire based on the GameSpot scores alone?

I don't know if you are meant to understand that, but it is certainly the case. And this is coming from someone who hates Fable with a vile passion because of all the failed promises it represents.

I've found Jade Empire to be kinda blah. The tiny Bioware levels and invisible fences annoy me to no end but I was expecting them. The real time combat is Ok but it feels clunky compared to other real time combat engines out there. None of those were RPGs, however, so I'd rate the combat second only to Fable as far as 'RPG's that offer real time combat.

The stats development isn't anything to write home about but does allow for some flexibility.

The story is good and the graphics are good. But I do so hate having such beauty devoted to such a tiny world. Being able to run wherever I want without idiotic loading screens and non-sensical boundaries is always number one on my list of features I look for in a game, hence my enjoyment of Gothic, Morrowind and even World of Warcraft.

I'm not necessarily regretting buying Jade Empire, but I'm close to it.

Also, I think the broad that did the voice acting for your sister in BG II did the voice of one of the students, but I can't be sure. It's driving me crazy.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
And I run accross people named Fable_rulez, and Fable01, and FableDisNDat quite often, so some people liked it...though they might just be Xbox fanboys. Obviously it doesn't seem to be a title that would appeal to a "hardcore" RPG fan, despite being marketed as a genre revolution or something like that. Who knows, maybe Fable had better load times.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Who knows, maybe Fable had better load times."

Ha. My second biggets complaint about JE. Very annoying. Fable is probbaly cheap now so now that I have an x-box I might as well spend $20 on it to at least compare these 2 games. Fable probably does beat JE in load times.

Saran

Scholar
Thanks for the response Volourn, its good to know that it isnt packed full of the stereotypes most other games have when they deal with asian culture's, at this point im fairly sick of it.

So roll on april 22nd, even if its a bit short and restrictive in what you can do, it'll at least provide a few days of fun when i rent it out.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Volourn said:
While I did very much love chapter 1 in its own right; the main 'story twist' in it wasn't too surprising consideirng this BIO. If anyopne saw that discussion betwene VD, Ex, and I in the other JE thread; you'll know what I mean.
So, THAT's where Revan has gone to!

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I think load times are a big problem with consoles these days. They are trying to increase the detail and graphic wallop to compete with the PC, but sacrifice load times to do so. Though some recent titles have really given PC gamers things to complain about as well... though my gig of RAM takes care of it for me.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"So, THAT's where Revan has gone to!"

Nah. The ch1 story twist has more in common with BG1...

"most of them seem larger than the average JE zone."

Hmm.. The avergae JE zone seems to be bigger than the avergae KOTOR zone so the area size is more than fine me. Load times are a killer, hwoever, if you have a tough battle. One battle I died like 8 times (until id ecided to use like all 20,000 buttons), and the load times nearly made me want to take a break because I just wanted to get back in the game and give the battle another shot. LOL

obediah

Erudite
Re: Volourn's Jade Empire Chapter 1 Impressions aka Fanboy A

Shagnak said:
Volourn said:
I love the husband + wife+ ox sitiuation.
What the?
Three-way animal pr0n? I knew it!

As long as it's a girl ox. Otherwise we would upset the ancient chinese. And if any dude Ox ever hit on me, I would fuck him up real bad - fucking queer bovine. Jesus rules!

protobob

Liturgist
I played the game for about 6 hours last night, early chapter 2ish.

Despite the new seting and the new combat, the game feels a bit stale to me.

Don't like:

1. Start out as a student in a school (yawn)
2. Quest: Find magical items at certain locations (yawn)
3. Walk around boring and small (but pretty) levels (yawn)
4. Evil = Being a Selfish Jerk (yawn)
5. Setting, story and writing not very interesting IMHO.
6. Fisher Price. I want some grit (ie. Planescape,Fallout)
7. Epic Story (yawn)
8. This engine needs to die.

Good bits:

1. Combat is more engaging than KOTOR ever was.
2. Nice lighting effects.
3. Voice acting doesn't suck (but it's pretty generic)
4. It's not Forgotten Realms

Make sure you play on Master, at least.

I'm not sure what difficulty Volourn is playing but the Ogres and the Toad Demons are chumps (tip: weapons own them)

Perhaps the game will get more interesting as things progress--gee, I wonder if there is a plot twist? (yawn)...

your mileage may vary

Deacdo

Liturgist
I'm not expecting a hell of a lot from the game, but I'm definately going to give a try this weekend.

That said, what's the deal with "Chapters"? I thought JE was supposed to be a non-linear game.

The combat mechanics are pretty unsatisfying so far. I'm at the second town. I don't expect Devil May Cry or God of War level action by any means...but the game pales in comparison to most 90's beat 'em ups for visceral satisfaction.

Better than Bloodlines, at least. I think JE might have worked better as a pure RPG.

Chi and Focus should regen naturally...or give the player the ability to meditate without those silly shrines.

The character design on Death's Hand is pretty whack. The big thug villain shouldn't look quite so...dinky.

Overall though I have a very favorable impression. Enjoying it more than KOTOR.

They do a good job with the setting - heavily based off the martial chivalry novels by Louis Cha, etc. Already seen a lot of nods to Bandits of the Marsh and other classics.

I don't know why they don't let you pick focus (magic/strength/speed/balanced) style and character model independently.

Deacdo said:
I'm not expecting a hell of a lot from the game, but I'm definately going to give a try this weekend.

That said, what's the deal with "Chapters"? I thought JE was supposed to be a non-linear game.

The game is *extremely* linear so far. I'm almost running on rails. Very small environments, very KOTOR.

Deacdo

Liturgist
protobob said:

Hmmm...either you really enjoyed it and just feel like bashing or you have an iron will. Seriously, I can barely play a game I absolutely love for more than an hour or two a day.

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
Deacdo said:
protobob said:

Hmmm...either you really enjoyed it and just feel like bashing or you have an iron will. Seriously, I can barely play a game I absolutely love for more than an hour or two a day.

You've never heard of gamers literally dying of exhaustion before? Not everyone is like you.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Prototob: Cool.

Don't like:

"1. Start out as a student in a school (yawn)"

Agreed with this. Not bad in its own; but they don't shouldn't feel the need to copy the OC and SOU. That said, the school setting fits a lot more in this game then it did in those ones.

"2. Quest: Find magical items at certain locations (yawn)"

That's not the main quest. Nice try; though. That's like saying FO's story is 'get the water chip'.... Oops... That IS FO's story. LOL

"3. Walk around boring and small (but pretty) levels (yawn) "

Boring? WOWSERS! As for size, why do people say this? Lien's Landing is an example of a huge. Certainly no smaller than KOTOR's. What were people expecting? Morrowind? The baddest part of this though are the slow load times.

"4. Evil = Being a Selfish Jerk (yawn)"

False. First off, the two philosophies aren't so black and white. Example from ch1: There's this guy who has a debt he can't pay and you have the option to tell him to get lost, (just rude), offer to pay his debt (Open palm), or tell him he should find a way to pay off his own debt (Closed Fist). That is not evil. Where is the evil there? Sure, there are thuggish evil moments; but you don't have to choose them and still maintain your Closed Fistness from what i can tell. Can't ay for sure though since I'm an Open Palm Dude.

"5. Setting, story and writing not very interesting IMHO.'

What? What? What?

"6. Fisher Price. I want some grit (ie. Planescape,Fallout) '

It has enough. It has enough darkness and grit. Afterall, it's not exactly Happy Happy Land. And, you can't save everyone.

"7. Epic Story (yawn) "

Yes, it has an epic story. That doens't make it bad.

"8. This engine needs to die."

You. are. crazy. I love this combat. I love this engine. It's awesome.

Good bits:

"1. Combat is more engaging than KOTOR ever was."

Understatement of the year award goes to you.

"2. Nice lighting effects."

Meh. Don't really notice this.

"3. Voice acting doesn't suck (but it's pretty generic) "

Hmm.. Only game I think that has better is BL. Maybe the KOTOR series too..

"4. It's not Forgotten Realms"

This doens't matter either way. Not a positive or negative, imo. then again, I am bias since I love the FR.

"Make sure you play on Master, at least."

Well.. Student is supposed to be easy. I'm playing on Master, btw.

"the Ogres and the Toad Demons are chumps (tip: weapons own them) "

Meh. Weapons are for useless. It steals my focus. I'm concentrating on Legendary Strike, Heavenly Wave, and Ice Shards as my three styles. I barely touch the weapon styles...

"Perhaps the game will get more interesting as things progress--gee, I wonder if there is a plot twist? (yawn)..."

We had one in ch1. Of course, the problem with BIo's twists right now is that everyone seems to expect one eventually....

Still; though I disagree with many of your assessments; at least they resonate as being honest and fair. I think you seem to dislike BIO's style of game devlopment. That's another thing tow arn others of: this is a BIO game. Don't expect anything other than that.

Decado wrote: "That said, what's the deal with "Chapters"? I thought JE was supposed to be a non-linear game."

The chapters work like they do in BG pretty much. the game is about as linear/non linear as KOTOR is. BIO never said it otherwise. They never promised a FO, or even a BG in terms of non linearty, afterall.

Aaron wrote: "Better than Bloodlines, at least. I think JE might have worked better as a pure RPG."

Combat wise there is no doubt. Story/role-playing it's a little closer though BL gets the edge due to having more non combat skills. Of colurse, JE is better simply on the fact that it isn't buggy. LOL

"Chi and Focus should regen naturally'

No, no, no. That be disgusting. I hate regenrating mana crap. Thank god it doens't automatically regen. I'd have to puke.

"I don't know why they don't let you pick focus (magic/strength/speed/balanced) style and character model independently."

Huh? Your model has nothing to do with your stats. Nothing. the only limiting factor here is how you character looks since you only have 6 (or 7) models. Magic/strength/speed/balanced is 100% up to the player. 100%.

'The game is *extremely* linear so far. I'm almost running on rails. Very small environments, very KOTOR."

Yeha, kinda like KOTOR in this aspect thoguh the areas are a little bigger. Though; it's not completely unrails. There are side quests and stuff and Tien's Landing has a lot to do. A lot. I haven't even done the main quest here and I've alreayd spent a lot of time in this area...

protobob

Liturgist
Deacdo said:
protobob said:

1 or 2 hours a day? ...You're obviously not a true video game junkie. I've played a game for 18 hours straight before...many times. That said, it's not healthy and I'm recovering. I've only played about 20 hours of video games all year so far. Of course it helps that most games suck these days.

And I don't hate the game. It's well made...a quality product. A lot of people would like this game, I would think...it just seems to be more Bioware status quo when I was hoping for something more. They need to STRETCH and get wild and funky.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"...it just seems to be more Bioware status quo"

This is true, and people who aren't the greatest BIo fans would be wise to keep this in mind if they are thinking of playing this game.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
I'm not all that much of a Bio fan or anything, but I think I might still rent this and a system for $20 and just beat it. It's not like there's anything good for Xbox coming out in the future to explain spending $100+ on it.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
I don't care what you people say. I like this game loads.

- The writing is good, and the game has a great sense of humor. The John Cleese appearance in chapter 3 is nothing short of brilliant. I goddamn mean it.

- The choices you make in the game amount to even bigger differences than in KOTOR (a game I wasn't the biggest fan of).

- The combat is fun and keeps me engaged. I'd like for someone to point out an RPG with better RT/action combat. I don't see how anyone could find that Fable somehow has the better combat.

In my experience, the game gets better as you go. Again, I wasn't blown away by chapter one, but chapters two and three are damn good.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
I can tell that alreayd too, Dip. People complaining about lack of freedom should check out Tien's Landing. Sure, it's obvious there are certain things to do; but ther'es lot of side quests. Heck, I have a good 5 quests in my journal from there and I ahven't even left the town nor explore the entire town - just the teahouse and the lover's quarrel (I'm sure you know what scenario I mean, lol)...

While the story and characters are all good; it's the combat that makes it stand out since it is soooooooooooo much better than someone who doens't care for action combat can dream about. The combat, while rather quick paced, still manages to give you actual time to think about your next move. It's wowsers!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom