Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Rockstar's gonna drown the consoletards? Alright if you ask me!

In retrospect, I can't believe that submersion didn't become the buzzword back when Bioshock was being hyped.

Mind you, as far as hype-words go, I didn't mind 'immersion'. Then again, I'm in agreement with Yahtzee that Oblivion is the least immersive crpg ever created. At least if a developer is GENUINELY striving for immerision, it encourages them to include detailed lore, detailed envirionments, and...well...details - because I can't actually think of any practical meaning that immersion possibly has other than details (ok, and not being pulled out of the game to read a manual or do some maths, but it's been a looooongggg time since any game did that). And details are good. Heck, immersion even encourages (or at least doesn't discourage) multiple paths through maps or dungeons - Deus Ex is a prime example of a high-immersion game. The modern 'kings of immersion' would probably be Bioshock and Arkane Asylum, though the former was let down by some pretty horrible pacing and action (given that it was going for SS1 rather than SS2, having good shooter mechanics was kind of important). And the 'immersion' part of both games was great, regardless of their other faults.

No, what pissed me off was 'streamlined'. That ALWAYS meant something was getting cut or dumbed down. It almost always meant loss of options.

Submersive? I think a journo has done the equivalent of making a loud remark in a crowded room just as everyone is momentarily silent, and is going to retreat back to his/her journalistic hole. It just sounds a little too obviously journo-hype: it's the kind of thing that will cause other journos to hit him on the head for almost giving their game away.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
CommandoNikomer
51 minutes ago
@Blitzkitchen
first of all, if the C&C games were in 2D, your computer would crash of memory overload. There would be wwaayy too much graphics in one window for the memory to handle it, espically on the old systems like 95, which averaged about 256KB of RAM. second of all, it would literally take years to design a game with so many units from so many different angles and perspectives.
So much fail... I think half my brain cells just died on me.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
BlitzKitchen said:
Kind of banal shit boring but this kid has me through a loop. I need a third party to come and stomp his crotch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6u5Qf7H ... ture=email

CommandoNikomer
51 minutes ago
@Blitzkitchen
first of all, if the C&C games were in 2D, your computer would crash of memory overload. There would be wwaayy too much graphics in one window for the memory to handle it, espically on the old systems like 95, which averaged about 256KB of RAM. second of all, it would literally take years to design a game with so many units from so many different angles and perspectives.

So basically the only game possible on old PCs is this:
http://www.tetris1d.org/
Because they are incapable of 2D.

Fez

Erudite
I think you'll all have to bow down to the expert there, guys. He's got you beaten with some solid logic and facts. Clearly he's played all these games through and through.

never underestimate a 14-yr old... I HACK

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
JarlFrank said:
BlitzKitchen said:
Kind of banal shit boring but this kid has me through a loop. I need a third party to come and stomp his crotch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6u5Qf7H ... ture=email

CommandoNikomer
51 minutes ago
@Blitzkitchen

So basically the only game possible on old PCs is this:
http://www.tetris1d.org/
Because they are incapable of 2D.

The people on the high-score for that game should be tracked down and shot.

Popamole existed even back then, it seems.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Jim Cojones said:
Grunker said:
The people on the high-score for that game should be tracked down and shot.
Why? They didn't have to stay in front of the screen and "play" the game all the time. Just leave a PC on with the page opened.

Exactly.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Deus Ex was easily better than 90% of the FPSes to come out over the past 10 years.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Everybody started making fun of the kid, and he started breaking down just as quickly:
That's not me being the supreme judge. That's me being honest. Something fanboys are incapable of. Or maybe you think you are?

Have you noticed in the last year or so how much the original Deus Ex is being hyped to levels it never achieved when it was a new game? And have you noticed how the industry was silent about Deus Ex between about 2001 and 2009? Seriously, did you ever see anybody comparing a new game with Deus Ex during those years? Did you ever see anyone referring to Deus Ex as a "classic"? Did anyone imitate Deus Ex? Did the people who worked on Deus Ex become industry icons? The one artificially-created industry icon who worked on Deus Ex faded into obscurity shortly thereafter, and the company that developed the game went out of business.

And what happened to change all that? Nothing, except that a new Deus Ex game went into development and needed to be promoted and marketed. Gratz on being part of the problem you love to complain about, fanboys. I can understand how industry insiders allow themselves to be used by game companies, but I can't understand at all how consumers become willing participants in that type of fraud. Are people really that gullible that they'll decide they actually do think a mediocre product was the best thing ever, just because somebody who works in the industry tells them so?

And here I thought this was supposed to be an indie website dedicated to RPGs… I feel like I'm over at PC Lamer's place, with some of the crap being shoveled around here.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
He gets much funnier when he breaks down, I have to say. That little rant about nobody talking about Deux Ex up to 2009 is hilarious.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
you blew it, your bullying, so i'm gonna go tell youtube that you did not stop when i asked you. this goes for all that made a word of fun of me, and i hope if was fun for you.

m afriad your comments about my stupidity is a little thing called "bullying". i am sick and tired of your bitching about this and that. if i think it was made in 3d let me think that way, and you think your way. one more reply to me by any of you and then ill get authorities.

:lol:

Hi-la-ri-ous.

Monocause

Arcane
I hope he'll call the proper authorities:

SNF05TV2_399737a.jpg

BTW, why wasn't Gene Hunt incorporated into the Codexian Pantheon yet?

Black

Arcane
http://boards.fightingamphibians.org/v/res/33851.html
bioware games have had consistently great writing since the mid 1990s. the only company i can think of with a better record for writing is black isle.
You're going to sit there and call two of the bestselling games of the 90s (BG 1/2), games that, i might add, were story-driven from start to finish and couldn't have held together without strong writing and memorable characters.

arcanum's writing style draws extremely heavily from bg2 (seriously if you look at me with a straight face and tell arcanum's Big Bad had nothing in common with irenicus you're hilariously insane). in fact in many ways you could argue that it's just bg2 with steampunk.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
you could argue that it's just bg2 with steampunk.

If this was true, gameplay wouldn't have sucked so bad :smug:

My guess is he's a troll though. Too many obvious, glaring mistakes.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Ow. That bit about Arcanum hit my brain for massive damage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom