Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex

• is an RPG.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • is not an RPG.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
deus-ex.jpeg

Deus Ex's plotline might not be very malleable - the player can only change some of it's minor aspects with primitive interactions such as kill or not kill, but what really matters and defines the rpg side of the game is the way the character's skills are taken into account in the gameplay so as to offer multiple interaction choices and approaches through levels. I'd go with the middle ground, but I wouldn't say it doesn't belong to the rpg genre, so yes.

Dogffdog

Educated
gothemasticator said:
I vote no. I don't agree entirely with 1eyedking, but his posts in this thread constitute a more coherent and usable definition of rpg than I've seen on this forum. Vince has interesting things to say, but he gets bogged down in sub-genres and using a whole lot of words.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
No, you simply don't get it. The definition of the TRUE RPG is constantly undergoing subtle changes, so that no video game can be a TRUE RPG. And that's the way it should be...

Black

Arcane
You can put A in front of it but it won't be RPG.
Doesn't stop Deu Sex from being good though.

Suchy

Arcane
Fuck you naysayers. There's 200% more RPG in this game than in so called "true" RPGs of modern day.

Black

Arcane
Suchy said:
Fuck you naysayers. There's 200% more RPG in this game than in so called "true" RPGs of modern day.
Well that doesn't say much, does it?

madbringer

Arcane
It's an FPS that borrows a lot from RPG's. Does it make it an RPG? I don't know. Does it really matter, though? It's a damn fucking fine game, that should be enough.

... reinstall time. :cool:

By the way, any bro knows from where to get updated d3d renderer files?

laclongquan

Arcane
Hey fuckers!

the dialogs change after you do or dont do something. You can invest in certain skills and perks. You can hoard items (oh yeah you can hoard like a miser). You can go about your business in different ways: gunblazing straight in, sneak around, use your skills to do your objectives (like eliminate enemies's bots, you can enable your side's bots, or attack them straight on with RPG, or use your skill to send spybot from up above to disable them.

It's RPG in my book. 1st person perspective is nothing, since even if you are terrible at twitch game you can just hide, take your time to aim, and snipe at your leisure.

DEUS EX is RPG. End of story.

Black

Arcane
laclongquan said:
the dialogs change after you do or dont do something. You can invest in certain skills and perks. You can hoard items (oh yeah you can hoard like a miser). You can go about your business in different ways: gunblazing straight in, sneak around, use your skills to do your objectives (like eliminate enemies's bots, you can enable your side's bots, or attack them straight on with RPG, or use your skill to send spybot from up above to disable them.
Now do the same with Diablo 2.

roll-a-die

Magister
madbringer said:
It's an FPS that borrows a lot from RPG's. Does it make it an RPG? I don't know. Does it really matter, though? It's a damn fucking fine game, that should be enough.

http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

Both OpenGL and D3D updates are there.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Black said:
laclongquan said:
Now do the same with Diablo 2.
Which doesn't have any reactivity and the only way to go about the game is killing things. :roll:

madbringer

Arcane
roll-a-die said:
madbringer said:

http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

Both OpenGL and D3D updates are there.

Awesome, thanks!

Suchy

Arcane
laclongquan said:
Hey fuckers!

It's RPG in my book. 1st person perspective is nothing, since even if you are terrible at twitch game you can just hide, take your time to aim, and snipe at your leisure.

True this.

Black

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
Which doesn't have any reactivity and the only way to go about the game is killing things. :roll:
Do you freeze things or do you slash them? Or perhaps you teleport to avoid all the baddies?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Perhaps you have to kill everything in order to progress? Are you denying this, or not?

1eyedking

Erudite
laclongquan said:
Hey fuckers!
Hello.

the dialogs change after you do or dont do something.
When there's no gameworld-changing consequences it's called "flavor dialogue" over here, I believe. SC3: Chaos Theory has them, as a counterexample.

You can invest in certain skills and perks.
:lol:
You can do this in every game since 2000, buddy.

You can hoard items (oh yeah you can hoard like a miser).
Ditto.

You can go about your business in different ways: gunblazing straight in, sneak around, use your skills to do your objectives (like eliminate enemies's bots, you can enable your side's bots, or attack them straight on with RPG, or use your skill to send spybot from up above to disable them.
Sounds like every stealth action game to me.

First person and turn-based (a true RPG markup) don't mix well bud, so that's a no.

In case you're wondering why, two words: movement grid.

You wish.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Twinkle said:

My dear weaboos, it's either "do sex" or "day of sex". :roll:

Well the license belongs to Square Enix now and also there is that D3us 3x trailer so...

laclongquan said:
1st person perspective is nothing, since even if you are terrible at twitch game you can just hide, take your time to aim, and snipe at your leisure.
Just like in RPG!

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
1eyedking said:
Mind you, all of that isn't bad, it's OK - I'd rather have Deus Ex than some epic-sounding vaporware that included all of the extra stuff that makes CRPGs Fallout so enthralling, but the experience nonetheless is satisfying.

So what you're saying is - it's good for what it is?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom