Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Alpha Protocol Review Extravaganza

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Why would ZeniMax buy Obsidian? I think they'd just quietly pick the good people (which is what, Chris Avellone and Sawyer?) and let the rest slide.

CraigCWB

Educated
Ausir said:
Well, I am an RPG fan and it does appeal to me. And it actually does appeal to more RPG fans than console gamers, mostly thanks to well-done choices and consequences bit.

That's becoming quite cliche in my opinion, especially since the vast majority of games that claim to offer "choices and consequences" via interactive dialog are just peddling an illusion.

In any case, these games that have extensive interactive dialogues have far more in common with the old text based Adventure games than they do with traditional RPGs, so I question how that became one of the defining characteristics of the genre. That's rhetorical "questioning" on my part, though. Whatever your explanation might be, it's probably no better than the 2,479 other explanations I've heard in the last dozen years :)

I like NPCs with lots of personality and extensive interactive dialogs as much as the next guy, but that's not a core game feature. Any game that's built around that as it's one defining characteristic is fatally flawed in my opinion. For example, all of my favorite RPGs offered exploration and challenging combat, detailed character development and most importantly FREE WILL on the part of the player to do what the player wants to do, when the player wants to do it. And as a free bonus to that free will, there is defacto "choice and consequence" in the game world, outside of NPC dialogs, because if you CHOOSE to do something that hoses you up then nobody stops you and you have to deal with the consequences.

Calis

Pensionado
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Calis said:
Ok, so far the reviews are quite horrible. Unfortunately, my order already shipped, so my € 23.50 are gone, GONE!

We'll see.

bro why did you have to pay only 23.50€, this is an OUTRAGE
Play.com usually have good deals on recent PC titles, I ordered Batman Arkham Asylum when it was just out from them as well. I think it has something to do with piracy, that seems to be putting some real pressure on PC game pricing.

Local stores still have the € 45 - 50 price points for new PC releases.

relootz

Scholar
Calis said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Calis said:
Ok, so far the reviews are quite horrible. Unfortunately, my order already shipped, so my € 23.50 are gone, GONE!

We'll see.

bro why did you have to pay only 23.50€, this is an OUTRAGE
Play.com usually have good deals on recent PC titles, I ordered Batman Arkham Asylum when it was just out from them as well. I think it has something to do with piracy, that seems to be putting some real pressure on PC game pricing.

Local stores still have the € 45 - 50 price points for new PC releases.

amazon.co.uk is even cheaper. You can buy there too VOD, i do it too...

CraigCWB

Educated
ghostdog said:
(re Oblivion)
Key features: "excellent music and hours of good voice acting."

Yes, well, Oblivion was a pretty good RPG compared to what came just prior and just after. It seems reviewers like this one are a bit clueless as to what exactly MADE it a good RPG, though. Which probably explains why so many reviewers think (only) RPG fans will like Alpha Protocol. It has lots of good voice acting, doesn't it? As an RPG, it's killer! :o

I'm no fan of game journalists but why is it some people seem to be complaining when they give what appear to be appropriate review scores to Alpha Protocol? Would anyone feel better if there hadn't been a bribery fail and this game got scores like FO3 did?

Is it a better RPG than Fallout 3? It sounds like a mediocre railed-shooter with a lot of NPC dialog to me. Which is not at all like fallout 3, and not at all like a roleplaying game. If it's not as good an RPG as Fallout 3 then why would anyone expect it to get Fallout 3 reviews? Wouldn't that be journalistic malfeasance of the same sort that saw Deus Ex - reviewed as an RPG - scoring higher than games like Baldur's Gate 2 and Fallout 2?

I brought the angry mob.

angry_mob.gif

CraigCWB

Educated
ghostdog said:
Son, wrong forum.

Yeah, I can kinda tell you are a fan of NPCs with a lot of personality and extensive dialogs.

Your available responses:

1) What?
2) Huh?
3) Shut the hell up
4) Tell me about that

And then depending on what you say I'll link the exact same YouTube video and promise you that you're really contributing to the discussion and making a difference in the computer game industry.

So anyway, what is this forum supposed to be about? How much the game journalists suck even though everyone on this forum exhibits the exact same behavior?

CraigCWB

Educated
CraigCWB said:
ghostdog said:
Son, wrong forum.

Your available responses:

1) What?
2) Huh?
3) Shut the hell up
4) Tell me about that

Oops! Time is up and you didn't select an answer! So, to increase your immersion I am selecting the default answer of "2) Huh?" on your behalf. Here is your cutscene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SO5VO2ixWY

Your available response are:

1) Wow! I'm such a badass!
2) See? Now that's what I call ROLEPLAYING, bitches!
3) Yawn
4) (return to previous question)

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Can someone put the troll back in its cage? It'd appear to have escaped somehow. Anyone has fire or acid, just in case?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom